UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2011, 7:05 pm   #1
ms660
Dekatron

Default Speaker cone

Anybody do speaker cone/diaphragm repairs (vintage)?

Lawrence,
Old 5th Dec 2011, 9:15 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Speaker cone

If it's a paper cone and not too bad, tissue paper and diluted PVA is quite effective.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 5th Dec 2011, 9:43 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Thanks, heres an update....I have an old loudspeaker where the cone has been pushed out; so far that the voice coil has come right out of the pole-piece and jammed across it, the diaphragm has obviously come away from the frame, the cone has a rip in it and a couple of creases.
Disaster...well not entirely. I managed to get the cone back over the pole piece after a few careful attempts. The diaphragm is now sitting back on the frame and the cone has resumed its shape, the tear in the cone has more or less settled back insofar as the frayed edges of the tear are neatly overlapping each other.

I powered the speaker up expecting the sound to be the worst ever,
but it's not too bad, the only problem (bearing in mind the diaphragm is not glued down) is a small grating noise at low volume and some rattling at high volume, ie symptomatic of voice coil being off centre.

I would like to glue down the diaphragm back to the frame but I am concerned that if I disturb it, it might make matters worse.
Sadly the pole-piece is not removable (no screws on back of magnet) otherwise I would glue the diaphragm down and shave a few microns off the pole-piece and reassemble.

Lawrence

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 6th Dec 2011 at 5:28 pm. Reason: Typos corrected.
Old 5th Dec 2011, 10:31 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Standard procedure is to shim between the voicecoil and the polepiece with thin card before glueing the spider and surround. Depending on the design, you may need to carefully remove any central dustcap / dome to do so. It's worth running a bit of adhesive tape, doubled-over so that the sticky bit's outside, round the gap before starting, to remove any debris.
Old 5th Dec 2011, 11:04 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

I tried pulling off the dust cap originally but it's well glued on, the cone is around 70 years old and very "dry". The cap is a circular piece of felt/cloth.
I could cut the cap to gain access but I will have use a new razor/scalpel blade and take it carefully as my eyesight ain't what it used to be. I will have to repair the tear in the cone first.

Lawrence.
Old 6th Dec 2011, 10:59 am   #6
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

All you do is hold the cone with finger and thumb to feel that the coil is free to move so the position is correct. Repeat the process after putting on the adhesive and then put the surround into position, again checking that the cone is still free. You could try just a couple of spots of adhesive at first before applying the rest, repair the tear afterwards. Make sure any rear suspension is fixed as well.
Closed Thread