UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2020, 5:01 pm   #1
RetroGuy527
Triode

Default HAM Gear - gauging interest

Admin: Apologies if this thread is not acceptable or in wrong place - obviously delete or move if not!

Asking for a friend as they have no knowledge technically of the kit in the attached photograph.

Could anybody please advise as to whether this kit is worth saving and selling on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	199754  
Old 26th Feb 2020, 5:27 pm   #2
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Re: HAM Gear - guaging interest

Hi RetroGuy527

The equipment is worth something to someone and I for one would like the sig gen, and receiver which is near the window side. Please PM me and we can discuss it there.

Best wishes

Ken
Old 26th Feb 2020, 5:46 pm   #3
raditechman
Heptode

Yes the items are useful for an amateur radio person.
There is I believe a Chelmsford amateur radio club so it may be worth contacting them if you want to clear the items in one lot.
http://www.g0mwt.org.uk/

John
Old 26th Feb 2020, 6:04 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

The large black receiver with the half-moon dial is a Marconi R1155. You need to look these up and check completed auction prices, you may be surprised.

A lot of them were modified by radio amateurs to make them more useful, and nowadays people collecting military stuff will pay more for those with less modification.

They aren't an easy set to use for the modes now transmitted on the bands covered, so unless someone wants a historic station, it's best moved on. But watch out for prices, don't let it go too cheaply. Be realistic.

You can get model numbers off the other radios and look them up to get an idea of values. They're more useful in a modern amateur radio station. Look carefully at accessories like that desk microphone. They're quite expensive new and seem to hold their prices better than the radios they go with!

Going into detail, many amateur radio transceivers have socketed places inside for optional filters to be installed. These also are expensive and will be reflected somewhat in sale prices. Someone who knows the model needs to take a look inside to see what options are fitted.

David
Old 26th Feb 2020, 6:38 pm   #5
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Looks like a scope bottom left? Maybe more items that are not in the picture? A few more pictures would help, together with a list of makes and model. I have seen job lots like this fetch maybe several hundred pounds on ebay. If in no hurry, that could be the most rewarding.
Whether that is the way forward or you take the time to catalogue what there is and ask for more guidance here is up to you and your friend. As it is, if you choose to use ebay or sell here, that is a choice only you and your friend can make.

Is this a disposal of an estate I wonder? In which case, the person would I imagine want to get the best price. Sometimes, they just want rid fast though and will let go at silly low prices or just give it away! Especially if they don't understand what exactly it is.
At times, stories are heard of skips being brought in!

Be aware, if offering on this forum, the asking price IS required, unless all money is going to a charity, in which case offers can be asked for. The rules on selling are at the top of the section. as a "sticky". This is for the benefit of ALL members. To just ask for advice and then to take all or any offers may be against these rules.
Hope this helps in what can often be a difficult situation.
Rob
Old 26th Feb 2020, 6:46 pm   #6
RetroGuy527
Triode

Thanks for your replies so far. Looks like it worth spending some time on and saving this old kit. I'll try and find out more...
Old 26th Feb 2020, 7:30 pm   #7
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

The morse key on the desk is known as a "bathtub" key.
Also, judging by front panel layout, it seems like a far more modern scope on left side of picture? Judging by the thin (BNC?) lead protruding, maybe a probe?
Rob
Old 26th Feb 2020, 7:46 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It's always difficult to value these sorts of things: the photo shows plenty of dust on the microphone and the desk so I'd suspect the various radios have not been used seriously for a few years.

If you have the time, take lots of photos of individual items - including serial-number plates, then advertise them on Ebay as 'condition unknown, no guarantee'.

But you then have to deal with the hassle of packing/carriage, and the inevitable "this is not what it was advertised as" claims.

If you don't have the time or interest (like you're doing a house-clearance) - there are businesses lsuch as www.amateurradiosales.co.uk who will offer you a price for the entire collection.
Old 26th Feb 2020, 7:48 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I have a couple of Bathtub keys inc one in original wrapping but never paid anywhere near that price.
Think 30---50 pound ,depending on condition.They are very nice to go with the T1154 which of course what they are meant to be with.

PS I found Lindars radio excellent on a purchase I made last year.Mentioned in that link.

The R1155 Modified I note,but can still fetch £150.The rig I cannot see make or model.

Disclaimer

This is Not a discussion on prices,just an observation for the record.At the end of the day things go for whatever someone is willing to pay ,regardless where the item comes from.

