UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2014, 2:03 pm   #1
Derminator
Pentode

Default ipod to beovision 7802

Hi. The B&O telly I repaired over three years ago with the help of the good folk on here is still going strong. The question I have is can I use it for playing back my ipod? The SCART connection is already taken up by my set top box. I actually purchased a 3.5mm jack to 5pin DIN lead and have tried it in the tape input but I'm getting nowt. The vendor of the lead thought it would work. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140127_102225.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	88399  
Old 29th Jan 2014, 3:04 pm   #2
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: ipod to beovision 7802

These are outputs; the tape one operates at a fixed level and is for recording, the amp one varies with the volume control and is used for a B&O loop amplifier so that you can listen comfortably using a hearing aid.

These sets aren't really suitable for "sound only" operation since the audio stages are run from the same supplies as the tube (etc). It is wasteful to have everything running just to use the sound, especially for a lo-fi source like an i-pod. A cheap i-pod dock makes more sense I think. If you need a Beovision with a sound-only option then the LX2502 / 2802 does it, just press <AV> <RADIO> (or any other audio source on the Beolink 1000) from standby mode and the set will play whatever is connected to the 7 pin audio-aux connector. The Unity 1 and Unity 2 sets can also be used like this (MX3500, MX4000, MX6000, LX6000 and many others).

If you really want to do this one option may be to connect whatever is in the SCART socket to the DIN AV socket (the one next to it) instead. This frees up the SCART, I'm sure a 3.5mm jack to SCART lead is availalbe. As for the DIN AV to SCART cable, this is a bit trickier to find but I have a few (genuine B&O) ones left, £10 a go if you (or anyone else) need(s) one.
Old 29th Jan 2014, 3:22 pm   #3
bobbyball
Octode

I was going to say the same but got distracted and Tim beat me to it.

Also just inputting an audio signal only via either of the AV sockets may not work as a lot of sets, possiby this one included, mute the audio until there is a video signal as well...
Old 29th Jan 2014, 4:15 pm   #4
Derminator
Pentode

Thanks for the replies chaps. I had considered an ipod dock but thought I'd try this first.
Cheers
Old 30th Jan 2014, 8:39 pm   #5
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

I have this same model TV. I can get audio without any video signal on mine through the scart socket (the cable I have splits the signal in to composite and left+right audio, so I can test that pretty well by pulling out the composite plug), which hopefully means yours can manage audio without video too. Mine doesn't blank the tube however, it just kind of flickers random junk when there isn't any video signal, which could be annoying and would I assume wear out the TV sooner too. There may be another way though, perhaps some setting I don't know about.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 8:39 am   #6
Studio263
Octode

With both AV inputs you need to provide a 12V "play" voltage on the appropriate pin to select them, note that there is no "AV" button on the remote control as some sets have. There is also a priority system implemented between the two so that the set knows what to do in the event that both inputs are active at the same time.

I have my 7802 connected to a VHS90 VTR (the posh one!) and a Sony Freeview receiver, I've set it up so that the VTR has priority so that it automatically overides the Freeview when <PLAY> is pressed. This makes for a really nice setup; when they say in the instructions for these that they are "future-proof" they weren't messing about.
Closed Thread