UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2021, 11:37 am   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default TELETON VX1110 12" Hybrid.

TELETON 12" HYBRID COLOUR MODEL VX1110.
Some while ago I posted some information on this Teleton colour [or should I say color] TV. This model is the 12" VX1110. A 14" and 20" versions were produced, the TVC-14 and the TVC-20. They were very reliable receivers and the only faults I encountered were failure of the valves particularly the frame osc/output type 17JZ8 that used to crack across it's base as did the UK PL508.

Originally built for the NTSC American market the UK versions were fitted with a simple PAL S decoder with tint control that performs exceedingly well. R.F. gain is incredible producing a picture from just smoke and mirrors.

When first encountered on a UK workbench, the chassis appears to be rather odd mainly due to the use of unfamiliar type valves with strange numbers. These were mainly manufactured by Toshiba and the RCA RIP] often containing a number of sections in an attempt to reduce space.

They were constructed on what is known as the DUODECAR 12 pin glass base on first appearance similar to our familiar PL500 series base. The 12 pin types are generally fat resembling valves from a much earlier TV era. The series sports .45 amp heaters suitable for a series chain. In this chassis the Compactron valves are: Line output 31JS6A 12 pin. Damper [boost diode] 17DW4A. Frame osc/output 17JZ8 or 12JZ8A and the 3AT2 EHT rectifier. The remaining valves are an odd bunch, the only familiar feature is that they are fitted with the B9A base except the EHT rectifier hidden away in it's screened box, fitted with the 12 pin Duodecar base! The heater is rated at 3.15v 220m/a supplied of course by the heavy duty line output transformer with it's EHT overwind. The actual voltage is not given in the manual but I would guess it is around 20kv.

The 12" tube is a GENERAL delta gun type 12VARP22. The convergence is 100%. Not a trace of colour on a monochrome picture.

Picture quality is excellent giving a picture similar to the very well known Sony transportable series. The added advantage of the Teleton is that it does not appear to suffer from the low emission problem often encountered with the Sony receivers of this vintage.

This actual receiver was pulled off the tip many years ago. It only required a repair to the frame hold control that had become unsoldered from the rear of the P/C board. It must have had a busy life! The black paint has completely worn away around the channel tuning knob but I cannot see any attempt at repair! The nine back screws are in place and it makes you wonder if they had ever been removed.

Pictures show the line output section with it's hatless damper diode, [that is going back to the PY31 days..] The tube label and general layout. If you get a chance of obtaining one of these excellent Teleton receivers, snap it up. The only problem will be obtaining the American type valves and I have no idea if these are available on websites.

No repair or batteries needed not even for the 27 transistors and 23 diodes making up the rest of the receiver chassis. The service manual is one of the best, printed in colour with many internal pictures of the chassis layout etc. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton VX1110 (1).jpg
Views:	205
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	235813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton VX1110 (2).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	235814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton VX1110 (3).jpg
Views:	212
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	235815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton VX1110 (4).jpg
Views:	270
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	235816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teleton VX1110 (5).jpg
Views:	212
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	235817  

Old 13th Jun 2021, 11:44 am   #2
Richard_FM
Octode

Default Re: TELETON VX1110 12" Hybrid.

Very nice, 12 inches was never a common screen size for a colour portable.
Old 13th Jun 2021, 12:19 pm   #3
linescan87
Heptode

What a really interesting little set you have there John. I must admit I'm slightly jealous!

Thanks for the write up.

www.youtube.com/c/ojnojirishvintagetvandradio
Old 13th Jun 2021, 12:24 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

Wow ! I haven't seen one of these since the early eighties ! We had loads of the 20" ones at work with the metal woodgrain painted cabinets, they were used as decontrolled rentals left over from the 'colour boon' years.
Pinnacle used to supply the valves. By the late 70's the sets were being disposed off as they came back as the service manager was trying to reduce the amount of special valves kept in stock so these and the Emo sets had to go...
I bought a portable Teleton from a customer that had been written off as the tube was sparking in the neck. I asked the chap who did our re-guns if he would do it and he said that he would so long as I accepted the risk that the phosphors may have deteriorated.
Anyway it was fine. I sold the set to a mate's brother for a bedroom set.
Portable sets were very sought after back then!

Rich.
Old 13th Jun 2021, 12:54 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Very nice! I’d love to get something like that, but I’ve never seen one for sale anywhere.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 13th Jun 2021, 1:20 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This cabinet is black Rexine over metal shell. I'm not a great supporter of metal cabinets. Thoughts of Emersons and Philco come to mind both with American origins.
All very well but there were still a very large number of 2 pin plugs used in the UK at this time [1971]
Date on tube shows K1 so I presume November 1971. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teleton cabinet..jpg
Views:	140
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	235832  
Old 13th Jun 2021, 1:38 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Oh no! I have just seen the word EMO posted by Rich. These were without doubt the worse colour TV I have ever come into contact with. Come back Fidelity AVS, all is forgiven.

Ordinating from France they were a tangle of wires and E series valves complete with a heavy mains transformer. I encountered quite a few that had caught fire seriously.

I never encountered one that was anything like converged. I scrapped a few for their A56-120X tubes, the best part of them and even they were nothing to write about.