Last edited by HamishBoxer; 26th Feb 2020 at 8:00 pm.
Old 26th Feb 2020, 8:02 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Really, you nerd to make an inventory and check current prices for secondanh equipment on offer, and completed e-bay transcactions to get a feel of what are realistic values of equipment which will be offered untested. Just as an example, there is a secondhand tested and working Watson W-25AM variable voltage 25 Amp power supply presently on offer at Radioworld for £75.00. That suggests that £50 as a private sale with no warranty would be attainable:

https://www.radioworld.co.uk/second-...m-power-supply

As has been said, the large black R1155 vintage ex military receiver (which looks utterly out of place), would attract some interest, though as is invariably the case, it's clearly been modified for amateur so isn't original, would be worth maybe £75.00 or more to an enthusiast. Can't see what model the modern amateur band transceiver is, but it may be worth perhaps £150.00. There are lots of smaller items and an MJF antenna tuner unit, and maybe lots more not in the picture.

The prices attained and saleability will be seriously reduced if the owner was a smoker, due to nicotine and tar contamination.

There are a number of firms who will buy and value second-hand amateur radio equipment, of which Radioworld is one:

https://www.radioworld.co.uk/second-hand

As has been said, if you wished to dispose of equipment on here, you would need to state exact prices unless it's being disposed of for a charity. You can always lower prices later if stuff doesn't sell.
Old 26th Feb 2020, 8:16 pm   #11
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

There could also be a lot of spares and other items that could be quite salable if identified; books and magazines may also in some cases be salable.

Ed
Old 26th Feb 2020, 8:32 pm   #12
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Radioworld (mentioned above) have a second-hand Watson W-25AM power supply on sale at the moment. It's worth checking out...

Unfortunately, I don't recognise the transceiver above the R1155 but entry into a search engine will bring up results. There is a site with very many examples of ham gear over decades. Make and model number will bring something up.

MFJ equipment is very common so there will be info on the 'net.
Old 26th Feb 2020, 8:35 pm   #13
defender
Pentode

ft 840?
Old 26th Feb 2020, 10:55 pm   #14
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: HAM Gear - gauging interest

Bear in mind prices will vary hugely depending on where you are selling. Eg, at a radio rally I have bought an R1155 for £50, working and modified, and seen them at the same event, complete and unmodified, £300. The one in the photo is modified. Ebay tends to yield higher prices, but there's the work involved to consider to describe, list, pack, post and be responsible if the buyer decides to return.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 4:29 pm   #15
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

The Yaesu rig is an FT840, the 1155 could be quite valuable, you really need a trustworthy person from the local club (Chelmsford? ) to give you some advice and maybe power the more modern equipment up. There are some dodgy folk around.
I’d give them all a good clean first and get rid of the ash tray!
Old 27th Feb 2020, 8:01 pm   #16
Silicon
Nonode

That may not be an ashtray!

It could be a jam jar lid with 'hard to find' screws and fixings for some of the radio equipment.

There may be cables and leads that are worth selling.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 11:55 pm   #17
stuarth
Heptode

If fig-8 mains leads have value, my financial future is secure!

Stuart
Old 28th Feb 2020, 4:31 am   #18
Radio Wrangler

Fig-8s will come into their own, but have you seen the current prices for plessey and bulgin mains connectors?

Ed's advice to the OP is important. There can be a lot of value in cables, spares and tiddly little accessories. What if there's a J-switch to go with that R1155 in a drawer or shed somewhere?

Post-war, sets like the R1155 got sold off, but traders thought amateurs would have no interest in cables, intercoms, connectors and stuff that would only be of interest to people trying to rebuild an entire Lancaster installation. At the time the dealers were right, and threw the accessories and cables away. Nowadays, collectors are trying to recreate the full Lancaster etc setups and the accessories and cables have become rare and surprisingly valuable.

I just wonder who they intend bombing if they're ever lucky enough to complete an entire Lancaster? Perhaps the interests of collectors will move on to take interest in the post war era, and amateur modifications to R1155s will become in demand?

David

David
Old 28th Feb 2020, 6:11 pm   #19
turretslug
Dekatron

Whoever did the "domesticisation" of the R1155 at least seems to have done a reasonably couth job of the metalwork- heavens, it may even have a 3-core mains lead there. Of course, it may still be a lethal dog's-dinner inside but at least the outside treatment is a hopeful sign. It was probably acquired in the days when they were so plentiful that dealers used them as a hop-up for the high shelf, and it's understandable that the standard treatment was to fit them up with internal mains PSU and AF output having made space by removing the DF circuitry and somewhat lumpen front connector array. Restoring these sets to something like original involves scratching around for increasingly scarce parts but IMHO, it's not a bad example as it stands.
Old 29th Feb 2020, 8:10 pm   #20
crackle
Rest in Peace

I see an ITT Pinto domestic transistor receiver there in the top left.

Mike
Closed Thread