UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2013, 1:14 pm   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default 11 Year Old Dell Desktop Requires CD-R/RW Drive. Help!

I hope my computer qualifies as "vintage", being that it was made in 2002?

Recently the CD-R/RW drive has developed a problem.

Whilst it will play a commercially recorded audio CD, it will no longer play (or recognise) any music CD's I previously recorded on CD-R's and it has the same problem with CD-RW's that were recorded on it.

The drivers are the correct & latest for the drive, or so the help section on my computer says and so, I'm suspecting it's the actual drive and here's my dilema.

The fitted & original drive is an HL Hitachi GCE-8400B and whilst I've found several places that are advertising this model for sale, only one that states it's for my Dell Dimension 4500 computer and that source is in the USA and the unit is as old as mine (2002) and, whilst it's advertised as "Tested & Working", the P&P is high and, being made in 2002 I could be getting a "Pig In A Poke".

The CD drive is an IDE (?) type and so, do I have to fit the same make or could I use any other make, as long as it has IDE connectors and more recently/new make?

Your advice would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Tony
Old 6th Jan 2013, 1:28 pm   #2
brunel
Heptode

Default Re: 11 Year Old Dell Desktop Requires CD-R/RW Drive. Help!

Any IDE drive will function correctly.

http://www.cclonline.com/product/528.../IDE-/CDR4439/
Old 6th Jan 2013, 2:15 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

And they're dirt cheap too. I have loads of "pulls" but it would cost more to post one to you than they're worth.

Probably best to fit a cheap, branded DVD drive, just like Brunel has suggested. I've found good deals on Play.com too, with free p&p.

Nick.
Old 6th Jan 2013, 2:25 pm   #4
paulsherwin

As others have said, these are generic components and there's no point in trying to find a particular long obsolete model. Just check the master-slave jumper is in the same position as the one you're replacing.

Like Nick I have a box full of drives scavenged from scrap computers. If you ask around locally you may find a suitable drive FOC.
Old 6th Jan 2013, 5:06 pm   #5
John_BS
Octode

By chance I've just pulled a Mesh PC (circa 2003?) out of the loft and it's on its way to the local skip. It has both CD and DVD drives, either of which you're welcome to.

John
Old 7th Jan 2013, 2:42 pm   #6
camtechman
Nonode

Sorry I haven't replied before, a trip to the doctors was called for as, due to my age, my leaky 'plumbing' is acting up again and so he sent me to the hospital for futher tests.

Once my mind is settled down I'll read all again and will come back.

Oops.....must dash!
Old 7th Jan 2013, 7:27 pm   #7
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Tony - have you tried cleaning the unit lenses?

If not, cleaning kits are available from cheapo stores such as The 99p Shop etc.
This is always worth a try first, befreo gioing deeper.

Kits with liquid (isopropyl alcahol) are best and make sure they are for CD (or DVD+CD)

If you do have to swop units, make a note of strap(s) *AND* cables positions. Generally the positions/sockets of both are labelled, but they may not be in the same place/order on a different unit.

Good Luck - Mike
Old 7th Jan 2013, 9:31 pm   #8
paulsherwin

IDE CD drives are usually virtually identical at the back though, with the Molex power socket on the right, the IDE socket in the middle and the master/slave jumper on the left. You can't put the cables in the wrong way round, and it doesn't matter which of the power or IDE connectors you use so long as the interface is correct (so, the HD will usually be on a cable connected to the primary interface, and the CD on one connected to the secondary interface). It really is pretty idiot proof and probably the easiest hardware job you can do on a PC.

If you take the lid off the drive you can clean the laser lens with a cotton bud and a bit of meths, but it's probably not worth bothering if a replacement drive is available.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 10:07 am   #9
terrybull
Octode

You do not say if your drive used to play these okay or if it is something that has developed. Some CD drives, particularly older ones are fussy about the media they will play. Are the discs that won't play all the same brand. Pre recorded discs are a manufactured in a different way to your home recorded discs. You may find a brand or type that will play and you should stick to these. My CD player will not play Trackdata brand although the PC is happy with them. As others have said changing the drive is probably the easiest route assuming it is standard. Take the 'old' drive with you to a suitable shop and they will tell at a glance if it is standard. I am sure it will be.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 11:12 am   #10
camtechman
Nonode

Hi terrybull,

Yes, the unit used to work well on both any CD-R home recorded audio content & CD-RW home recorded data/audio etc. I use both Maxell, Philips & Sony CD-Rs & Maxell & Imation CD-RW's.

The problem didn't happen overnight but more progessively over a period of some months and, at first, the problem started with loading recorded CD-RWs and it took a couple of insertions of the disc before it loaded it, then it stopped altogether loading & even recognising not only recorded CD-RWs but also blank ones. Then the problem started with CD-Rs too.

All that happens now is when either type of disk is inserted, the green loading LED flashes, a brief sound of the disk spinning starts and then stops and the LED flashes for several minutes and then stops. On checking the drive on My Computer, nothing shows as loaded or recognised.

However, it will still accepts & loads commercially recorded music CDs.

I did obtain a good make cleaning disc kit but to no avail.

John BS is going to help me out.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 11:29 am   #11
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_BS View Post
By chance I've just pulled a Mesh PC (circa 2003?) out of the loft and it's on its way to the local skip. It has both CD and DVD drives, either of which you're welcome to.

John
PM sent.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 7:26 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Would never use IPA on lasers,use cotton bud with just a quick lick! IPA is for vcr heads.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 9:17 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

There was much discussion about this in Television mag. Some companies' service departments definitely said IPA was the cleaning solution of choice, others said using it would be a "grave error".
Old 8th Jan 2013, 11:40 pm   #14
julie_m
Dekatron

It depends how pure it is and what impurities are present.

Acetone (propanone) may be present in impure isopropanol (propan-2-ol). If it's only going to be used as a general-purpose cleaning solvent, it isn't usually a big deal; they are miscible, similarly (not very) dangerous, and tend to work on the same kinds of dirt.

However, acetone discolours certain plastics, especially the stuff used in CD lenses and CDs (try it, if you have a sacrificial disc and wear, or know someone who wears, nail polish).

If the IPA you use is laboratory-reagent grade pure, it will be fine. If it is just sold as a general industrial cleaner, it may have been "cut" with all manner of nasties.
Old 13th Jan 2013, 9:21 pm   #15
camtechman
Nonode

UPDATE

Many thanks, replacement unit fitted and all is now working again.