UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2008, 10:30 pm   #1
Alf
Hexode

Default Public Information Films (PIF)

....of the late sixties/seventies, can anyone remember the one about Reginald Molehusband and his attempts to reverse park? It seems that film has gone missing. I got thinking, would anyone have any old 405 videotapes, or early seventies with it on?
Old 10th Jan 2008, 11:49 pm   #2
SWB 18
Pentode

Default Re: Public Information Films (PIF)

Hi,

I think you might mean these films http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/15656...2/Product.html

Over 4 hours of them to bring back some more memories.

Phil.
Old 11th Jan 2008, 5:30 am   #3
adrian
Retired Dormant Member

Another PIF that seems to have gone AWOL (but not from my memory) is 'Don't Bank Your Fire In Foggy Weather'.

Certainly, when I was a young-un in the late '60's there were still many houses in our part of 'oop north' that had coal-burning hot-water boilers and fireplaces for heat. 'Banking' the fire at night made sure it didn't go out and could be revived quickly in the morning but it did produce a lot of thick smoke - leading to smog in foggy weather.
Old 11th Jan 2008, 1:43 pm   #4
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

They used to scare me as a kid.

I remember the one where a woman had a party and as she looked round her empty lounge before turning the light off a stern male voice told us the "this was the last time she will ever see this room" - cut to a shot of a lit cigarette falling out of an ashtray and down the back of her sofa. Along the same theme there was one where some kids were cold so lit a gas fire using matches and didn't quite put them out properly and burnt the house down.
Wasn't there a scary chip pan fire one too ? They all seemed to involve warning us about fires.
Also the stupid old woman on a three (soon to become two) legged stool changing a light bulb, that fell to bits and sent her crashing into a massive glass display cabinet.
It was all very sinister in th 70's. It's quite shocking we're all still here.

Mike Burton

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 26th Aug 2008 at 4:09 pm. Reason: Replaced missing apos
Old 11th Jan 2008, 3:08 pm   #5
Tom_I
Heptode

An appeal was put out about a couple of years ago for the Reginald Molehusband PIF, but as far as I know no copy has been found.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4700772.stm

It's astonishing that something which was shown so often, and is remembered by so many people, should have been lost. The original soundtrack exists, but not the video. BBC Breakfast found the original actor and the original car, and re-made the film, but it's not the same with Reginald looking 40 years older. You can see the re-make here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4770268.stm

To this day, whenever I see someone making a pig's ear of reverse parking, I still say (or at least think) "Come on Reginald".

Tom
Closed Thread