UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2008, 8:01 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default Betamax VCR recommendations

this is to avoid the original thread going OT.

My vote goes for most sanyo decks VTC 5000, vtc6500, mx10, mx100 etc - heads usually good (unlaced during winding); usually just need to replace some idler tyres and away you go.
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 9:48 pm   #2
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Betamax VCR recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
this is to avoid the original thread going OT.

My vote goes for most sanyo decks VTC 5000, vtc6500, mx10, mx100 etc - heads usually good (unlaced during winding); usually just need to replace some idler tyres and away you go.
Hi Ben.
Yes indeed the Sanyo Beta M/C's were good, teriffic value for money and quite reliable, certainly easier to fix than some Sony Beta's. Not quite the same picture quality though, but on the 5000 a quick twiddle to the de-emph contol worked wonders.
cheers
Trevor
Old 24th Nov 2008, 8:47 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I've worked on the Toshiba V5470 - excellent results and a nice looking machine.
We also rented quite a few Sanyo V9300 - very basic, an enormous "washing machine" motor that drove everything, but excellent picture quality.
Old 24th Nov 2008, 2:19 pm   #4
Studio263
Octode

I'd go for the Sony SL-8000 UB, similar in many ways to the Sanyo VTC9300 but much nicer looking, better performing and more interesting (it was the first Beta machine sold in the UK). They are very sturdy and not too hard to fix. The SL-C7 is the one to go for if quality is important, the later ones (C9 onwards) seem a bit too fragile to me.

Of course the Sany VTC-5000 is also a very good choice as it unlaces during rewind (etc), if only Sony made some like that.
Old 24th Nov 2008, 5:46 pm   #5
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

The Toshiba machine with four head perfect still pictuer not sure what the model is
Closed Thread