UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2018, 9:40 pm   #1
Alvin
Heptode

Default 2-in-1 TV Station For BBC - 1953

Earlier today I was watching Murder, Mystery & My Family on BBC! which featured a murder case from 1953 and I was intrigued to see the headline '2-in-1 TV Station For BBC' below the main story on the page of the Daily Mirror from October 1953 that was used as a prop throughout the programme.

Not being sure what was meant by '2-in-2 Station I watched it again on iplayer and grabbed the attached screenshots then it became clear the paper was referring to the proposed new Crystal Palace transmitter so my question is was it common practice then to refer to transmitters as stations or was this just sloppy journalism?

Alvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-08-31 15-02-09.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	168457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-08-31 14-51-12.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	168458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-08-31 14-51-12 - 2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	168459  
Old 31st Aug 2018, 10:24 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: 2-in-1 TV Station For BBC - 1953

I don’t think it was sloppy journalism, the word station was used for transmitters and receiving sites, time as changed to channels in TV with more than one, interestingly we still use radio station for BBC Radio 2 etc, well I do, others might not.
Word use and meaning change over time and it’s nealy 70 years ago.
Old 31st Aug 2018, 11:28 pm   #3
Richard_FM
Nonode

Many of the earlier opening announcements for ITV companies used the term station to mean transmitter rather than the channel or company.
Old 1st Sep 2018, 8:56 am   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

Perhaps it was ahead of the times. Today we have TV etc. delivered on Platforms.
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 1:38 am   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Sorry to offer a boring answer, but it occurs to me that "transmitter" is four characters longer than "station", and simply wouldn't have fitted in the column with the typeface used, so the shorter word was substituted.
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 5:35 am   #6
Synchrodyne
Nonode

I suppose that one could rationalize this by noting that the Crystal Palace facility could be described as a “television transmitting station”, and depending upon one’s preference, this could be shortened to either “television transmitter” or “television station”.

Wireless World appears to have swung both ways as it were, judging by these excerpts:

Name:	WW 195604 p.152 BBC Crystal Palace.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	168580 Click image for larger version

Name:	WW 195607 p.321 BBC Crystal Palace.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	168581

The “2-in1” description for the duplicated vision and sound transmitters and duplicated radiators is not inaccurate in and of itself. But had an earlier TAC proposal proceeded, 2-in-1 could have had a different meaning:

Name:	WW 195512 p.578 BBC, ITA London Transmitters.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	168582

If “station” was chosen as better fitting the available column space than “transmitter”, then why not the even shorter “sender”, which was I think a BBC term for transmitters.

Cheers,
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 7:44 am   #7
Radio Wrangler

"Station" has the same roots and meaning as stationary, and a station is a fixed place for something or some operation. So a railway station is a fixed place for getting on and off trains. So the transmitting site as a 'radio station' fits the original meaning. Station meaning radio programme/service/brand evolved when one site used to transmit only one service. The railway meaning grew to mean larger places with ancillaries like fat controllers, waiting rooms, grumpy ticket issuers etc, and basic places became known as 'halts'. Buses started with 'stops' and only later acquired large 'bus stations'

David