UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2023, 10:52 pm   #41
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Component recycling mystery.

I think with more surface-mounted components, recycling at component level will become less and less. It just isn't practicable to remove a load of 0603 and 0402 resistors and capacitors, test them, and reuse them. The whole board will be shredded, metals will be recovered, and the rest scrapped.

Separating the metals - tin (solder), copper (board tracking), aluminium (lead wires in semiconductors), molybdenum (power devices), silver (solder), tantalum (capacitors), palladium (surface-mount terminations) is an industry in itself!,
Old 9th Mar 2023, 11:02 pm   #42
factory
Octode

Here is the thread I read on the eevblog forum recently;
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/manufa...er-components/

There is "retronix" in Scotland mentioned in reply #12.
https://retronix.com/component-reclaim/
Seems to be aimed at recovering the high value parts though.

David
Old 10th Mar 2023, 9:38 am   #43
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
... double brown T&E cable ... no brown sleeving was necessary for the ordinary single point light switch circuits.
Personally, I prefer brown/blue-sleeved-with-brown to differentiate between direct and switched live.
Old 10th Mar 2023, 9:49 am   #44
Cobaltblue

Please stay on topic

There has been a few posts about house wiring.

Please read this post:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=198565

Cheers

Mike T
Old 10th Mar 2023, 11:04 am   #45
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Apologies. Consider my wrist slapped!
Old 10th Mar 2023, 11:24 am   #46
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

Regards using NOS or salvaged parts... recently, I’ve successfully made five guitar amplifiers using a combination of new, NOS and salvaged parts.

I’m careful with the NOS and salvaged parts I use and thoroughly check them. As regards NOS resistors I use carbon film parts by Welwyn, Phier and Iskra. The Erie ‘100’ high stabs test OK.

Obviously, the electrolytic capacitors are new, but I’ve used ‘salvaged’ Mullard C296 and Silver Mica capacitors after they have been thoroughly checked for leakage and capacitance at the rated voltage. The pots and sockets and the B9A valve bases are new.

As regards SM assemblies - and as already stated - the ‘mass’ re-use of SM parts is more or less impossible, so it’s case of salvaging the materials. However, saying that, I do have box of ‘scrap’ SM PCB’s where I carefully remove SM resistors and capacitors, being careful not to damage the terminations on the package, if I don’t have the correct value in the component draws, when I quickly need an SM part for an SM based project/unit I’m working on.

Terry
Old 10th Mar 2023, 11:54 am   #47
Malcolm T
Hexode

I can see everyone has different views and thats fine.#
So i,m here at the bench building an RF sampler for use with my old Gould freebe scope that i was given years ago and wiring up the ground wiring to the BNC sockets with freebe copper wire i got when the crew came around the power poles changing the twin solid core for new wire. Both could have easily been dumped but i salvaged them, and talking of salvage stuff several years ago 72 cans of lager fell out of a skip at the back of a supermarket where the local town buzzards also pick off i think the other fella got about a 100 cans, I really enjoyed those 72 cans of free lager !!!
Old 11th Mar 2023, 11:35 am   #48
G6fylneil
Pentode

I got a used CD mechanism for my 33 year old car from a Chinese company, Opuradio, I've wondered how they got hold of it.

Last edited by G6fylneil; 11th Mar 2023 at 11:43 am.
Old 12th Mar 2023, 5:14 pm   #49
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGM View Post
I'd be grateful for a suggestion of where/how to recycle an unused reel of twin-plus-earth cable. It has the old red/black colour code so presumably can't be used for its original purpose. I suspect the men at the local council tip would point me to the landfill section, which would be a waste of a fair bit of copper.
Hope not off topic mods?
It would make a very usable wire antenna for HF, I know the advice is to use hard drawn copper that doesn't stretch etc etc but practically and in my LIMITED experience such wire is perfectly usable for DIY antennas. In fact amongst a lot of highly experienced amateurs in my locality they'd rather use this kind of wire than the oft recommended "Flexweave" stuff. After seeing how easily flexweave corrodes even under its transparent insulation I kinda see their point.
And another good use would be for burying radials, just seal the cut ends with a suitable substance like liquid tape etcetc.
The bare copper earth wire I have found useful for stuff like Buss bars when pulled straight, and the insulated wires I often use for HT wiring due to the way it can be bent into neat runs and holds its shape. I'm not building stuff to sell to non technical users (not to sell at all) so I'm happy that my builds are safe.
Twisted tightly together T&E insulated wire makes good heater wire for current hungry Valves like KT88, EL34 etc etc. Stays in shape and looks so much neater than stranded wire.
Andy 2E0AND
Closed Thread