UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2008, 10:37 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default SONY BETA -C30 :decision time

I have 3 of these machines piled up in the workshop (2 the usual grey , one in rather fetching red). sadly two have what appear to be very worn video heads, the other has a dead deck if I recall.

Since I really need to thin out the accumulation of dead gear, I'd like to ask others' opinions on the feasibility of restoring any of them. Are head assemblies still available for this unit, and if so, is replacement relatively straightforward?
or, worst-case scenario, is this likely to be an expensive herculean task with comparatively little payoff and should I just strip them for parts (on that note,what would be worth preserving?)

any thoughts appreciated chaps
Ben
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 10:46 pm   #2
Mikey405
Octode

Default Re: SONY BETA -C30 :decision time

Hi Ben.

Heads are not amazingly difficult to change in Beta machines generally. They are a bit more awkward than most VHS machines and they need a little bit of setting up (eccentricity etc.). I'm not too sure about Sony C30s as I have never owned one, but you can normally replace and align a set of Sony C7 etc. heads in about half an hour if you take things carefully. I guess you could take the good heads and put them in the best of the other 2 machines Ben.

From Mike.

PS. You can get eccentricity gauges on the Internet, but it is possible to align the heads by eye without too much problem.
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 11:18 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

Try GRANDATA for heads. What's up with the 'Dead Deck' machine?

Like Mikey Says, they aren't that bad to change.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 12:14 am   #4
Danny
Heptode

Hi
C30 rings a bell have a good look at the pinch roller this gives strange faults and I used to have to replace the roller on most of these machines when thay came in.
I only had one of these models with a duff head.
Danny
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 12:45 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Try GRANDATA for heads. What's up with the 'Dead Deck' machine?
I have just plugged that one in and it has all come flooding back. It originally had a bust mech, which someone prior to me had diddled with, so I dimly recall swapping the whole deck over from a scrapper. Now the only thing which works is the load motor: the solenoid, drum and capstan motors are dead. I can get it to lace up and unlace by manually moving the solenoid but that's about it...
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 12:46 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Hi
C30 rings a bell have a good look at the pinch roller this gives strange faults and I used to have to replace the roller on most of these machines when thay came in.
I only had one of these models with a duff head.
Danny
cheers Danny, will take a look, but I suspect the pinch rollers are ok as there does not seem to be any irregular tape movement, creasing etc...
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 12:50 am   #7
Steve_P
Dekatron

Have you got volts on these motors?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 12:51 am   #8
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey405 View Post
Hi Ben.

Heads are not amazingly difficult to change in Beta machines generally. They are a bit more awkward than most VHS machines and they need a little bit of setting up (eccentricity etc.). I'm not too sure about Sony C30s as I have never owned one, but you can normally replace and align a set of Sony C7 etc. heads in about half an hour if you take things carefully. I guess you could take the good heads and put them in the best of the other 2 machines Ben.
cheers Mike. that's good news, at least it seems I could tackle a head swap.
the c30 is a basic frontload unit (see http://www.palsite.com/tech.py?model=slc30tech.html ) sadly it seems the first 2 have worn heads and the third deck has heads condition unknown. I might try a swap anyway, since I've nothing to lose....
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 12:53 am   #9
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Have you got volts on these motors?

Cheers,

Steve P.
thanks for the suggestion Steve. Will try and measure, but access is a problem - the motors seem to be buried in the depths and i don't have a jig to run the deck clear of the machine !
Old 9th Jan 2008, 5:33 am   #10
ben
Dekatron

ok,pressures of space and time mean I have decided to keep the red c30 as-is, and see if heads turn up and I'll attempt restoration at a later stage. To that end , I'll keep the dead deck c30 mech in case those heads turn out to be good. If anyone needs any (small!) bits off the remaining ropey c30s, which are being cannibalised, feel free to PM me....FOC, yours for postage costs.

thanks again for the suggestions here. this thread can now be closed.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 9th Jan 2008 at 8:39 am. Reason: Done!
Closed Thread