UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2008, 9:30 pm   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Philips N1700 VCR - increasing playing time.

Good evening gentlemen this is a first post so I hope I have it right. Back in 1979/80 ish in 'Television' magazine there was an article on how to make a 1700 two speed.The vcr and handbook,magazine and quite a few tapes were stolen. I have found a replacement and I was wondering if anyone had a copy of the article as I have some 50 + tapes that I would like to watch and sort., some being 2 speed.
I think the author may have been Steve Beeching but I cant actually remember.Apologies if I have that wrong. I have tried to find a copy but have had no luck.
Thank you, I am sure I'm going to be back to bother you again.
Cheers.
Geoff. 555
Old 14th Jan 2008, 10:28 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Phillips 1700 VCR

Hi Geoff and welcome, I remember the Television article about the N1700 speed conversion, and the author was Mike Phelan, a much respected member of this forum . I still have a couple of N1700 machines that I modified for 2 speed years ago. The mod worked well but unfortunately the heads wore out on my 1700s long ago and are now unobtainable, (they never did last long!), so they lay idle along with a stash of old tapes. I may have a photocopy of the article but finding it could take some searching....

Regards, Mick.
Old 14th Jan 2008, 10:45 pm   #3
KeithsTV
Nonode

There was an article in the July 1980 issue on converting the 1500 to the 2 1/2 hour 1700 standard. Is this the one you were thinking of? I have looked in other issues up to 1982 but cannot find any mention of making the 1700 2 speed.

I can send you a copy of this article if you wish.

Keith
Old 14th Jan 2008, 10:50 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The only article I have found within this time period is by Nick Lyons (April 1979) to make the N1700 "a little more versatile than it starts life" - not specifically mentioning speed, though I haven't read the article in detail yet.

I will widen my search by a year in each direction to see whether I can find the article by Mike.
Old 14th Jan 2008, 10:57 pm   #5
KeithsTV
Nonode

There are a number of articles on improving the 1500 and the 1700 around that time. I'll continue looking as well.

Keith
Old 14th Jan 2008, 11:07 pm   #6
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Found it! It is in the April 1983 issue page 296. All I have is a faded photocopy though. I thought it was earlier but it's still a quarter of a century ago .

Regards, Mick.
Old 14th Jan 2008, 11:10 pm   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

In the July 1980 issue is an article by G. Beard on VDR speed conversion about upgrading N1500 VCRs to the N1700 2½ hour standard. Is that the one you mean?

Sorry, I missed it first time round.
Old 15th Jan 2008, 8:21 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I've only just spotted this thread!
The article that I did about the N1700 was to give longer playing time (nearly double), rather than a choice of two speeds, and (if I can drag it out of my forgettory - it was a long time ago) consisted of changing a resistor in one of the servo modules.
I suppose it could be switchable.
I did a similar article for the N1500, but that was achieved by turning the capstan motor pulley down.

Mick - thanks for the accolade!
Geoff - no apology needed.
Old 15th Jan 2008, 1:58 pm   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Mike,

from re-reading your article (which I have now emailed to Geoff 555), you did make it switchable (using a spare channel button, as mentioned above by Geoff). Incidentally, I have got the size down, so could probably attach it here if there is general interest.
Old 15th Jan 2008, 2:55 pm   #10
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Thanks for that, Dave - I didn't remember that I had done that
In mitigation, m'lud, it was a long time ago; I ought to have kept all this stuff (written in longhand!) or even just the magazines.
Old 15th Jan 2008, 3:18 pm   #11
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Mike,from re-reading your article (which I have now emailed to Geoff 555), you did make it switchable ........
Hi,
I modded a Philip's N1702 many years ago using the very article that is mentioned in this thread, I certainly made mine switchable but had to fit an extra switch as the spare contacts on the number 8 position button (the only one with a set of spare contacts) were being utilized to switch a relay to enable the added A/V inputs, which I believe was their intended original purpose.

I seem to recall, however, that the speed mod only worked with the N1702 and not the N1700.

Andrew
Old 15th Jan 2008, 3:41 pm   #12
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Both the machines I modded were N1700s, I added a small rocker switch on the control panel for the 2 speeds. Mine were ex-rental machines from one of those many dealers advertising in "Television", I think they cost £12 each "off the pile" or £57 each with a guarantee on the video heads. Much cheaper than VHS in the early 80s, and a better picture, but the head life was poor and the tapes could be tempermental. .

Regards, Mick.
Old 15th Jan 2008, 6:13 pm   #13
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I'm sure that the servo module is the same on the N1700 and N1702 (and possibly the N1502 as well) but it's all very hazy now.
I do know that the first one I successfully tested it on (for myself) was a 1700.
Old 15th Jan 2008, 8:46 pm   #14
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello and good evening. I would like thank everyone for the replies both very quick and interesting. I had been searching for years and had almost given up and if it hadnt been for wanting to find information about a Bush 22 I would still be waiting. What a wonderful resourse this forum is.
All best wishes.

Geoff 555.
Closed Thread