UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2019, 5:30 pm   #1
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Odd, old case in luxuriant veneer...what is it? (Bush 30 line TV)

hi folks

I bet someone here knows what this is. It seems to have turned up as a curio in the window of Forsyth's, a large and venerable music shop on Deansgate in Manchester. Sorry the pictures are so bad - being through glass I could not use flash and the exposures were rather long.

It appears to have a 30s-style speaker grille and what looks like a tuning dial escutcheon, and most of the knobs are missing. There's a very 'portrait' glass screen at the front end of the bellows, and inside at the other end of the bellows there might be a mirror. The bellows has no base, only two sides (and the top is wooden).

cheers
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080015small.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	176126   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080016small.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	176127   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080017small.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	176128   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080018small.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	176129  
Old 8th Jan 2019, 5:48 pm   #2

Default Re: Odd, old, case in luxuriant veneered...what is it?

Mirror drum 30 line TV, there is a picture in "The Setmakers", grab it and make it work!

Old 8th Jan 2019, 5:51 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Looks in timewarp condition too.
Old 8th Jan 2019, 7:11 pm   #4
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Mirror drum 30 line TV, there is a picture in "The Setmakers", grab it and make it work!
Wow, you're right. p223 - Bush de-luxe 30 line receiver, 1933. On the next page '...very few if any at all of the 100 sets made were sold, though some were exhibited in the foyers of Gaumont British cinemas'.

I have no idea if this thing is for sale; I am a bailer-twine and sellotape man, and this seems rather special. The shop has a website - if you search 'Forsyth music deansgate' you'll find it...

(Oh - I also now know that the first play broadcast over the 30 line system was a drama about a man who fantasised about killing his wife and was dying of skin cancer. I just watched a 60s remake (still 30 lines) with my daughter ).
Old 8th Jan 2019, 7:56 pm   #5
mark_in_manc
Octode

(I guess a moderator might like to move this to the vintage TV area? Thanks, Mark)
Old 9th Jan 2019, 12:04 pm   #6
Brigham
Octode

The Bradford museum knows of their own example, and the upper portion of one other.
This is a major find.
Old 9th Jan 2019, 12:39 pm   #7
paulsherwin

It might be worth ringing the shop and letting them know what they've got, if they don't know already. Otherwise there's a risk it'll end up in a skip if the shop closes or even has a refit.
Old 9th Jan 2019, 12:44 pm   #8
The Philpott
Dekatron

If it were ever for sale one hopes the rarity and the high reserve would discourage upcyclers. (But you never know.) I can almost hear one of them chewing a hole in the back door of the shop.
Must be an extremely rare survivor.

It actually shows up in one of the photos of the shop on google images, so i imagine it's been there a while, as a display item. At least people get to see it that way, whether it's restorable or not.

Dave

Last edited by The Philpott; 9th Jan 2019 at 12:52 pm.
Old 9th Jan 2019, 1:07 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The shop's certainly been there a long time, see e.g. https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/p...-deansgate.jpg

Maybe it was a trade-in a very long time ago?!

Would any of the early TV hertiage groups be interested? Could the mods add the identification to the title, maybe?

N.
Old 9th Jan 2019, 1:58 pm   #10
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: Odd, old case in luxuriant veneer...what is it? (Bush 30 line TV)

I've just alerted the NBTVA Chairman, to check this is known about.

Steve
Old 9th Jan 2019, 4:54 pm   #11
mark_in_manc
Octode

I hoped this would be the place to make the right thing happen.

I'll see if I can drop in tomorrow on the way to work and speak to someone. Going into shops and asking to speak to the manager is something which falls a little outside the range of my everyday experience. In fact, I don't go into shops much at all
Old 9th Jan 2019, 6:11 pm   #12
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

One of the first job interviews I attended after leaving school was at Forsyth's. Had I secured the job, one of the things I would be doing was reconing loudspeakers, a concept I was unfamiliar with at the time.

I passed by last Saturday, and thought briefly about that long ago interview, and even had a tinkle on their "Street Piano" but I did not see the Televisor, perhaps I should have gone to Specsavers?

My guess is that they know full well what they have there, and its provenance will be forthcoming on request.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 9th Jan 2019 at 6:30 pm.
Old 9th Jan 2019, 6:25 pm   #13
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
(Oh - I also now know that the first play broadcast over the 30 line system was a drama about a man who fantasised about killing his wife and was dying of skin cancer. I just watched a 60s remake (still 30 lines) with my daughter ).
I presume that would be "The Man with a Flower in his Mouth"
Old 9th Jan 2019, 7:02 pm   #14
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
I'll see if I can drop in tomorrow on the way to work and speak to someone. Going into shops and asking to speak to the manager is something which falls a little outside the range of my everyday experience. In fact, I don't go into shops much at all
Given that this is not a charity shop it might be best just to ask if they're willing to sell it. You'll soon find out if they know what it is. Otherwise I can see the price heading Northwards.

If I lived nearer I'd have already visited the shop.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Jan 2019, 11:39 pm   #15
matspar
Pentode

Just 'wow'! That is a truly incredible find and of great historical importance. I really hope this can be acquired and put into safe hands. Although it does appear to have been well preserved and cared for. Will be good to read more on this.
If this was definitely known to be for sale I'd be tempted to get in the car now, but it would be one hell of a drive!!

Matt
Old 9th Jan 2019, 11:49 pm   #16
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'm needed in the south but If Marc loses his nerve I might be able to send in a SWAT team [ie Save Wireless Antique Trophies]. My brother Phil and I have met him at his great house in Salford. A "proper chap".

Dave
Bexhill
Old 10th Jan 2019, 12:40 am   #17
McMurdo
Dekatron

According to a brochure for the Bush TV12, the makers claimed to have been the first to manufacture a commercial TV 'in 1933'. Must be this one!
I remember the Setmakers period photo but seeing one 'in the wild' is very exciting.
Old 10th Jan 2019, 5:27 am   #18
Radio Wrangler

Did it come before or after the bacon slicer? I would have assumed after.

David
Old 10th Jan 2019, 8:33 am   #19
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
It might be worth ringing the shop and letting them know what they've got, if they don't know already. Otherwise there's a risk it'll end up in a skip if the shop closes or even has a refit.
Thankfully they’ve already had a refit so it either survived or was recently found.

We are celebrating our 160th anniversary in 2017-18 with an on going refit of the store, including the recent replacement of our shop sign, which had survived since our 100th birthday in 1957.

I’ve no knowledge of TVs at all but this seems special, I hope Mark can make it or someone can call to advise them that they have something important (if they don’t already know) before some unscrupulous person reading this public thread gets there first.

John
Old 10th Jan 2019, 10:05 am   #20
beery
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
According to a brochure for the Bush TV12, the makers claimed to have been the first to manufacture a commercial TV 'in 1933'. Must be this one!
I remember the Setmakers period photo but seeing one 'in the wild' is very exciting.
Also the first publicly available LCD TV of course.
It uses a steady light source that is modulated with a Kerr Cell, the output of which is fed to a mirror drum to provide the scanning. So, although not individual LCD pixels, it still uses LCD technology...

Cheers
Andy
Closed Thread