UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2008, 3:16 pm   #1
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Pye V4 "Repair"

Hi All.
This one I am afraid I cannot call a restoration!
I got this set about a year ago and have been waiting for scan coils ever since.
The set has a very interesting history, though, which I will explain briefly.

My good friend Bob Baird had a service call to a V4 in Muirkirk sometime during the winter of 1965, the customer lived in a "pre-fab" ;the house was very cold, with only a tiny lump of coal in the fire, the lady had a thick jumper on and a heavy coat, there was virtually no furniture and no carpets, she was, as far as Bob could tell, very poor.
The lady said she couldn't afford any more than 10 shillings.

Two valves were fitted, and as Bob felt sorry for her only charged the 10s. A few months later he received another call from her neighbour that the telly was faulty, this time the CRT had gone u/s and knowing the lady's financial position didn't think he could help, but he lifted the set and took it to the workshop. After a bit of searching a s/h CRT was found and another couple of valves were fitted; he had some problems with the set and found the focus a bit poor so the set was returned for just £3.

A few months later again the lady's neighbour came into the shop in a terrible mood complaining about this lady - it turned out she had died and after a police search for documents over £30,000 were found in shoe boxes!

Now back to the set: when I got the set the MW-36-44's label had RTB and the the date written in pen, Bob has done this to all CRT's he has fitted over the years, and as he said to me he only ever did one V4 CRT.
The set though was very rough with a badly rusted chassis, but wire brushing and a thourough soaking in WD40 has made no end of an improvement, I got a donor VT4 last week and retrieved the scan coils & frame o/p transformer. Every cap "yes them all" had to be replaced along with half a dozen resistors.
Bob hadn't done the mod for the different CRT and after doing this and setting up the line drive and linearity correctly the results are spectacular. The cabinet needs some work but that will be done at a later date.
Cheers.
Trevor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04165.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	14581   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04166.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	14582   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04167.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	14583   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04168.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	14584  

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 12th Aug 2008 at 10:56 am. Reason: Added punctuation
Old 17th Jan 2008, 8:07 pm   #2
Colin
Heptode

Default Re: Pye V4 "Repair"

Great story and a smashing set. It's wonderful how a bit of background can bring a set to life ... that and a few new caps... ;-)