UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2023, 11:24 am   #1
KSlatt41
Diode

Default Winthrop President

Hello.

This is my first time posting and hope it is okay to ask about a music centre that may not have been built in the UK - a Winthrop President music centre. I have attached a photo, this is not my music centre but is the same model. The music centre works great apart from the turntable - it feels as thought it is completely seized - no give or wobble in it at all. Would anyone have any ideas how to fix it? Apologies if I am in the wrong place. We acquired the music centre yesterday and my 17 year old loves it and would really like to be able to play his LPs on it. Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Many thanks, K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winthrop President music centre.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	272604  
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 2:12 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Winthrop President

It's an early 1970's BSR C Series deck. If you mean it will not turn. Service Sheets are available from this site once we have pinned down the model number. If you mean you can't lift the platter (turntable) off, then advise us. What skills so you have with these? It should be an easy fix if you are familiar with these.
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 10:22 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

This turntables are usually gummed up by old solidified grease, so I suggest this. Take the aluminium disc out of the centre (it is held in either by three small lugs that slip under the surrounding rubber, or it may be simply glued on, so take care, or you will damage the very thin disc). Then slide off the "C" clip that holds the turntable on. Pull out the centre spindle, but if it is stuck, leave it, it will come free after the next step. Now you need to apply heat to the centre of the turntable. If you have a hair drier, that is ideal. Hold the drier next to the centre of the turntable for a minute or so, then try to turn the turntable, but if it is reluctant to turn don't force it, or you will cause considerable damage to the mechanism, but apply more heat and after a few attempts, you should be able to pull the spindle out, and lift the turntable off. If this is successful, clean the hole in the turntable and the centre shaft it sat on with alcohol or WD40, apply fresh sewing machine or hair clipper oil to both (NOT WD40!), replace the turntable, "C" clip and aluminium disc, and hopefully this will have cured the problem, but if not get back to us.

Barry

Last edited by Audio1950; 3rd Feb 2023 at 10:29 pm.
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 11:01 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

I usually find that the whole deck is gummed up, including the arm bearings, cam (the large gear), the speed change, the on/off/auto mechanism and possibly the motor.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 4th Feb 2023, 2:44 am   #5
hamid_1
Heptode

Tesco stores sold this Winthrop music centre in the 1970s. I haven't seen one for many years. Unusually it has both cassette and 8-track tape systems. The turntable was made in England by Birmingham Sound Reproducers (BSR). The same turntable unit was fitted to many different stereo systems, not just Winthrop, so if you need spare parts or even a complete replacement unit, it shouldn't be too hard to find another one.

It will need dismantling, cleaning and relubricating, as described above by Audio1950. A tip : I've found liquid cigarette lighter fuel (not gas) helps to dissolve the sticky grease. You can then wipe it off with paper kitchen towel before re-oiling. Be aware things can get messy. Lighter fluid is highly flammable - ventilate the area.
Old 4th Feb 2023, 3:20 am   #6
Techman
Dekatron

That unit looks very familiar - and the name too. I think I remember having one in for repair decades ago.

Everything suggested regarding how to go about the service/repair of the record deck is correct. I would just reinforce the bit about NOT forcing the turntable round until it's completely free to turn and be lifted off by the application of heat to the centre bearing as described. I think this is the deck that has a particularly weak arrangement whereby the turntable main bearing unit is a press fit into the deck plate and forcing the turntable to turn when it's tight causes the whole bearing to rotate and come adrift from the deck plate. If this happens then it's game over for the entire record deck. There's various methods of trying to bodge it back in again, but it's best not to bust it in the first place.
Old 4th Feb 2023, 10:52 am   #7
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
(NOT WD40!)
That should have read NOT 3-in-1.

Barry
Old 4th Feb 2023, 11:25 am   #8
hayerjoe
Hexode

Chaps, what is the dial thing bottom left on the BSR deck? looks like it's one of the dustbug pivots, but a funny place for it to be

"Hayer Joe, where ya going with that deck in your hand?" - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Old 4th Feb 2023, 12:12 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

It certainly looks like a "Dustbug" pivot. The more obvious location at the rear looks like there is a transit screw head(?) in the way.

If nothing it suggests a careful previous owner, as might the single play only spindle fitted.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 5th Feb 2023, 11:29 pm   #10
ben
Dekatron

Deck is a BSR C141R. This looks a nice unit.
Closed Thread