UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jan 2008, 4:25 pm   #1
Trev757
Banned

Default ???Televisor???

I wonder if someone could help?

From the depths of the workshop I have unearthed a large magnifying lens with a rubber seal around the edge and straps attached to it. The glass is tinted the same sort of colour as rose wine.

Is this something which was designed to go over the screens of 1950's tellies (e.g Bush TV21 etc) to make the picture bigger and give a bit of colour? If so, is it whats known as a "Televisor"?

I will probably be selling it, but want to ensure that I describe it accurately.

Many thanks

Trev
Old 1st Jan 2008, 4:29 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: ???Televisor???

To me the term "televisor" means a mechanical television to display NBTV.

What you have there certainly sounds like the magnifiers which were hung in front of small-screen televisions in the 1950s to give the impression of a larger screen.
Old 1st Jan 2008, 6:22 pm   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

The pink sounds suspiciously like someone has filled it with Aladdin paraffin!

The ones I have seen used either glycerine or liquid paraffin (? ISTR), and the liquid and its container were colourless.

As Dave says, the term "Televisor" was used essentially for the Baird spinning disc system. Yours is indeed a magnifier. They were a favourite accessory for the 9" Bush TV22.
Old 1st Jan 2008, 6:35 pm   #4
Trev757
Banned

Dave & Mike, many thanks for the info.

I had heard of the term televisor, but never in conjunction with the spinning disc system. I have only ever heard that referred to as the "mechanical system".

So, does anyone think this thing has any value and, if so, how much? I haven't a clue if they are rare or sought after in any way.

Trev
Old 1st Jan 2008, 6:41 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

In the early post war days the term "Televisor" was used in a more general sense to refer to the television display unit.

Radio Constructor for example used the term to refer to its own home constructor set throughout the early 1950s. All of these were conventional CRT based units.

Regards,
Old 1st Jan 2008, 7:34 pm   #6
Aerodyne
Octode

Baird was an early user of the name with his 'televisor' of 1930. Mechanical? certainly - using a Nipkow disc. Electronic amplification and electric motor, too.
Magnifiers of the type you have did tend to restrict viewing angles rather, but I do agree that they were popular: 9" screens meant that family viewing became a cosy affair!
-Tony
Closed Thread