UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2014, 5:30 pm   #1
Rick62008
Retired Dormant Member

Default How good\reliable were Sony VCRs with smartengines decks?

Lately i've been acquiring a few VHS vcrs machines and I wasn't really able to get rid of them. Not really sure if I'm actually collecting them at this point but I really like vcrs, they bring me back a lot of memories.

Now straight to the subject. I was given a Sony VCR model SLV-SE10 with the SmartEngine deck. The machine is in mint condition and it came with its original remote.

I would like some feedback from you on how good/reliable these machines were since I never had or even used one. I guess this VCR is from 1997, not the best time in vcr history probably but physically it looks pretty decent.

Thanks in advance
Old 30th Jan 2014, 6:35 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: How good\reliable were Sony vcrs with smartengines decks? (SLV-SE10(

Hi
Unlike the Philips Turbo deck which really was for one mechanism, the SmartEngine name tended to cover a variety of decks, and could even have been used to denote the electronics rather than the mechanics. However they weren't a bad machine generally speaking, and the one you have is pretty good for the time.
Glyn
Old 31st Jan 2014, 9:46 pm   #3
vhs doctor
Pentode

Default Re: How good\reliable were Sony vcrs with smartengines decks? (SLV-SE10(

Hi Rick

Your vcr has the S mechanism it is similar to SR mechanism (after SR mechanism sony VCRs have the samsung mechanism TS-10).

I have some sony VCRs, in my opinion older sony VCRs are better than new.

About problems for S mech are similar to H mech (the previous mech from S)
First the mechanism have luminous plates to reflect the infrared beam from the infrared led to start/end sensors due to years the plates are covered from dust or dirt and the system control can not recognize the end or the stop of the tape. This fault maybe cause problems on tape quides and in some ocassions you may have broken tension band base and broken quides.
The other fault it is related with the cassette block. Press eject and notice if during eject the cassette crashes "hit" on the cassette door, if the cassette crash you must replace the cassette block, if you continue to eject the tape with faulty cassette block the fault create serious damage on main plate and sometimes brake also the loading motor worm gear.
Old 1st Feb 2014, 1:59 am   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: How good\reliable were Sony vcrs with smartengines decks?

I have a Sony Smartengine VCR , model SLV SE830. The fast wind/rewind stopped working properly some time ago ( it does rewind, but not quickly), but otherwise it is OK. I use it for playing ordinary VHS tapes and rewind using my JVC SVHS VCR. I did check out the rotary switch that contriols the various functions in case it was simply dirty contacts, but no joy, and I have been too busy with more important things to investigate further.
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 10:53 am   #5
Rick62008
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: How good\reliable were Sony vcrs with smartengines decks?

Thanks for you quick responses and thoughts\opinions on this matter. The machine runs flawlessly at the moment. Actually inside and outside looks as new as in it's first day because i believe it was used less times than you can count fingers on your hand.
Not sure if this is a stereo machine or a dual mono machine as i can get audio from both channels on it's scart plug. I may have to play with it a bit more but seems like a fine machine.
I saw two possible date codes but i couldn't be sure. Seems it is from 1995 but the service manual i got online is from 1997 so if anyone could confirm this i would appreciate.
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 11:40 am   #6
threeseven
Octode

Default Re: How good\reliable were Sony VCRs with smartengines decks?

I have a smartengine Sony VCR from about 2001 which was in use until about 3 years ago. Never had a problem with it but didn't really like it as it was clumsy to program. Got an old JVC in use now, around 1995 vintage, much easier to use, better features and much faster winding speeds.
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 1:21 pm   #7
Rick62008
Retired Dormant Member

I don't really like to wind\rewind tapes on later vcrs because the tape doesn't unlace at all from the heads. Probably your 1995 JVC vcr unlaces the tape from the heads.
Still i could never get around the ideia that the tape keeps around the head drum at all times in later vcrs, what were they thinking? So that the deck could perform faster between different tasks?

This Sony vcr also does not unlace the tape from the heads. That made me wonder if there were any vcr model from any brand from the late 90's\early 00's that did unlace the tape for winding\rewinding.
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 1:49 pm   #8
threeseven
Octode

The JVC may well unlace the tape as it takes a while to go into winding mode and there is alot of mechanical action during that time!
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 5:09 pm   #9
Maarten
Dekatron

From the model nomber SLV-SE10 it would probably be a low end machine, so no stereo.
Closed Thread