UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2013, 8:08 am   #101
audion_1908
Hexode

Default Re: My Bush TV43 restoration.

This is a pic of the 1950s table I got for my TV!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16ZHJHEE9ny2sYlJBQ7!O8Z1BQ~~60_58.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	76038  
Old 11th Feb 2013, 8:37 am   #102
audion_1908
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
The problem with fitting new replacement caps all over the set is the very real chance of either fitting a wrong component, or fitting it in the wrong place - it's not so bad in a radio - you can hear the results, but on a TV that shows no sign of working you could screw everything up completely in the rf and timebase section, and be none the wiser - a repair that might only have taken a couple of hours then becomes weeks of hard work.

When the set gets to that sort of state it becomes very difficult for anyone to hazard a guess as to where the faults are - a lot of the advice given here is by time served engineers, that worked on these sets on a daily basis, and will have built up extensive knowledge of "Stock Faults"

I recently repaired a Bush Tv24 - I only needed my Avo meter, a couple of screwdrivers and other hand tools, some odd wire with croc clips and a diagram to work from - first light took about 6 capacitors and resetting the ion trap.

I hope you manage to get this set back together and working.

Sean
I know the risk of changing all the caps at one time, but I think it is worth it, and I will check my work with the Bush tv data sheets before I plug it in.
Old 11th Feb 2013, 9:04 am   #103
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Phew! A lot there to think about.
The EHT lead should be OK joined the way you have done it. It's not good practise but perfectly OK for our purposes. The co-ax cable required is the type with the solid Polythene inner. It will be obvious by it's appearance.
Leave the ceramic caps well alone. There is nothing wrong with them. The untidy appearance of the lead out wires is normal. They have been dipped in a coating to keep the damp out. Never known a faulty one.
The silver foil is screening to prevent interference from the line timebase entering neighbouring radio receivers. It's no longer a problem and has been rendered obsolete.
They packed crisps in greaseproof paper bags back in 1954...
Wire glue appears to be the work of the devil..
You may be able to replace individual pins in the B9A valveholder if you can find an exact style. It's better replaced but leave it till you have a good 'first light'.
I'll post you some cavity connector pictures later today. I have a couple of tubes on the bench so no problem.
My Gran would have said 'It will all end in tears' so I want you to prove her wrong!
Regards, John.
PS I have discovered a similar valve holder in my stocks. It does not have the chassis mounting ring but looks similar 'guts' so you should be able to extract the pins. I also have some EHT lead that should do the trick. You can have them FOC if you need them. I would suggest you get it up and 'working' as it is. Valveholder replacement can lead to mistakes.J.

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 11th Feb 2013 at 9:18 am.
Old 11th Feb 2013, 10:02 am   #104
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello again Stephen,
I have attached pictures of the ceramic valveholder for comparison. Also attached are pictures of the CT8 cavity connector and another shows suitable EHT lead. Early tubes had the standard valve type top cap connector but all later tubes used the CT8. One picture shows the adaptor that converted the early cap to the later CT8 type when fitting more up to date tube replacements. Later receivers, due to an increase in EHT voltage are fitted with the familiar insulating plastic cap. J.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B9A holder.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	76046   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9A holder (1).jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	76047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cavity.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	76048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cavity (2).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	76049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cavity (3).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	76050  

Old 11th Feb 2013, 10:05 am   #105
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Showing method of removal from CRT. I would suggest you leave well alone for present. Great care must be taken around this area of the tube as it can be easily damaged. Old glass needs to be treated with espect. J.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cavity (1).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	76051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Removal..jpg
Views:	174
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	76052  
Old 11th Feb 2013, 11:57 am   #106
Freya
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by audion_1908 View Post
I have replaced the perished rubber wire to the deflection coils, the old wire was so bad even the cotton cover was crumbly and could not be saved the new wire is thinner but I dubbed it up so it should be ok, what is the peak current threw the deflection coils?
This may lead to some interesting effects being doubled up, never tried it though.

Stephen
Old 12th Feb 2013, 12:29 pm   #107
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Not a huge amount Stephen with these old receivers. The frame time base will produce about the same current into the deflection coils as a valve audio output stage would into a loudspeaker. The line timebase is similar but of a much more 'spiky' character. Insulation is more important with the line stage than wire thickness. The thin wires as original are more than adequate. These are minor points are are of no significance until you get something on the screen. Anything!
[I have a 78 record of 'Rule Britannia' on the turntable waiting for that moment.] Regards, John.
Old 12th Feb 2013, 1:27 pm   #108
Freya
Octode