[All past misery of course but imagine what it is like now with constant call outs for retuning and aerial problems causing blocking.]
John.
Old 13th Jun 2021, 2:54 pm   #8
Restoration73
Nonode

Japanese design of this era is more related to U.S. circuitry, in fact the line output
valves ("sweep tubes") were also widely used in Japanese ham radio transmitters for h.f.
The deflection power for a 12" 90 degree tube is modest of course.
Old 13th Jun 2021, 4:10 pm   #9
Rubberfingers
Pentode

As advertised on the back cover of the April 1972 ETI magazine https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Ele...ay-1972-05.pdf
Old 13th Jun 2021, 4:39 pm   #10
slidertogrid
Octode

£180 was around 6 weeks wages in 1972 so they were a fairly major purchase !
Sorry to mention the Emo and bring back suppressed memories! We had the lot back then good and bad.
Saba, Finlux Peacock, Nat pan 85G, (brilliant sets!)
Asa, Tyne, some bl@@dy awful thing that looked like a CVC5 but had a 25kv overwind and ate LOPTS Berrycolour? possibly? Then all the usual stuff Pye 205, RBM 823... we were kept busy!
During the boon years they had bought whatever they could get, add to that the small firms' rental customers they had bought out and we had quite a range to look after.

I liked the Teleton sets they gave very little trouble and when they did go wrong they were simple to fix. Meanwhile other models would have intermittent colour every few weeks or would burn up their line osc transformer and associated circuits or splat their SGSs ... you know the models I am talking about!
Old 13th Jun 2021, 5:42 pm   #11
toshiba tony
Heptode

And what about the Kuba Florence. I never saw a good picture on one of those. Didn't they have parallel heaters? Only two valves in it, I saw quite a few, twenty eight inch shadowmask, I always thought they were cheap tat. At least the peacock looked nice, and with it's thyristor line stage.
Old 13th Jun 2021, 6:07 pm   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Some bl@@dy awful thing that looked like a CVC5 but had a 25kv overwind and ate LOPTS.t!
Yes it was the Combe [?] Colour I think. Designed for 220V and was very much over run on 245 volts. LOPT was very bad and could only be obtained from Germany.

The Japanese makers knew that reliability was King and used the very best components usually designed, manufactured and tested in their own factories.

My VX1110 had not been switched on for a good number of years and worked perfectly on first switch on. Nothing needed adjustment as if it had been turned off the night before.

£180 was certainly a fair sum in 1971/2 but if I remember rightly the 17" Thorn 8000 arrived the same year at about the same price and on the whole it was quite a reliable little TV. It was always the power supply that let down British Tv's. Thanks for comments, John.
Old 13th Jun 2021, 6:38 pm   #13
toshiba tony
Heptode

Yes the 8000 with its low focus tube, wheres my hanging rope. The 8500 was better, just. Then we had the terrible 9000 with its SYCLOPS psu that no-one understood (including me)
Old 13th Jun 2021, 10:07 pm   #14
Richard_FM
Octode

I remember the Emo sets were mentioned in the thread about hard to find sets.

I seemed most rental sets binned then as soon as more reliable colour sets could be sourced & I presume any private buyer did the same when they found it hard to find engineers willing to work on them & source parts.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 9:32 am   #15
Tazman1966
Nonode

Not a set I've ever encountered John. Thanks for sharing your story. As for the valves, there must be some about somewhere!
The ITT CVC5 clone, the Combi Colour I did come across and they obviously used different tubes to the ITT cousin. The two I saw were horrible! Sorry for the off topic comment.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 10:59 am   #16
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Haven't seen one of those Teletons for years - and so much better than the Kuba Porta-color (Granada Colorette) which used a simple PAl decoder and weird valves. Has quite a Hitachi look to the decoder.
I was wary of the metal cabinet - only Teleton and an odd 20" Waltham/Orion used them as far as I know.
The EMO autotransformer was well known for catching fire. Luckily they were were well retired when I started as was the nasty ITT Combi. However the Kuba Florence still soldiered on and, unlike Tony, I quite liked it.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 11:31 am   #17
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Tas and thanks for your comments. No problem! Just more weird TVs that use very odd valves, well they are to us. Yes the C.C. was nasty compared with the CVC5. Yer get what yer pay for. Regards, John.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 12:02 pm   #18
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Discussion here on Videokarma about the Teleton VX1110.

http://www.videokarma.org/archive/in.../t-267980.html

DFWB.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 2:19 pm   #19
hamid_1
Heptode

Nice to see one of these again - still alive!

Back at the end of 1990 I had at least 3 of them - well, a couple of them were the 14" version in a metal cabinet with printed woodgrain effect. A 20" version has been mentioned - I didn't know there was a version bigger than 14" and I thought there was an import ban on large-screen colour TVs from Japan in the early 1970s to protect British industry.

The faults I had were: one of them had a faulty line output transformer - it was arcing and smoking. One had a faulty EHT rectifier valve. When the brightness was increased, the picture expanded then disappeared. One of them had a frame cramp / foldover fault; the convergence was faulty too. I ended up using one of the sets as a parts donor to fix the others, then I sold the working ones and never saw them again. I kept the remaining good valves just in case, but have never needed them. Last time I looked, a few years ago, one of the valves had gone to air. In 1998 I was offered another Teleton VX1110 by someone in Hampshire but turned it down at the time. Since then I've not come across another.

The valves were made by several Japanese companies including Nippon Electric Co. [NEC] and Tokyo Shibaura [TOSHIBA] and yes, they're unlike anything in British sets.

One thing I vaguely remember about these TVs is that the sound output was all solid-state so the sound comes on immediately after switch-on, then there's a long wait for the valves to warm up before the picture appears. Did I remember that right? Perhaps John could confirm.

I have seen some valve colo(u)r portables in the USA and Canada from makers such as Sanyo and Quasar. I believe the Teleton hybrid small-screen TVs were sold under another brand in the US. Small portable colour TVs were not common in the UK until the late 1970s by which time valves had disappeared.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 3:53 pm   #20
Sideband
Dekatron

I seem to remember a hybrid portable made by Crown? Would have been early 70's as it was at my first job and I left there in 1973. I think it was valve timebases and the rest was solid state. I think it use conventional valves like PL509 but was also Simple Pal. Colour wasn't very good as I recall.