UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2023, 4:45 am   #41
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Numbering Schemes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Re. Post 11.

Reminds me of a story I heard about an engineer in the GPO days who got a digit wrong on a stores requisition for a small diode. He had a communication the item would take some time, but thought nothing of it until a low loader arrived a few weeks later, with a massive substation type transformer on the back. The delay apparently was because said item had to be ordered from the manufacturer!

The huge transformer which sat in a depot for many years.
There was an anecdote, I think in Television magazine years ago, of somebody who needed one of the spool drive pulleys for a (Philips?) cassette recorder and ordered it by part number. After getting something totally incorrect he provided a sketch of the part with the caption 'one of these'. Some days later he got a large parcel. Insde was ... The agitator for a top-loading washing machine (which does look somewhat similar if no scale is given).
Closed Thread