UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2005, 7:04 pm   #1
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Two TV Manufacturer Puzzles - Puratone, Nera, Tyer, P.A.M.

Whilst sifting through a pile of service data I came across the following two puzzles. Can anyone shed a bit more light ?

1) Anyone heard of a “Puratone” model T21-24 ? I have a schematic and parts list (without valve list) and it is undated. Two valves have manuscript markings PCF80, it is Band I/III using cascode triodes in the tuner and the CRT is electrostatically focussed. The mediocre quality of the drawings suggests this was probably not just a re-badged model from a major manufacturer.

2) The second puzzle concerns the early 50’s projection TV manufacturer “Nera”. I have an assortment of schematics where :-
a) One, numbered A105, drawn 3/3/53 by Nera of England (address was in Guilford).
b) One, numbered A106, drawnd 5/3/53 by P.A.M. Ltd of Guilford. Later adverts (1957) for Nera do mention their sets were manufactured by P.A.M.
c) Drawing numbered A101, drawn 21/1/53. by Tyer & Co Ltd, also of Guilford. Drawn in same style as previous drawings, in fact all three drawn by the same person !
Does anyone know who Tyer & Co were (I know they merged with P.A.M. in 1959) ? But why the three different companies in 1953?

TTFN,
Jon
Old 4th Sep 2005, 7:41 pm   #2
evingar
Octode

Default Re: Two TV Manufacturer Puzzles

Quote:
Does anyone know who Tyer & Co were
The only Tyer and Co I know of were involved in railway signal gear - Not sure if they ever diversified into domestic electronics though

http://www.signalbox.org/block/tyer.htm
Old 4th Sep 2005, 8:14 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello,
PURATONE were a large rental organization in FIFE ROAD, KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES SURREY. They rented mainly simple 'flash' looking sets of the 50's era and were very reliable. The chassis were made for them possibly by Regentone or Plessey. The company were taken over by TOP RANK [The man with the GONG....Yes I did say GONG] This company was then taken over by GRANADA TV RENTAL and the last time I visited Kingston the showroom was called BOX CLEVER another GRANADA company I believe.
NERA got into television very late and made to the best of my knowledge projection receivers only. The popular model was mounted on the ceiling rather like a modern colour projector and threw its picture onto a wall mounted screen. I think they went out of business in 1960.
I have a very odd table projection set made by a similar company that arrived late on the scene called 'JSF' from Devon. I think they only lasted 1 year. Hope this quenches your curiosity. Regards. JOHN.
Old 5th Sep 2005, 7:02 am   #4
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello Jon,

Here is all the info on "NERA" I have:

NERA Aksjeselskapet, Pilestredet 75C, Oslco 3, Norway (in 1967). “NERA” Transistorised VHF TV transposer equipment (but also made TV transmitters, FM broadcast transmitters and Microwave systems). UK rep – Ash Electronics Ltd, 12 Swallow Street, Piccadilly, London, W1 (in 1967).

NERA – projection TV. Made by Aren (Radio & Television) Ltd, High Street, Guildford, Surrey (in 1953). In 1954 known as Nera of England Ltd, Jeffries Passage, High Street, Guildford, Surrey.

Nera. Brand name of large screen projection televisions made by P.A.M. Ltd, of Merrow, Guildford (in 1959). In 1959, it merged with Tyer & Co. of Dalston. Both companies were part of the Southern Areas Electric Corporation.

As someone else has said, Tyer & Co. were well known in the railway signalling fraternity - such as myself! I think they became part of Adwest Engineering Ltd and then Field & Grant Ltd. I would be surprised if the "railway" Tyer & Co made TV sets but anything is possible!

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 5th Sep 2005, 8:58 am   #5
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Thanks for the info,

Dazzlevision, yep I cribbed the bit about the 1959 merger from your notes, they are proving useful.

John, any chance of scrounging a photo of your J.S.F. set, plus any details ? I have very little info on them and only one picture (a consollette with tambour doors) which looks later than 1956 (but it is).

The oddest projection set I know of was by Valradio. Description :-

1) Front projection all-in-one-cabinet
2) 2.5 inch CRT (assume MW6/2?)
3) 15 valves

Can you guess the year ? 1969 !!!!

