UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2017, 5:12 pm   #1
HampsteadE
Retired Dormant Member

Lightbulb 1956 PYE CTM.17/ Dissasembly

Hi,

I'm Chief electrician at Hampstead Theatre and we have a show coming up set in the early 1960's. We've obtained a PYE CMT.17/ Television as a prop for one of the scenes. The plan is to remove the innards and pop in some LED tape and a battery to produce the effect of an active TV (I'm fine with this bit!). The front is always pointed upstage so there's no concern the audience will realise there's no "screen".
I just wondered if anyone has any recommendations for the best way to strip out the innards. We want to keep the glass frontage, but I think because of the weight we'll need to remove the rest of the gear. I'm assuming that the tube is CRT? I'm not overly hot on the language for vintage TV kit I'm afraid!

Anyway, I've attached some images of the TV and I'd really welcome any help/hints you could give for a smooth surgery!

Thank You!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0047sm.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	152258   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0043b.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	152259  
Old 14th Nov 2017, 5:23 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: 1956 PYE CTM.17/ Dissasembly

You should be able to pull off the front knobs then remove the chassis complete with tube. This will allow the TV to be reassembled once the production has ended.

The tube is potentially dangerous - if you crack the glass it is likely to implode, sending shards of glass flying everywhere. Take great care when removing it, wear gloves and a visor, and store it somewhere secure.
Old 14th Nov 2017, 6:07 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Agree Paul!
The chassis is held in by 4 large bolts through the cabinet bottom. After removing the knobs from the front, the front two are retained by grub screws. Once removed the 'outers' can be pulled off. Unplug the scan coils [round plug] and the connector that pushes on to the tube base. Unclip the thick wire that is connected to the side of the tube glass bowl.

Place cabinet screen down, unbolt CRT straps and removed the assembly complete with focus magnets if fitted, small magnet on glass neck of tube and remove the assembly.

With great care remove the CRT and place as Paul has suggested storing it in a cardboard box.

The loudspeaker complete with leads can be unscrewed if required. Some models have two speakers.

Please don't scrap the parts removed. The bits will be useful to enthusiasts on this Forum, that is if you don't wish to reassemble it.

The CT17 'CONTINENTAL' dates from 1957.

If your still concerned, post some pictures of the internals paying particular attention to the straps securing the CRT. John.
Old 14th Nov 2017, 6:15 pm   #4
paulsherwin

John, is it possible to remove the chassis and tube as one unit, or is the tube attached to the cabinet?
Old 15th Nov 2017, 3:30 am   #5
AidanLunn
Heptode

The CRT is attached to the cabinet. I've done one of these and have another one to do at some point.

HampsteadE, personally I would have recommended another model as these TVs are really nasty to disassemble to that sort of level, especially removing the CRT! The CRT along with its metal frame is actually wider than the space for the back cover, meaning you have to do quite a bit of manual dexterity to remove it, all the while knowing that it's large and heavy and it would do serious injury if you drop it or damage it. You can't twist it round 90degrees and remove it that way as there isn't enough space in the cabinet to twist it. I've done this before a few times. Not pleasant.

If you do still decide to remove the CRT, do NOT grab it by the "neck". Do the metal chassis removal with the TV upright then do the CRT removal with the TV on its front. Before lifting, edge your fingers around the edge of the CRT as the white plastic bezel may have bonded slightly with the CRT as the plastic has aged. Then, edge your fingers under opposite corners of the CRT and lift. This does require a degree of concentration to then get the CRT through the rear hole so you may want to ensure you are not being disturbed while doing this and that you have plenty of space. Then put the CRT in a box, preferably cushioned with something soft and put the box out of the way so it isn't accidentally knocked - the neck of the CRT is extremely fragile as the glass is thinner and this is where the two pieces of the CRT are bonded during manufacture. As you can appreciate that was 60 years ago, so a weak point in the glass when new will only be weaker now and its fragility increased. And its rarity as well, there are hardly any of the type of CRTs that these TVs used left (although I do have one spare), so if you do decide to pass it on to a collector after using it, the presence of an intact CRT will be an important factor.

It would have been a better idea to get in contact with someone on the forum nearer you and ask them if they would lend you one of their TVs (working) along with a standards converter. Don't be swayed by people claiming such old TVs as being unreliable, once restored they will be as reliable as you want them to be.

And when you've finished with the TV, please offer it to one of us, whether back together or in bits (preferably the former!)

Last edited by AidanLunn; 15th Nov 2017 at 3:36 am.
Old 15th Nov 2017, 11:21 am   #6
HampsteadE
Retired Dormant Member

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all of this wonderful advice! I'll have a think about how it's best to proceed.

If anyone has a television of this period, without it's CRT that we could borrow so I could the whole procedure I'd be immensely grateful. As you say it would be a shame to risk damaging it.

It seems the ebay listing gave no real detail other than it's period, and I've no idea as to integrity of the components!

Again thank you so much for your help
Old 15th Nov 2017, 11:45 am   #7
paulsherwin

If the screen isn't visible to the audience, you could just stick some LED strips to the front of the glass implosion screen. Alternatively, get your props people to mock something up using the original set as a model. You could make the sides from strong cardboard painted dark brown, and use the cardboard back from the actual set. (watch that tube neck though )
Old 15th Nov 2017, 1:17 pm   #8
stacman
Hexode

What about one of the tv simulator devices that mimic as if a tv is on for security purposes?
Old 15th Nov 2017, 4:42 pm   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanLunn View Post

It would have been a better idea to get in contact with someone on the forum nearer you and ask them if they would lend you one of their TVs (working) along with a standards converter. Don't be swayed by people claiming such old TVs as being unreliable, once restored they will be as reliable as you want them to be.
Although I would love to echo your advice to use a working authentic TV, I think in the theatre they are called "Practical props"; it would add a whole layer of complexity with weight, the need for signal and power, warm up time, etc.

In 1983 the producer of this:
https://youtu.be/mCRy4QJrQ4g?t=144
asked me to supply a "70s era colour TV" and I chose the GEC that you see (don't blink or you'll miss it). The set was indeed "practical" but I guess genlocking the film camera's shutter to the source wasn't in the brief.

It would be three decades until I saw the show for the first time thanks to Youtube.

I supplied a more up to date set for an episode of "Bulman"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulman
This time there was a picture on the screen, a VHS recording of a horse-race.
The director needed the picture de-focusing to an extent where you could not identify the horses and jockeys, these days it would be a trivial matter to run the footage through a blur filter, but back then it was down to me and a chain of 10M ohm resistors! All done on location with the cast waiting including one scantly dressed young actress.

I've still not found that episode to watch.
Old 15th Nov 2017, 10:14 pm   #10
1100 man
Octode

Hi,
Rather than disemboweling this set, why not put an ad in the 'wanted' section for an empty cabinet? I am sure there are several members who would have such a thing which would make your task easier. You could then offer the set you have to a good home!!
Just a thought
All the best
Nick
Closed Thread