UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2023, 10:39 pm   #1
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Bush TR82 /97

Could any one tell me where I might get a service sheet for this model. It has LW MW AND FM if anyone can help in anyway I would be very grateful.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 12:21 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush TR82 /97

TR82/97. Picture of the complicated tuning capacitor drive cord arrangement.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220607_175847.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	275238  
Old 18th Mar 2023, 12:42 pm   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

I think your question has been asked before on this forum and the general view is that service information just isn't available.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 1:50 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Sad indication of the times. That is to say that by not creating service data, development costs are saved, and furthermore it makes the item more 'throw away' when faulty, and the need to replace it greater/sooner; buy, buy, buy (from China).
Old 18th Mar 2023, 1:50 pm   #5
Cathovisor
Banned

Unless it's of sentimental value, the best place for it is the WEEE skip at your local recycling centre.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 3:37 pm   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathovisor View Post
Unless it's of sentimental value, the best place for it is the WEEE skip at your local recycling centre.
And find a VTR103 to replace it.

DFWB.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 3:58 pm   #7
paulsherwin

These are actually fairly decent kitchen radios for people who like the retro styling and aren't interested in the technology.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 4:20 pm   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

I agree Paul. Saying that, in recent times there's been a few in-depth reviews that are not favourable. I think they're missing the point and laws of modern manufacturing. To me, it's a very good physical reproduction of a classic set, and it works well enough. When you look at the myriad of so called retro sets that just don't look 'right', the Bush stands out to me. What do some people want? germanium transistors and faithful to original mechanics etc? Well, I'm sure it could be done but then they'd moan about the price!
Old 18th Mar 2023, 5:33 pm   #9
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I wonder how different a current version would be. It always gives me pause when we're here discussing as a sign of the times a radio that's 25 years old - as old as my first A22 was when I bought it in 1969. Of course the A22 was and is somewhat older than me, and the TR82/97 will always be younger...

Paul
Old 18th Mar 2023, 6:08 pm   #10
Cobaltblue

Everyone to their own I suppose I don't mind modern sets such as my Sony DAB and a couple of Pures kicking around but they look modern.
What I have no time for is retro looking sets, I still have a couple of such sets in their boxes from 15 to 20 years or so ago before the kids realised retro looking didn't hit the spot and stopped wasting their money on them.

A sets either vintage with its flaws and repairs or its an SEP (somebody elses problem).

Cheers

Mike T
Old 18th Mar 2023, 7:05 pm   #11
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
I wonder how different a current version would be. It always gives me pause when we're here discussing as a sign of the times a radio that's 25 years old - as old as my first A22 was when I bought it in 1969.
Paul

Is the TR82/97 all analogue - no digital processing at all?

Mike
Old 18th Mar 2023, 7:52 pm   #12
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
What I have no time for is retro looking sets, I still have a couple of such sets in their boxes from 15 to 20 years or so ago before the kids realised retro looking didn't hit the spot and stopped wasting their money on them.

A sets either vintage with its flaws and repairs or its an SEP (somebody elses problem).

Cheers

Mike T
I don't have any time (at all!) for 99% of retro looking sets, they tend to look gloopy and very wrong, horrible in fact. But in my opinion the Bush TR82/97 does an excellent job of looking like the original.

On the subject of repairability, my liking of the set is purely for it's looks and how it works and sounds (I have one), nothing to do with how repairable it is. But that's the way with all modern electronic equipment these days; commercially irreparable. I think it's unfair to knock the Bush TR82/97 on account of it having been built using modern construction methods and components. The alternative (that would never have happened) would be a clone or near clone of the original and costing hundreds of pounds. You can't have it all ways, and I think 'Bush' got the balance just right with this radio.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 7:56 pm   #13
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
The alternative (that would never have happened) would be a clone or near clone of the original and costing hundreds of pounds. You can't have it all ways, and I think 'Bush' got the balance just right with this radio.
The TR130 repro is far better than the TR82/97, even allowing for the silver dust cap being visible through the grille.

I noticed a fake TR82 made an appearance in the background on Endeavour last week.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 8:04 pm   #14
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathovisor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
The alternative (that would never have happened) would be a clone or near clone of the original and costing hundreds of pounds. You can't have it all ways, and I think 'Bush' got the balance just right with this radio.
The TR130 repro is far better than the TR82/97, even allowing for the silver dust cap being visible through the grille.

I noticed a fake TR82 made an appearance in the background on Endeavour last week.
Looks like the far better TR130 is a "repro" and the TR82 is a "fake" then!
Old 18th Mar 2023, 10:46 pm   #15
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Does anyone know which receiver chip these TR82/91 uses?

If we knew that, then we could point future enquiries to the chip manufactures application notes, which should be close to the schematic of the actual set.
Old 19th Mar 2023, 11:42 am   #16
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post

If we knew that, then we could point future enquiries to the chip manufactures application notes, which should be close to the schematic of the actual set.
You're assuming that notes exist for the chip in the first place - or if they do, in English. I recently tried to find out about a device in one of those FM/Bluetooth/USB modules that are prevalent if only to see how their claim of 80W or whatever output stacks up - it turns out they're Class H devices but the only datasheets are in Chinese and in some cases, you have to pay for them.
Old 19th Mar 2023, 12:18 pm   #17
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post

Given the mid 90s origins, it probably originally used something like a CXA1019, though that could well have been revised during the long production run. Lots of radios of that era used that chip, which dates back to the 80s.

https://electronicboy4you.wordpress....rcuit-diagram/
Closed Thread