lol

Stephen
Old 12th Feb 2013, 2:00 pm   #109
audion_1908
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Phew! A lot there to think about.
The EHT lead should be OK joined the way you have done it. It's not good practise but perfectly OK for our purposes. The co-ax cable required is the type with the solid Polythene inner. It will be obvious by it's appearance.
Leave the ceramic caps well alone. There is nothing wrong with them. The untidy appearance of the lead out wires is normal. They have been dipped in a coating to keep the damp out. Never known a faulty one.
The silver foil is screening to prevent interference from the line timebase entering neighbouring radio receivers. It's no longer a problem and has been rendered obsolete.
They packed crisps in greaseproof paper bags back in 1954...
Wire glue appears to be the work of the devil..
You may be able to replace individual pins in the B9A valveholder if you can find an exact style. It's better replaced but leave it till you have a good 'first light'.
I'll post you some cavity connector pictures later today. I have a couple of tubes on the bench so no problem.
My Gran would have said 'It will all end in tears' so I want you to prove her wrong!
Regards, John.
PS I have discovered a similar valve holder in my stocks. It does not have the chassis mounting ring but looks similar 'guts' so you should be able to extract the pins. I also have some EHT lead that should do the trick. You can have them FOC if you need them. I would suggest you get it up and 'working' as it is. Valveholder replacement can lead to mistakes.J.
The silver foil I found in bits is not the case screening, I think its a 1980 or 90s crisp packet!
I am dreading having to replace the ceramic valve holder and had been thinking if it was possible to replace just the 2 damaged pin contacts, that would lead to less chance of a mistake or component damage.

and thanks for the offer of the valve holder and EHT lead, I will test the TV first

Last edited by audion_1908; 12th Feb 2013 at 2:01 pm. Reason: no The
Old 12th Feb 2013, 2:33 pm   #110
audion_1908
Hexode

Quote:
Not a huge amount Stephen with these old receivers. The frame time base will produce about the same current into the deflection coils as a valve audio output stage would into a loudspeaker. The line timebase is similar but of a much more 'spiky' character. Insulation is more important with the line stage than wire thickness. The thin wires as original are more than adequate. These are minor points are are of no significance until you get something on the screen. Anything!
[I have a 78 record of 'Rule Britannia' on the turntable waiting for that moment.] Regards, John.
I will have to check the cables voltage rating but I think its 300v and is listed as 3amp max but I think 3a is a bit high for the wire, the old rubber insulation was not that thick?
Old 12th Feb 2013, 2:39 pm   #111
audion_1908
Hexode

Quote:
Hello again Stephen,
I have attached pictures of the ceramic valveholder for comparison. Also attached are pictures of the CT8 cavity connector and another shows suitable EHT lead. Early tubes had the standard valve type top cap connector but all later tubes used the CT8. One picture shows the adaptor that converted the early cap to the later CT8 type when fitting more up to date tube replacements. Later receivers, due to an increase in EHT voltage are fitted with the familiar insulating plastic cap. J.
I think my ceramic valve holder is a different type to your valve pin holder, my one has a metal leaf each side of the valve pin and yours is a C shaped metal contact around the valve pin?
Old 12th Feb 2013, 2:54 pm   #112
audion_1908
Hexode

Quote:
Hello again Stephen,
It looks like I have a cavity connector but with no insulating plastic cap?
Old 12th Feb 2013, 5:47 pm   #113
Freya
Octode

A picture is going to help again, one of the tube 1st anode and one of the HT end cap as it is.

Stephen
Old 12th Feb 2013, 6:50 pm   #114
audion_1908
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by freya2871 View Post
A picture is going to help again, one of the tube 1st anode and one of the HT end cap as it is.

Stephen
If you mean the CRT, I will take some pictures of the new deflection coil wiring and the CRT EHT lead connecter, when I find my LED torch as its to dark for my phone to get a good picture.

Last edited by audion_1908; 12th Feb 2013 at 6:58 pm. Reason: missing text
Old 12th Feb 2013, 10:36 pm   #115
audion_1908
Hexode

Quote:

Stephen
Here are the pictures of the EHT cap on the CRT and the CRT base.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130212_211548.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	76120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130212_211712.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	76121  
Old 12th Feb 2013, 10:39 pm   #116
audion_1908
Hexode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by audion_1908 View Post
I have replaced the perished rubber wire to the deflection coils, the old wire was so bad even the cotton cover was crumbly and could not be saved the new wire is thinner but I dubbed it up so it should be ok, what is the peak current threw the deflection coils?
This may lead to some interesting effects being doubled up, never tried it though.

Stephen
Here are some pic's of the new diy deflection coils leads.
I tried to mach the colors but the old wires where very faded.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130212_211615.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	76122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130212_211649.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	76123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130212_211712.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	76124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130212_211820.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	76125  
Old 12th Feb 2013, 10:41 pm   #117
audion_1908
Hexode

pic of the speaker and the only rubber wire not perished in the TV!
the speaker looks ok?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130212_211806.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	76126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130212_211728.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	76127  
Old 12th Feb 2013, 10:50 pm   #118
audion_1908
Hexode

Quote:
Showing method of removal from CRT. I would suggest you leave well alone for present. Great care must be taken around this area of the tube as it can be easily damaged. Old glass needs to be treated with espect. J.
It is a good thing I cut the EHT lead to get the boards out then.
Old 12th Feb 2013, 11:01 pm   #119
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

No need to get paranoid about the tube Stephen. I was just being a bit cautious as it is your first, or one of your first telly receivers. Just take it easy and give yourself plenty of time. Nice work by the way. That scan coil plug looks good to me that is if you have got the wires on the right pins.... So easy to make a mistake as I did a year back..What ever wire you have used will be fine. It is in no way critical. John.
Old 13th Feb 2013, 12:01 am   #120
audion_1908
Hexode

I was careful to made a diagram of the old wiring before replacing it, the new wire was listed with a 3 amp rating, I did try to pull the EHT connecter out, but its firmly stuck I will get some wd40 to try on it. and I am cautious around CRTs as they can implode and this one would be very hard to replace
Closed Thread