UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2023, 2:21 pm   #1
Ottawaboy
Diode

Default Wireless Set 19 Mark II power PL connector

I have a Mark II but the orientation of the PL connector is off one quarter, at least using the connector that came with the radio. It has been re-wired, is it possible to disassemble and get the cable aligned horizontal as opposed to vertical? Or possibly not the original connector and cable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PL2 connector.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	272532   Click image for larger version

Name:	PL conn.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	272533  
Old 1st Feb 2023, 3:14 pm   #2
mickm3for
Heptode

Default Re: Wireless 19 Mark II power PL connector

Hi the screw in the center loosen this then the cable entry will rotate Mick
Old 2nd Feb 2023, 11:04 am   #3
Ottawaboy
Diode

I guess it will come to that, rotating the socket on the radio itself. What is frustrating the cable wiring was replaced in the connector itself at one point but I can't figure how to dissemble the connector. Perhaps put back together wrong?
Old 2nd Feb 2023, 3:17 pm   #4
Keith
Heptode

No, you don't need to rotate the connector on the set. That would be extemely difficult, anyway. As Mick says, you just loosen or remove the screw in the middle of the flying socket insert (i.e the plastic part), then you can change the orientation of the metal shroud to suit your needs.
Old 2nd Feb 2023, 5:45 pm   #5
trh01uk
Octode

Others have given you the solution - just loosen and rotate the backshell of the free plug.

You may well have other complications though. That free plug and lead does not look anything like the standard "dogbone" lead that normally connects the set to the PSU. So what's on the other end of it? Do you have the standard PSU for the WS19?

Richard
Old 7th Feb 2023, 2:02 pm   #6
NottsIan
Tetrode

Don't forget the MkII had a smaller connector than the more common MkIII. The one in the picture looks like my memory of mine (so no guarantee then!!). Apart from the angle that is.
Old 10th Feb 2023, 4:08 pm   #7
G4XWDJim
Octode

Default Re: Wireless Set 19 Mark II power PL connector

Here's a pic of what your aiming to see. Be careful when you rotate the plug that the wires aren't crumbling and you don't put excessive strain on them.

Jim

I know my pic is of a 6 pin but the construction is the same in a 12 pin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19 6 pin - 1 (2).jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	273030  

Last edited by G4XWDJim; 10th Feb 2023 at 4:24 pm.
Old 15th May 2023, 9:00 pm   #8
ScottBouch
Octode

Can anyone provide an identification nomenclature for this type of connector? Electrojumble used to list them simply as AM (Air Ministry) connectors, but they must have a name / brand / manufacturer / ID of sorts?

They pre-date Plessey Breeze ("standard") connectors of the 1950's, more WW2 era.
Old 16th May 2023, 7:01 pm   #9
trh01uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBouch View Post
Can anyone provide an identification nomenclature for this type of connector? Electrojumble used to list them simply as AM (Air Ministry) connectors, but they must have a name / brand / manufacturer / ID of sorts?

They pre-date Plessey Breeze ("standard") connectors of the 1950's, more WW2 era.
I have never heard of a name for these connectors. As far as I know they are proprietary Pye types, used solely on the WS19 and its associated harness (control units etc).

Breeze connectors are not 1950s. They pre-date the WS19 by quite a few years. So they would be 1930s vintage. We might well wonder why Pye didn't use Breeze plugs on the WS19 - but it probably comes down to making a profit from its own multi-way connectors.

Richard
Closed Thread