UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Sep 2020, 2:52 pm   #1
al_kaholik
Triode

Default BSR P182R/MP60 etc. tonearm overhang at rear

Hi all,

I'm looking to change the turntable in my Decca SRG899 as I don't believe it to be original to the unit and also I would like a single player with automatic set down as there is limited space within the cabinet to accurately gauge this. The concern I have is the physical space behind the chassis plate.

I'm wondering if anyone has one and could measure the tonearm overhang at the rear before I commit to buying?

Al
Old 25th Sep 2020, 3:05 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR P182R/MP60 etc. tonearm overhang at rear

Look at post 10 in this thread, for the actual Decca brochure specifications for the SRG899:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=163469
Old 25th Sep 2020, 3:29 pm   #3
al_kaholik
Triode

Thanks dazzlevision - perhaps I've not made myself clear. Tthough thanks for that original post - its about the only information on the SRG898/899 I've been able to find which led me to the forum initially.

Within the unit there is space for the BSR turntable, presuming that they are all similar or the same cutout and base*. It would appear that the P182R has a tone arm that extends beyond the base of the turntable (*top plate?) - not sure on the terminology here, but the black metal plate which mounts to the plinth or cabinet in my case.

I make the clearance at the rear to be 15mm, or just over 1/2". Should the rear of the tonearm overhang by more than that, its a non starter.

Thanks in advance
Old 25th Sep 2020, 5:44 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The BSR P128, or the even better BSR MP60, are superior to the BSR C series Autochanger that Decca originally fitted. However, there is a sliding counterwight on the end of the tone arm and the travel on this cannot be compromised so as to allow you to get the best tracking weight. You should consider the swing of the arm as well as it's apparent length. If there is room and you fit the P128/MP60, you can probably sell the old Autochanger. Don't assume that the cut out for the original (or you say it might be a replacement) deck will suit that needed for your new one.
Old 26th Sep 2020, 7:06 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

I had this exact problem in my early teens when replacing a garrard autochanger with burnt out motor for one of these BSRs! The overhang is considerable. Maybe something like an Sp25 would be a safer bet.
Old 26th Sep 2020, 11:28 pm   #6
kirstyd
Heptode

I doubt changing the deck will give any significant improvement given the limited electronics .If you want single play just remove the overarm
Old 27th Sep 2020, 1:09 am   #7
jamesperrett
Octode

I have a vague memory in the dim and distant past of replacing a BSR autochanger with an MP60 and it being a direct drop in replacement but I don't really remember the details. I also remember that an SP25 wasn't a direct drop in replacement but needed a little woodwork to make it fit.

I've still got an MP60 somewhere so I'll see if I can dig it out and check the overhang but I probably won't be able to do it for a couple of days.
Old 27th Sep 2020, 9:15 am   #8
al_kaholik
Triode

Many thanks all - apologies I don't seem to have received the update email on this.

James that would be great - thank you.

Kirsty - I am somewhat in agreement. Since posting initially, I've freed up the turntable and it works as reasonably as expected. It does however not seem as smooth as the c140 that I have in another unit. Looking for a quick win, something with a heavier turntable as this does have a bit of a warp by the looks of it. I may still persevere if my suspicion on the overhang is too large.

Ben - thank you, I've not looked too hard into Garrard at the moment as some very quick research has said that the cutout is likely different. The shelf that the turntable sits on is glued into the cabinet. Adding a new plinth isn't out of the question, I'm just exploring easier options first.

Edward - thanks for the input. I hadn't considered the swing. There is a bit of space at the side of the unit which I will also measure up

Last edited by al_kaholik; 27th Sep 2020 at 9:25 am.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 4:14 pm   #9
jamesperrett
Octode

The answer is that the square section part of the arm overhangs the chassis by 25mm.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 4:49 pm   #10
al_kaholik
Triode

Many thanks James, some measuring to do a bit later this evening, however I think its out of the question unless I can shuffle things around a bit.
Closed Thread