UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2021, 10:40 pm   #1
brianbelfast
Triode

Default Interesting Photo

Interesting photo I saw on Flashbak.com earlier. Peterborough 1980.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reunions-peterborough-41.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	246395  
Old 23rd Nov 2021, 10:38 am   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Interesting Photo

I wonder about the date. There might be one or two post-1964 sets there (far left and far right) but in 1980 most scrap sets were late Sixties monos and early colours. Or perhaps the sets in Peterborough were very long lived?
Old 23rd Nov 2021, 11:27 am   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

Judging by the flared trousers alone I would have thought that the photo might be a bit earlier than 1980.

Alan
Old 23rd Nov 2021, 11:44 am   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

I have posted this picture before on a previous thread I can't remember what the thread was about now though.
It was taken in the mid 1970's in New England Peterborough not far from where I (later on) had my shop. It looks to have been taken in the Gladstone street area there were a few similar places that were good pickings when I was a lad. I thought originally that it was the back of British Relay who had a workshop in an old chapel but my mate Mick who worked for Relay in later years doesn't think it was. The Photo is one of many taken around the same time and are featured in a book of pictures of New England .
Rich
Old 23rd Nov 2021, 1:31 pm   #5
brianbelfast
Triode

Yes it struck me as being a lot earlier too. I'd love to stumble across a stash like that now.
Old 24th Nov 2021, 9:38 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
I have posted this picture before on a previous thread I can't remember what the thread was about now though.
It was taken in the mid 1970's in New England Peterborough not far from where I (later on) had my shop. It looks to have been taken in the Gladstone street area there were a few similar places that were good pickings when I was a lad. I thought originally that it was the back of British Relay who had a workshop in an old chapel but my mate Mick who worked for Relay in later years doesn't think it was. The Photo is one of many taken around the same time and are featured in a book of pictures of New England .
Rich
Does this help?
The photographers recreation in 2016, same two lads, and presumably same location and viewpoint.

Name:	receiation.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	246522

https://laptrinhx.com/news/photograp...s-ago-AlE8xAp/
Old 24th Nov 2021, 11:50 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I was very impressed when you posted that photo the first time Rich and printed it off! Apart from the historical evidence of a time when these sets were so available and little valued [like Radiograms for years until a new "up-cycling" craze] its a great photograph in terms of it's composition that captures the moment so well!

Dave W

PS You actually posted the same comment on the very interesting thread "The TV Graveyard Highgate London" [started by it's ur aerial on 22/7/21] Rich! I think I may have printed the photo in response to your posting earlier than that though!

Last edited by dave walsh; 25th Nov 2021 at 12:11 am.
Old 25th Nov 2021, 11:57 am   #8
slidertogrid
Octode

I think I did post the picture twice in different threads. a few years apart? I first saw the picture on line and later on I received a book Photographs of New England and the surrounding areas as a Christmas gift. I am sure there was another slightly different photo of the same sets but I cannot find it now. The photographer may have taken a few at the time. The photo's were taken by Chris Porsz he took a of of pictures in Peterborough in the 70's and early 80's quite a few showing the diversity in and around Gladstone street where a lot of Ugandan Asian families made their homes.

The updated picture with the Mosque in the background suggests to me that it is the town end of Gladstone street or Clarence road. The British relay workshop was in an old Methodist Chapel on Cobden Street, now long gone . I don't get to that end of town much these days but next time I am that way I will have a ride around the area and see if I can find that Mosque and then finally I will know where the original picture was taken, hopefully between Mick and me we maybe able to work out which shop or workshop the original picture was of.
When I used to go telly hunting with my go-cart I didn't get as far as that there were three shops nearer so I usually 'scored' nearer to home.
Looking at the sets in the pile it may have been a bit before my time as most of the sets I got were early dual standards with the exception of the odd 'barrel' Murphy which were still around and favoured because they were usually still working.
I think the 'colour boon' was displacing a lot of older black and white sets, luckily for me!
Old 25th Nov 2021, 2:09 pm   #9
MickMcmichael
Pentode

Well the mosque was built on British Relay's old site in Cobden Street. Part of the car park now is where my bench was as an apprentice in 1975.

I think I may have posted this picture before. The building with the red sign above it is the British Relay site. The back yard was a delapidated mess of old sheds and outbuildings. The original photo is definitely not British Relay. Trouble is I have no idea where the original pic was taken. The building to the right hand side of British Relay was, coincidentally the Co-Op tv service depot!

If the original pic was taken in the Gladstone area (as I think it might have been) then the clue is the road in front of the building. This suggests to me that the original photo was taken at the front of a building and not at the back. That's about all I can offer.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BRW..jpg
Views:	147
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	246543  
Old 25th Nov 2021, 2:23 pm   #10
slidertogrid
Octode

Some more pictures from the same photographer around the same time and area. in the 1970's some of the houses were a little run down. A lot of redevelopment was going on in Peterborough at the time .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211125_110442.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	246544   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211125_110503.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	246545   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211125_110707.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	246546   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211125_110720.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	246547   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211125_110739.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	246548  

Old 25th Nov 2021, 2:37 pm   #11
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcmichael View Post
Well the mosque was built on British Relay's old site in Cobden Street.

If the original pic was taken in the Gladstone area (as I think it might have been) then the clue is the road in front of the building. This suggests to me that the original photo was taken at the front of a building and not at the back. That's about all I can offer.

Hope this helps.
I wonder if it was the Co-op workshop then Mick? There were two other shops in the area I can remember, Harry Bone and John Torr who was on the corner of Walpole street (Later Bourges Boulevard) it was neither of them. I am really tempted to have a ride over there, with the later picture it should be possible to identify the location. There is more than one Mosque in the area I think...
Oh for a Tardis!
Old 25th Nov 2021, 3:26 pm   #12
slidertogrid
Octode

Edit: I have just had a look on streetview that view of the Mosque is on Link Road which runs parallel to Cobden Street, it is a huge site. It looks as if Link road is a new name to the road that was obviously already there so now I need to find out what Link road was called previously !
Old 25th Nov 2021, 4:21 pm   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

"Fascinating", as Popeye might have said, Rich. Chris Portz could/can certainly take a good photo! Thanks for putting those up.

Dave W
Old 25th Nov 2021, 5:14 pm   #14
Radio Wrangler

Road naming..... Didn't British relay used to be referred to as "Link" in some parts of the country. Link road might not be a coincidence.

David
Old 25th Nov 2021, 6:03 pm   #15

The clothes in the 40 years ago shots are much more imaginative (I am not a style guru BTW), a fascinating look at history. Must have taken ages to do, just like a proper restoration. I would love photos of my radios in the their setting when bought new.

Old 25th Nov 2021, 9:41 pm   #16
MickMcmichael
Pentode

It can't be the co-op because their back entrance was in the yard. No road as such and the original picture has yellow no parking lines.

The plot deepens.
Closed Thread