UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jun 2021, 10:44 am   #61
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Department store radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractionist View Post
Many years ago I read a BVWS article about the restoration of 'The Kensitas Set' - this being a radio 'awarded' to consumers of a certain number of [a popular brand of] cigarettes at the time i.e. via the collection of coupons. I'm not sure if anyone determined who actually manufactured this particular set
As far as I know it was never concealed, the radio was the KB Masterpiece two-valver.

http://www.kbmuseum.org.uk/kb_images...asterpiece.htm

Paul
Old 14th Jul 2021, 12:22 pm   #62
Rejectostat
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractionist View Post
Very obviously most [if not all] Department Stores didn't make their own radios and TV's etc. - but another interesting thread may also be about who made what for who? 'The Setmakers' covers quite a bit of this ground/subject and it is well known that Ekco made sets for Radio Rentals - but who else did?
K.B. made receivers for Radio Rentals in the mid 1930s. Seems to have been made alongside Ekco for presumably the same model - certainly it is the same cabinet moulding. Interestingly the bakelite cabinet for the KB is a mottled dark green, as opposed to the couple of Ekco versions of the Radio Rentals receiver I have seen which are in the more usual mottled brown bakelike similar to other 1930s Ekco's.
Old 14th Jul 2021, 1:15 pm   #63
stevehertz
Dekatron

It would have been Ekco who made the bakelite cabinets for KB and in effect, RR. Ekco did a lot of work for other companies in this respect, having a large bakelite moulding plant.