TTFN,
Jon
Old 5th Sep 2005, 9:42 am   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Interesting to hear of the part played by P.A.M. Ltd. in this. I've only come across them as the makers of an odd little late '40s (?) portable radio, using as I recall three B7G-based valves, built in a heavy instrument-type bakelite case and driving just a pair of headphones.

Paul
Old 5th Sep 2005, 9:09 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

[QUOTE=Duke_Nukem]Thanks for the info,

John, any chance of scrounging a photo of your J.S.F. set, plus any details ? I have very little info on them and only one picture

Hello Jon,
I have another console JSF as well as the table model. The console I have is most odd with the mirror folding out from the bottom of the cabinet and reflecting the picture onto a solid aluminium screen. It is stored at a friends storage room and upon investigation a few weeks ago discovered the dreaded woodworm have reduced the cabinet to a very bad state. I last saw it about 15 years ago. I will take some pics of the table model and chassis for you and post soon. I have the service manuals, guarantee cards and sales brochers for the 1954 range. Regards. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JSF.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1387  
Old 5th Sep 2005, 9:35 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision
Nera. Brand name of large screen projection televisions made by P.A.M. Ltd, of Merrow, Guildford (in 1959).
My parents live in Merrow, and I think Howard is close by too.

It's certainly not the kind of place you'd expect a TV manufacturer to be situated - it was just a village with an ancient pub and church, a small row of shops, a few large (mainly 1930s) houses, and a golf course.

Does anyone have the precise address? I'd be very interested.

Nick.
Old 29th Sep 2005, 8:12 pm   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hi Jon,
Sorry its taken so long to dig out the JSF projection chassis. I slipped it out of the tiny table top cabinet so you can see how clever design. Its very small but totally self contained including the loudspeaker. I believe the same chassis was used in all models. Regards. JOHN.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JSF 1.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1575   Click image for larger version

Name:	JSF 2.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1577  
Old 30th Sep 2005, 8:40 am   #10
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Thanks John,

I wonder if it is the same chassis as used in the Nera P48 ceiling mounted projector (pic here ?

As regards the JSF, I picked up a manual for a JSF set at the last Harpendon and the (rather poor) picture on the front looks just like yours.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 30th Sep 2005, 8:50 am   #11
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

In "The Day of the Triffids" an expensive TV projector is mentioned. It's about this period and the limited description in the novel would fit. I wonder if John Wyndham had seen one of the these Nera projectors.
Old 30th Sep 2005, 9:44 am   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Jon,
I also picked up a manual for the JSF at Harpenden! There were two copies and I expect you got the other one. The JSF factory was short lived, I suspect maybe no longer than a year. By 1954 larger directly viewed screens were available and most leading makers had dropped projection from their ranges. The manual is hand typed with many typos and the original instruction books and installation guides have whole sections 'ruled through' with Biro by the makers!
Projection sets were horrible from all angles and the public hated them. It was the only way of obtaining a large picture in those far off days. Any attempt to obtain a brighter picture resulted in the eht unit groaning in protest and the picture going out of focus. I have attached a page from a WHITE-IBBOTSON 'CONSTANT FOCUS' model purchased on the 8th May 1953 just in time for the Coronation. I think the owners comment in pencil at the bottom says it all! Two of the best were the tidy PHILIPS 600A and the DECCA 1000 4 X 3 ft manufactured by PLESSEY for DECCA. Regards. JOHN.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	W.I..JPG
Views:	184
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1581  
Old 30th Sep 2005, 10:51 pm   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello again,
Just to end the thread with the JSF projection television I decided this evening to attempt to get a picture on it. I obtained it many years ago together with four van loads of junk from a derilict television shop that was about to be redeveloped. It is a five channel model dating from 1954 and was never converted to ITA so I suspect was part exchanged in the late 50's for something more up to date. It is very well built and well enginered but full of HUNTS capacitors.
I will keep it short...Powering up, nothing, no heaters. Found EF80 in place of ECC83. No EHT. Caps in EHT circuit o/c and leaky. More caps faulty in protection circuit...All caps in frame osc/output u/s...Pictures attached to date showing under chassis view. Picture on workshop wall this evening and brilliant illumination in optical unit. Sound is very good.
I will open a thread when I have another go at it. AGC does not work and tube biasing is all wrong but I got bored replacing caps..Pictures are 405 tapes recorded in 1979 and channel 1 modulator.Regards.JOHN.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Underview.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1587   Click image for larger version

Name:	JSF Picture.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Optical box JSF.JPG
Views:	170