UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2007, 9:14 pm   #1
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Default Sinclair MTV1 Restoration

I managed at last to get one of these. Just to remind you it was Sinclairs first attempt at a saleable pocket tv- multistandard with both VHF and UHF tuners. I often wondered why so many of these are advertised as 'screen lights up but no picture or sound'. The answer is because the in-built Ni-Cads disintegrate after 20 years disgorging their highly corrosive and conductive innards all over the tuner board. This one has some tuner problems but otherwise is not bad. It produces nice pictures at the bottom end of the UHF band but drags down the 33v tuning voltage when you try and tune it higher. Also, when switched to VHF it is clearly staying on UHF. All band switching is done by DC voltages operating pin diodes. The switching voltages with tuners out of circuit are fine so I guess I'm looking for funny leaks- possible the switching diodes themselves. I think this is going to be a long slow one for the dark winter nights! If anyone has worked on one of these it would be great to hear from you.
Steve
Old 12th Dec 2007, 12:22 am   #2
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Re: Sinclair MTV1 Restoration

If there is any chance of obtaining a copy then I'll post it on http://www.thevalvepage.com so that anyone can download it.

TTFN,
Jon

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 23rd Oct 2008 at 11:57 am. Reason: Removed quote from deleted post
Old 28th Dec 2007, 4:12 pm   #3
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

I am now deep in the depths of the VHF tuner on this set, having made up a 12 way connecting lead so that I could separate the tuner board and work on it 'live' which is not possible when the tuner board is plugged directly into the rest of the set.

The set works well on UHF (I am about 1 mile from crystal palace so have very strong UHF signals at the bottom of band 4). When I switched over to VHF however, I continued to receive a local UHF channel unaffected by the position of the tuning control! Also as a separate fault, the varicap tuning voltage supply line is low at about 20 volts instead of 33V.

All the switching voltages turned out to be correct with no supply voltage on the UHF tuner when switched to VHF , and my assumption therefore was that the VHF tuner is oscillating at the bottom of the UHF band and picking up the very strong local UHF signal. This turns out to be correct. When I opened the VHF tuner I found I could tune another UHF channel by hand capacitance on the VHF oscillator tuning coil! The problem is the varicap diode which tunes the oscillator.

I also discovered that another of the varicap diodes in the RF stage is leaky and was dragging down the 33v line. I would like to replace all the varicaps and hopefully restore normnal operation. Unfortunatly however they have no type number on them, being marked only with two brown stripes and a blue stripe on the TO92 plastic case. I have the circuit diagram for this set (which includes the tuners) but frustratingly the type numbers of the diodes is not marked. If anyone can help to identify, I would be most grateful.
Thanks,

Steve
Old 28th Dec 2007, 8:17 pm   #4
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niechcial,Steve View Post
Unfortunatly however they have no type number on them, being marked only with two brown stripes and a blue stripe on the TO92 plastic case.
Some diodes are colour-coded, I've had 1N4148s coded yellow-brown-yellow-grey.

You don't say which order the stripes are, but a good start for further investigation would be to read the colours as numbers then prefix with "1N".

Cheers, Kat
Old 29th Dec 2007, 12:01 am   #5
jjl
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Manton View Post
You don't say which order the stripes are, but a good start for further investigation would be to read the colours as numbers then prefix with "1N".
Or if they're of European type, prefix with "BB"; this being the Proelectron prefix for varicap diodes.

John
Old 29th Dec 2007, 11:50 am   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

If the colours are the pro-electron code no. are they BB118s?
Old 29th Dec 2007, 12:45 pm   #7
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

I don't know. I've looked at some TO92 case transistors with colour bands and the colours are not related to the transistor type.

Steve
Old 30th Dec 2007, 4:26 pm   #8
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Looking at this more closely, most varicap diodes of the period go between
2pf and about 15pf or 2pf and about 35 pf. I will try the 35pf jobs first. If I then find that I have tuned the whole frequency range using only half the tuning control scale I will know I went for the wrong bet!

If anyone has a circuit of a VHF varicap tuner of that period with the component vaues marked, that would be another good clue.
Steve
Old 14th Jan 2008, 1:27 pm   #9
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Steve has kindly scanned pages and sent them to me (forgot to say thanks Steve ). I'm editing them, PDF'ing them and shall be making the result generally available.

I would have got it finished last weekend but for one thing and another ...

TTFN,
Jon
Closed Thread