UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2011, 5:12 pm   #1
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Perdio Portarama MKII

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to win one of these sets in the auction at RWB, I have powered the set from 12v and has a very bright tube Frame scan is low (prob due to leaky caps)

No IF activity it seems as when the Aurora is connected I can't get anything on screen or on sound.

What are the 3 buttons for on the front?

The set only works when the 'B' button is pressed.

Thanks
Old 6th Dec 2011, 5:19 pm   #2
neil29
Heptode

Default Re: Perdio Portarama MKII

Hi Lee. I bought one of these a while back and it performs much like your set. The buttons are O for off, M for mains and B for battery. It finally occurred to me after about 20 years what they did!

Cheers,
Neil.
Old 7th Dec 2011, 1:40 pm   #3
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil29 View Post
The buttons are O for off, M for mains and B for battery. It finally occurred to me after about 20 years what they did!

Cheers,
Neil.

Oh yes...... Of course!

Cheers
Old 7th Dec 2011, 10:51 pm   #4
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Quote:
I have powered the set from 12v and has a very bright tube
Just a thought, but have you checked the heater volts are correct ?

Have in the back of my mind a possible fault condition which can apply too many volts to the heater but I may be confusing the Perdio with the Philips TVette??

TTFN,
Jon
Old 7th Dec 2011, 11:07 pm   #5
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
The tubes in these sets are not the unreliable ones like in the T-Vette. Remember these sets are full of AF*** transistors and are prone to whiskering.
These sets work well when OK but a lot have been twiddled to try and reduce noticeable buzz that is very common on this chassis.
Old 8th Dec 2011, 2:36 pm   #6
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies and info chaps
I didn't realise it was fitted with the dreaded AF11x's.

It will give me some tinkering to do in the workshop over the festive period I guess.

Of course family comes first..... Always!

Cheers
Old 14th Dec 2011, 12:36 am   #7
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Have never seen oner of these sets but have heard they were quite good. If the raster is overbright I would check the A1 voltage for being to high and then check the cathode and grid voltages.
Old 31st Dec 2011, 5:21 pm   #8
Old Grump
Diode

I am at present restoring 2 of these sets, I remember servicing them in the early 1970's and somewhere have a "stock Fault" list from the 1960's that was in my (original Perdio) manual but seems to have gone walkabout, a trip to the loft is now planned!

The tube heater is fed directly from the 11.6 volt regulated supply so make sure the regulator is working correctly to preserve the heater!!, one of my sets is correct at 11.6 at switch on but rises to over 13v in the first few minutes so I am being very careful until I nail the fault.

The tubes do seem to have stood the test of time well both having nice crisp sharp bright pictures which may indicate these tubes are survivors, one of mine I acquired in about 1970 and it had not been powered in over 30 years until a week ago the other was bought at a boot fair for £2, 15 or so years ago for parts but is now to be restored. Remove fuses F3 and F4 and fit a 10ohm 10w resistor between the junction of the fuses and chassis as a dummy load to check out the power supply thoroughly before refitting the fuses, the regulated supply should be 11.6v across the dummy load.

I am new to the forum but will list any interesting faults I may come across that could help others with these sets as I find them.
Closed Thread