UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2008, 9:04 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Philips Laser Disk VLP600

I have two of these players with the same fault. The disks spin for a few seconds then shut down. Has any one any ideas as to the fault?
John.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 28th Aug 2008 at 11:01 am. Reason: Typos
Old 4th Jan 2008, 9:08 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips Laser Disk VLP600

Lasers not seeing the disk and shutting down? As in a faulty laser.

Will they start up and do the same thing without a disk in?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 4th Jan 2008, 9:18 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

I seem to remember that if the laser was faulty, the disc would spin up, then slow down and then spin up again like a hunting effect. Not sure if it would do this indefinitely, but it was a tell-tale sign when we used to get them in the Philips workshop.
If the laser is duff, not sure how you would go about repair. These are nothing like the little ones in CD and DVD players. They are housed in a long metal cylinder with the lens at the front and (I think) they shine through a prism. Unless you can get a scrap machine with a good one, I doubt there is much chance of a fix.

Rich.
Old 4th Jan 2008, 9:38 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thank you for your quick replies. With no disk it sounds to spin slowly clicking once a second. with disk in it spins for 4 seconds then freewheels for 10 seconds then repeats the cycle.
Old 4th Jan 2008, 11:09 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Newman View Post
I seem to remember that if the laser was faulty, the disc would spin up, then slow down and then spin up again like a hunting effect. Not sure if it would do this indefinately ...
That sounds a pretty accurate description of what my VLP700 does. It certainly continues to do so for as long as I let it - I don't know about indefinitely.
Old 5th Jan 2008, 12:08 am   #6
Danny
Heptode

Hi
Check the sled is free - they do get sticky. Another fault is grime on the optics: clean inside the laser enclosure. Next you need to find out if the laser is, in fact, lighting as it's powered in much the same way as a tv set and has an eht of about 2000 volts.

Disable the interlock to check but don't look directly at the laser. Use a white piece of paper or card to see its reflection in.

Next, the servos will need setting up, but you will need the manual to do this.
I dont think you will have a faulty laser - they were quite reliable, not like the modern solid state efforts.
I have played with the lasers in the past and its amazing how far they will reach.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 28th Aug 2008 at 11:06 am. Reason: Readability
Closed Thread