UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2020, 12:07 pm   #1
kgwatson
Diode

Default Philips Matchline Classic 28" CRT TV

Hi

I'm looking to buy this TV specifically to play old console light gun games which don't work on modern TVs.

From the sticker on the back (see attached photo) it seems it has the FL1.10 chassis and is 50Hz, so it should be fine for PAL games, however I also have a number of 60Hz NTSC games which will run on a modified Playstation 1. My question is: will this TV handle the 60Hz NTSC games?

Thanks

Kim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	215115  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 2:15 pm   #2
John123
Heptode

Default Re: Philips Matchline Classic 28" CRT TV

Should be fine. Just stick to using RGB via SCART cables, although given it's quite a modern set I wouldn't expect any issues with it handling NTSC 3.58 and 4.43 over CVBS/ S-Video.
Old 7th Sep 2020, 3:40 pm   #3
kgwatson
Diode

Smile Re: Philips Matchline Classic 28" CRT TV

Good news! Thanks very much
Old 8th Sep 2020, 9:16 am   #4
kgwatson
Diode

I picked up the TV last night and it works fine. NTSC games are in colour via one of the SCART sockets (EXT1), if I connect it to EXT2 it is monochrome for NTSC.

However, the picture is offset horizontally and I'd like to stretch it vertically to fill the screen. See attached photo of a PAL game which is letterboxed, NTSC games have even larger borders. There are no adjustments for this via the remote, which has the strangest menu system I've ever seen on a TV! I'm used to Japanese TVs, this is very different! Is there a hidden menu to adjust picture size and position or do I need to take the back off and twiddle some knobs? If so, which ones?

Many thanks

Kim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SaturnBomberman (Small).jpg
Views:	308
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	215203  
Old 8th Sep 2020, 11:43 am   #5
OldTechFan96
Octode

I'm sure that it is common for 50Hz PAL games to have an annoying border above and below the image.

This was the case when I last used my Playstation with a CRT.

IIRC, the work around was buying NTSC versions of the games you want to play and installing a region free mod.

My knowledge of retro consoles is a bit rusty these days.
Old 8th Sep 2020, 6:06 pm   #6
John123
Heptode

I recall with the Sony's you could at least compensate for RGB shift by simply hitting the input select button again and it would move the image over to the right a little. Perhaps try cycling through the A/V inputs.

Also worth ensuring your SCART lead(s) are wired-up correctly for RGB, as Pin 16 (Blanking) should have 1 to 3 volts on, and Pin 8 (Switching), around 9 to 12 volts (note that 5 to 8 volts instead on Pin 8 means 16:9 switching on some sets). At least that way you can rule out any mode/ input selecting/ switching issues.

Picture/ geometry-wise; if the set has an on-screen menu system the chances of it having an 'electronic screwdriver' or 'service mode' is almost a given. You might end up having to open the set up anyway, as activating the service mode may involve jumpering-out two of the test points. Caution advised as a). adjusting the wrong option could potentially leave you with an inoperable set, and b). potential shock hazard from a live chassis!

Realistically, any adjustments made to the image in 60Hz mode with have a knock-on effect when you go back to using 50Hz. Depends on what you use most..or try and find a halfway house between the two. Not ideal, I know!
Old 8th Sep 2020, 11:09 pm   #7
kgwatson
Diode

This TV doesn't seem to have any kind of service mode, only a very rudimentary on screen menu which looks like 1980s teletext!

I took the back off and tweaked various pots with a sharpened bamboo skewer . They were easy to identify via the little icons on the PCB. This was a bit nerve wracking as I've never messed about inside a live CRT TV before!

The picture's not perfect now, but it's a lot better than it was. I'm using a PS1 and a Sega Saturn currently and they both output slightly different signals, I've tried to get the best compromise for both consoles. All my light gun games work (PAL & NTSC), which was the main reason to get a CRT in the first place.

Thanks for all the advice.

Kim
Old 9th Sep 2020, 10:33 am   #8
Richard_FM
Nonode

I had a 21" Philips set probably the same age as yours which seemed to overscan slightly on the left when displaying an RGB signal for some reason.

Luckily some Playstation games had the option of being able to shift the screen to get it centred.
Old 9th Sep 2020, 1:06 pm   #9
Maarten
Dekatron

The FL chassis sure has a service mode, though it's a bit limited and many adjustments are still carried out by potentiometers, as you found out. You go into service mode by shorting the two pins on the small signal board.

On the other hand, I don't think there's any need to use the service mode now, as all the needed adjustments are done by potentiometers.
Old 9th Sep 2020, 2:55 pm   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

This was a good basic chassis which I'm surprised made it into a Matchline set as those usually had the top of the range chassis with all the menus and features you'd expect. Agreed the menus on this are pretty basic, but the plus side is you've got less to go wrong and plenty of real presets to twiddle! And a good tube as well.
Old 9th Sep 2020, 6:33 pm   #11
Maarten
Dekatron

This was the goto chassis for all Matchlines in the first half of the 1990's, even the 50Hz models. FL stands for Feature Line, so even the 50Hz version wasn't meant to be basic.

It was basically the second chassis from Philips to use real menus, mid- and low-end models only sported OSD.
Old 9th Sep 2020, 6:57 pm   #12
3CX15000A7
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
This was the goto chassis for all Matchlines in the first half of the 1990's, even the 50Hz models. FL stands for Feature Line, so even the 50Hz version wasn't meant to be basic.

It was basically the second chassis from Philips to use real menus, mid- and low-end models only sported OSD.
If I remember correct, the Anubis B from early 90s also had a real menu. Also some GR2.X but I dont remember which one . .

Horizontal offset in RGB mode was in later sets corrected automatically. Many had a parameter for it in the service menu. I don't know why it always has a offset compared to composite . .
Old 9th Sep 2020, 7:40 pm   #13
Maarten
Dekatron

The first was the D16 chassis, I think even more basic than the FL menu which looked quite fancy for its day, in my opinion. The Anubis B and GR2 chassis overlapped late production FL models.
Old 9th Sep 2020, 7:42 pm   #14
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3CX15000A7 View Post
Horizontal offset in RGB mode was in later sets corrected automatically. Many had a parameter for it in the service menu. I don't know why it always has a offset compared to composite . .
It was because of the different group delays through the PAL delay lines (both luma and chroma delay lines) and the decoder in composite mode, RGB went more or less straight through the decoder chip missing out/bypassing the PAL parts.