UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th Oct 2020, 10:48 pm   #21
winston_1
Hexode

Default Re: Irish P&T 332 - need help to connect in Ireland

Ireland uses the American sockets (called RJ11 I think) but they are wired 3 way with master and secondaries as in the UK system. The centre pins are A and B wires and one of the other is the bell wire. Not sure of the details though.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 6:06 am   #22
dagskarlsen
Heptode

I have never been in Ireland but I doubt that the internet adapters (ATA's) are wired with more than the 2 center wires. If you want to keep the 3 wire system, you have to plug a master socket in to the ATA so it splits to 3 wires, and I see no reason for that since the ATA don't accept rotary dials, and the tinkle problem will be no problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston_1 View Post
Ireland uses the American sockets (called RJ11 I think) but they are wired 3 way with master and secondaries as in the UK system. The centre pins are A and B wires and one of the other is the bell wire. Not sure of the details though.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 8:38 am   #23
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Isn't the OP trying to connect to the Irish PSTN rather than via an Analogue Terminal Adaptor (ATA)?

If, as Winston says, Ireland uses RJ11 but with a third wire, it is likely that the ringing wire is on pin 2, given that pins 3 and 4 are presumably B leg and A leg respectively. I understand, however, that the telephone in question is now ringing on incoming calls, and the remaining problem is that LD dialling is not being recognised.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 10:32 pm   #24
space charge
Tetrode

after the changeover to digital systems there was a period when loop disconnect was recognised, with the passage of time the likelihood is that it all changed to dtmf only. the dial breaks are probably seen as some sort of command and gives the nut or whatever tone you are hearing. scorpion electronics in kells co meath sold a dtmf machine i dont know if they are still in business.alternatively buy a cheap phone and gut it for the tone generator and keypad . regards EI7KA
Old 10th Oct 2020, 12:22 pm   #25
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Ralph Meyer is one of the best persons I know to explain about older phones etc, here is a link to an test of 3 adapters from rotary to tone. (The link downloads a pdf to your computer.)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8FZIqLOB65Oz3O

Still this are only 3 of many solutions. The more complicated ones but very well may be to get a PABX that converts from pulse to tone. (Panasonic has several) The Smart1 may do it extremely well, but need to be programmed before use. Some Chinese versions from eBay may do it for less money. Sometimes some German converters with external power-supply has been recommended due to that they do not steal power from the system. I have tested some of these, and I use both Smart1 and Dialgizmo. I have a panasonic, and the only reason for not using that is that I have an antique working exchange that I struggle with to work, and it seems to turn out pretty well.

dsk

Last edited by dagskarlsen; 10th Oct 2020 at 12:34 pm. Reason: Adding info
Old 12th Oct 2020, 4:58 pm   #26
PandTman
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by space charge View Post
I presume you are in the 021 area print the next 3 digits of your number i may remember what type of exchange it is.EI7KA
Yes no issue with incoming calls, next 3 digits = 438.
Old 14th Oct 2020, 6:53 pm   #27
space charge
Tetrode

PandTman I did a small experiment today. i hooked up an Ericcsson 652 dial phone. We are on an AXE10 type of exchange it worked OK for pulse dialling. You are probably on an AXE10 type, so much for the no pulse theory. Have you made any further progress? There are 3 wires, red which is a line wire, white which is the other line wire and finally green which is the bell wire. Try this, swop the line wires and see what happens.

EI7KA
Old 14th Oct 2020, 6:57 pm   #28
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Surely, the transmitter wouldn't work with the "B" leg and ringer wire swapped (no DC to power it), so that is unlikely to be the problem.
Old 14th Oct 2020, 8:50 pm   #29
dagskarlsen
Heptode

PandTman do you have any volt or ohm-meter available?
Old 14th Oct 2020, 9:42 pm   #30
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by space charge View Post
PandTman I did a small experiment today. i hooked up an Ericcsson 652 dial phone. We are on an AXE10 type of exchange it worked OK for pulse dialling. You are probably on an AXE10 type, so much for the no pulse theory.
EI7KA
PandTman has told us that his telephone service is with Sky, that means (at least here in the UK) that his line may no longer be connected to Eir switch in the exchange building, as Sky have been rolling out their own "LLU" exchanges or concentrators which, (again, UK experience), do not support pulse dialling.
Old 17th Oct 2020, 11:30 pm   #31
space charge
Tetrode

whats the state of play ptman. space charge
Closed Thread