UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2011, 2:26 pm   #1
YoungManGW
Hexode

Default Help Wanted Please - Shrops/Wales Border

I am entirely new to the game of restoring vintage televisions, but want to have a crack at the Bush TUG24 that I have.

I have removed the chassis and speaker so as to be able to make a start on the cabinet. I am sadly lacking, though, in the electronics department. Due to that and having read the sensible cautions on this site re. live chassis working and the EHT supply, I would welcome spending some time with an 'old hand' who can show me the ropes.

Is there anyone able and willing to share their enthusiasm and knowledge please? I am pretty much on the Shropshire/Wales border.

Thanks, Richard
Old 26th Dec 2011, 3:11 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Help Wanted Please - Shrops/Wales Border

I really wouldn't start vintage restoration from scratch with a TV set. They are complex things with many possible faults and quite a few traps for the inexperienced. It's better to start with a 1950s valve radio and learn the basics on that, even if your primary interest is in TVs. You should be able to pick up a suitable 'learner set' for a fiver or so.
Old 26th Dec 2011, 3:17 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Have you worked on valve equipment before? If not, a TV isn't really the right place to start.

Are you aware that you will not be able to receive pictures on this set without a standards converter?

Steve Pendlebury's website is a good place to read and learn: http://www.oldtellys.co.uk/otindex.html

Do you have the service info for this set? Some may be available for £1.99 from this site (see top right corner of screen). There's also some on Jon's site:
http://www.thevalvepage.com/tvmanu/bush/bush.htm

PS: Post crossed with Paul's.
Old 26th Dec 2011, 4:24 pm   #4
YoungManGW
Hexode

Jeffrey/Paul,

Thank-you for your replies and pointers to further information.

No, no experience with valve equipment, hence the request for some 'hand-holding' from an experienced enthusiast. I have been reading Tim Smit's book, Eden, so am in 'They did it because they didn't know it was supposed to be impossible' mode.

I've looked for the relevant service info, but can't find it for the TUG24 - do you know if the chassis is the same as that used in any other Bush set?

Yes, aware re. the standards converter requirement, but thank-you.

Best wishes.
Old 30th Dec 2011, 11:01 pm   #5
1955APREN
Hexode

Dear richard
I live on the east side of the county shropshire / stafford boarder . I have circuit digram of bush tug24 , but set was a little b4 my time in trade if you would like to send me a p/m i will try to point you in the right way with aid of telephone ect, regards Derrick
Old 30th Dec 2011, 11:24 pm   #6
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Give Chas Miller a shout (01785284696) He is running a radio and TV repair workshop towards the end of January at Sambrook Village Hall - there will be a number of like minded individuals there to help.

HTH
Sean