UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2023, 10:34 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default TV Identification

Hi all

After going through some photos I found one with my grandparents TV from the late 70s/early 80s in the background.

I’m sure it’s a Ferguson, or from the Thorn range at least. The closest I could find was the Ferguson 3745 but the cabinet itself seems different. My grandparents set had the edges of the cabinet protrude forward slightly with the trim around the edges. The 3745 only seems to have the same stand and CRT bezel.

I think it uses the 4000 chassis too so I assume it’d be a rare set now.

Unfortunately this is the best photo I have of it.

Thanks
‘77
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	970B6218-8E4B-4E20-8E96-5230EE3132D0.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	274608  
Old 9th Mar 2023, 7:00 am   #2
its ur aerial
Hexode

Default Re: TV Identification

The Thorn 4000 Colour series was a rear beast, I believe they only came in a 26" 110 deg CRT version, and were originally intended for export to the RSA, but some how ended up out on rental, exclusively with DER.
Working from memory, the DER model number would have started 57??, they were designed with ultrasonic remote and a Thyristor Line O/P.
Again working from memory, Tripler failor was common and very vaguely I recall some sought of thick film unit causing frame faults.

Ken, G6HZG.
Old 9th Mar 2023, 11:26 am   #3
slidertogrid
Octode

The 4000 is certainly not seen often these days! Do an internet search for 'Thorn 4000 chassis' there is lots of information there including available screen sizes, makers names that were used and even a brochure... There is also a Thorn chassis guide which may help in identifying the set?
Old 9th Mar 2023, 1:25 pm   #5
FIXITNOW
Octode

3745 mentioned used the 9800 series Thorn chassis

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/vintage-...chassis-guide/
Old 9th Mar 2023, 2:20 pm   #6
jayceebee
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by its ur aerial View Post
Working from memory, the DER model number would have started 57??, they were designed with ultrasonic remote and a Thyristor Line O/P.
Again working from memory, Tripler failor was common and very vaguely I recall some sought of thick film unit causing frame faults.

Ken, G6HZG.
Thankfully no thyristors but separate line and EHT stages. The DER UK model was 5762 but we also rented out the 3C05 which was originally intended for RSA. It looked identical to the 5762, the give away that it was originally intended for export was the tuning pot bank had switches for band 1/3 in addition to UHF, coupled to an ELC2000 tuner instead of the usual ELC1043 for the UK.

The thick film units were novel but the achilles heel for the 4000, someone had to try them first. Even Hitachi had problems with their early ones which were used in the field output stage of some models

Going back to the OP question, if it was a 22" 4000 then the only models I know is the 3C03 from Ferguson which was white but there was also a 7C06 version I believe in teak which given the 7 in the model number may have been a Multibroadcast rental model. The giveaway is the distinctive sloping control panel along the top edge of the set.

All the info is over on Radios-TV, later the 4000 later became the 4100 and 4200 with a much improved RCU circuit based on the ITT chipset. This didn't suffer from random functions by jangling keys issues of earlier remote sets. Not seen one but there is mention of a 4000 with an on screen clock.

John.
Old 9th Mar 2023, 3:29 pm   #7
its ur aerial
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWayneD View Post
The 4000 certainly wasn't rare, there were loads of them and not exclusively rented out from DER.
I stand corrected then if there were loads of them but thirty years in the Telly trade I only ever saw them at DER and possible Multi. They were certainly not as common as a G11 or 8500.
Ken, G6HZG.

Last edited by its ur aerial; 9th Mar 2023 at 3:35 pm.
Old 10th Mar 2023, 6:17 am   #8
Focus Diode
Octode

I'm sure I've seen Thorn 4000s with Multi Broadcast branding.
Old 10th Mar 2023, 11:44 am   #9
steve c
Triode

Multibroadcast did indeed have the Thorn 4000 series. 26" - 7762 22" - 7758
There was also a 110 degree deflection 20" version, cant remember the model number.
Pretty good set, good picture, particularly the 20". My only memories regarding reliability are around chroma issues with the very small sub panel on the signal board. I liked the convergence board that came out on an extension cable so you could sit in front of the set and adjust.

Happy days
Old 10th Mar 2023, 1:32 pm   #10
1955APREN
Hexode

I never came across one at all . That would indicate that curry's did not sell them
at less not in the midlands, but I might be wrong.
Derrick
Old 11th Mar 2023, 8:47 am   #11
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

I’m not 100% sure if it was a 4000 or not, it was just a rough guess from the brochures I’d seen.

As jayceebee suggests, I think it may be a 22” set but I really don’t know. The only other photo of it is too dark to make out any details and it’s of the same part again, the bottom left corner. I’ll have to have a look to see if there’s anything to indicate size as I’m sure that’ll help too. Thinking about it I’m sure there’s a VCR underneath that should help gauge size.

I’m not sure where they got the set from, Radio Rentals would be a good guess as my nan often spoke about RR, but DER is very possible too as there was a branch in town too.

Will have more of a snout round online too and see what I can find. Would be great to find out all the sets that have been in the family. I think “we” had a GEC 2028 when new!

Thanks again
‘77
Old 13th Mar 2023, 8:15 am   #12
its ur aerial
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve c View Post
Multibroadcast did indeed have the Thorn 4000 series. 26" - 7762 22" - 7758
I liked the convergence board that came out on an extension cable so you could sit in front of the set and adjust.

Happy days
That`s right I remember that now, and was it also the 4000, that suffered with the Bridge rec in the stand by power supply
going intermittent O/C ?
As Steve commented, they produced a decent picture.

Ken, G6HZG.
Old 13th Mar 2023, 11:24 am   #13
MALC SCOTT
Octode

There were quite a lot of 4000 series set around where i live. Thorn had a large factory at Spennymoor and these sets were for sale in the staff shop with good staff discounts. I remember tripler problems and thick film modules failing. The 26 inch version used a A67-150X crt from RCA. Not very long lived.
Old 13th Mar 2023, 2:40 pm   #14
its ur aerial
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALC SCOTT View Post
The 26 inch version used a A67-150X crt from RCA. Not very long lived.
I once did a CRT swap from a 4000 to a 26 inch Finlux Peacock
Luvverly jubberly
Ken G6HZG.