UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2021, 3:57 pm   #1
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.
Default Floppy disk controller card

Hello all, I have an old 486 machine whose floppy controller has packed up. It also provides 2 com ports on an additional bracket, The 9 pin port works with the mouse but the floppy drive can't be read. When I try to transefer from the c drive to the a drive I get drive not ready Abort Retry Fail. There is no makers name on the card which is of the ISA type. I use the machine to program ex pmr radios and I occasionally need to transfer files to a floppy to send in the post.
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 4:54 pm   #2
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Re: Floppy disk controlled card

Definitely not the drive itself or the floppy disk?
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 5:17 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Agree, I would look for physical problems on the drive - snapped drive belt (if it has one) or dirty heads possibly. I would try another floppy drive first, if available. I'm assuming you have already tried several different discs.

I have several 3.5"" 1.4MB drives with beige fronts here, believed working, if you can't find one anywhere else. I'm assuming your drive is not a 5.25" drive?
Old 4th Feb 2021, 9:48 am   #4
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Thanks for your replies, I tried the drive in another computer and it worked so I concluded that the controller card has failed, the light on the drive comes on but the motor doesn't appear to spin so I reckon the drive is not getting the motor spin command. I have looked on ebay for a replacement card but there are so many I could buy one and find it doesn't suit.I will ask locally among local radio amateurs if anyone has either a card or a scrap computer I could raid for spares. I tried to upload a picture of my board but I couldn't get it to attach to the posting.

Thanks again
Dave GI8LCJ
Old 4th Feb 2021, 10:01 am   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

What interface (ISA/PCI etc.) does your controller card use?

Yes, an image would help. Did you remember to click "upload" when attaching?
Old 4th Feb 2021, 10:55 am   #6
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Have you checked in the bios?

A lot of older computers have an A and B drive option so you may be able to switch it to the B drive? which you can set up in the starting order of the computer.

ie.

A or B first or second in starting first.. or C (hard drive) first then A or B etc
Old 4th Feb 2021, 11:07 am   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Remembering Philips software of old, I would not be surprised if it is hard-coded to run from drive A:.

I would still at least look into the drive to see if it uses a belt, and if that is OK. I know you say the motor is not going, but it might be fairly quiet.
Old 4th Feb 2021, 11:09 am   #8
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

The card uses an ISA interface slot. As in the picture, originally I couldn't see the upload button as the upload from computer window was not expanded.
Old 4th Feb 2021, 11:21 am   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I would still at least look into the drive to see if it uses a belt, and if that is OK. I know you say the motor is not going, but it might be fairly quiet.
Don't forget that the drive has been shown to work in a different computer, so the problem is presumably either with the controller or its connection to the drive rather than the drive itself.
Old 4th Feb 2021, 11:28 am   #10
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Another attempt to get picture onto the posting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2577.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	225939  
Old 4th Feb 2021, 11:36 am   #11
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
...the problem is presumably either with the controller or its connection to the drive rather than the drive itself.
Apologies, I missed that in #4.

A 'Multi I/O card!' Now there's a term I've not heard in...
Old 4th Feb 2021, 1:19 pm   #12
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Snap!

Look what I've found lurking among my boxes of bits - its exact twin. If you would like it, PM me with your address and it's yours for the cost of postage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floppy disc controller.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	225951  
Old 5th Feb 2021, 10:27 am   #13
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Floppy disk controller card

The twin is on its way to TWT. Let's hope this fixes the problem.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 12:08 pm   #14
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

More info on my floppy drive problem. When I boot up from the c drive and then try to change to the A drive by typing A: Enter. I get general failure reading drive a. I can hear the drive mechanics in action but the A prompt does not appear. The controller card must be sending the power to the stepper motor and the disk spin motor but it appears that the processor is not getting the disk select information. Anyone had this before?

Dave
Old 16th Feb 2021, 9:15 pm   #15
Slothie
Octode

It might be worth getting some isopropyl (not acetone!) and cleaning the heads, slide rails and any drive screws that move the head. Lightly lubricate with light oil (3-in-1, sewing machine oil or best of all white lithium grease) as If they are sticky or bind they can appear to move but not be able to get aligned with the tracks. Often with old floppies the lubricant can go hard and crusty as the volotile elements evaporate and dust sticks to what is left. look for dust, hair etc that might be getting trapped too. Look to see if any opto sensors are not obstructed, if the controller cannot get the "track 0" signal when it tries to reset the drive you will get a general failure error too. Dirty heads can cause problems too, though you usually get "bad sector" errors.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 10:12 pm   #16
Dave Moll
Dekatron

But hasn't it been estalished that the drive works in a different computer? (See post no. 4.)
Old 16th Feb 2021, 10:33 pm   #17
Slothie
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
But hasn't it been estalished that the drive works in a different computer? (See post no. 4.)
Ah. Yes. Ignore that
Old 18th Feb 2021, 11:47 am   #18
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Hi all, when looking for the CMOS battery on the motherboard I was surprised to find that there wasn't one. I did find a real time clock module and the BIOS chip. Has anyone come across such a setup and can understand why no backup back up battery.

Dave
Old 18th Feb 2021, 11:51 am   #19
cmjones01
Nonode

There are lots of real time clock modules out there which have a battery built in. They're often made by Dallas semiconductor. Common in some test equipment is the DS1287, but I don't it has a real time clock, just battery-backed RAM.

The batteries fail, of course, which requires replacing the whole module with a new one (if available) or a substitute.

Chris
Old 18th Feb 2021, 11:56 am   #20
G6ONEDave
Octode

Try typing B: in your DOS prompt. It could be that the computer bios is not seeing A: drive. If the B: works then check if the drive has a link for changing it's reference from A to B, not all floppy drives have the link but might be worth checking it, later drives are normally internally set to A link. It could also still be a bios setting, which will need to be checked.
As an after thought you could try swapping the connector socket on the ribbon cable to the floppy, they used to have 3 sockets and had cross over wires to the sockets, so it might simply be that the drive is on the wrong socket.
Dave
Closed Thread