UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2007, 4:03 pm   #1
Andy Green
Hexode

Default 819/625 Sony - help identify this set

Hi all,

I have just bought an interesting old sony portable and would like help identifying it so I can get a circuit diagram for it.

It has been (quite professionally) modified to accept video via a PL259 socket on the back panel, and there is a TV / Video switch on the side.
It seems to work quite well, although the picture seems a tad overscanned. If switched to CCIR mode, it can demodulate the Irish UHF TV system I broadcasts, on VHF it also does, but for some reason the picture rolls, and despite twiddling the vertical hold, I cannot acheive frame lock, despite a solid signal - any thoughts ?

It is very interesting to compare the 819 line picture with the 625 line one using my Aurora multistandard converter - the line structure and definition is very good on 819!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony 819-625 001 (Large).jpg
Views:	422
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	9983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony 819-625 002 (Large).jpg
Views:	305
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	9984  
Old 29th May 2007, 12:52 am   #2
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: 819/625 Sony - Help Identify this set

At a guess I'd say this is a Gallic version of the TV-110UK that was sold here (and is covered in the red R+TV S books). This being the case you are lucky that the tube is still any good, the TV-110UK was not the best of models in terms of tube life, odd as the previous TV9-90UK was so good in this respect.
Old 29th May 2007, 9:12 am   #3
Mr Hoover
Hexode

Hi

This is the TV 110UM or the TV 112UM.
Not sure where to get circuit diagram I'm afraid.
I've been trying to find the same TV

The frame rolling may be capacitor related on the IF board
around the AGC circuitry? Does it try and lock at all?

Try a weaker off air signal? Does it improve the lock?
Old 30th May 2007, 10:44 am   #4
Andy Green
Hexode

Thanks both of you for the replies - Forgive my ignorance, but what are the Red R+TV books (And where can they be obtained?)
Regarding the frame rolling, no a weaker signal doesn't help, it will lock fine, however, if a video signal is fed into the set directly via the SO239 socket on the rear panel (which is how I took the pictures at the beginning of this thread, one 625, the other 819 lines)
Old 30th May 2007, 11:08 am   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

From the late 40s to the 80s, there was one Radio + Television Servicing book every year, which carried current and recent service data. They changed publisher several times, but are often referred to as Newness Books.

Try your library, or look around Swapmeets, Old Book Shops, etc.

I've got the TV110-UK Version, if that helps.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 30th May 2007, 1:27 pm   #6
Mr Hoover
Hexode

Fairly certain now it is the TV 112UM,search google with Sony TV 112UM and you'll find a reference and picture of it in Marcel's TV museum.You could ask Marcel?

http://www.marcelstvmuseum.com/sony%...0folder01.html

The rolling may be something to do with the video input mod that was done. I came across something similar once on a 9" American Sony TV 920u modified for video input

Last edited by Station X; 30th May 2007 at 1:36 pm. Reason: Link added.
Old 30th May 2007, 3:53 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
From the late 40s to the 80s, there was one Radio + Television Servicing book every year, which carried current and recent service data. They changed publisher several times, but are often referred to as Newness Books.

Try your library, or look around Swapmeets, Old Book Shops, etc.
Also often referred to as R&TVS. They may not be common in the Republic though since they cover models for the UK market. (They're getting harder to find here too, as philistine libraries dispose of them).

Paul
Old 31st May 2007, 6:00 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The volume containing the TV10UK is 1971-2.
Old 1st Jun 2007, 9:14 am   #9
Mr Hoover
Hexode

You should be able to buy a PDF download of the manual here

http://www.manuals-in-pdf.com/TV112UM-p-209221.html

I've just ordered one for my Sony TV 990UM
Old 2nd Jun 2007, 7:21 pm   #10
Andy Green
Hexode

Ok , thanks for all this helpful info - I had seen marcel's site before, but there is so much to look at there, I hadn't seen the Sony link.
I am fascinated by (among other things) different TV standards, and I always found, in particular, the French 819 line standard interesting, (I think I went off at a tangent off topic slightly on the 'oldest 405 line aerial' thread ! (sorry moderators) especially since seeing the double pictures during 'lift' conditions on my old 405 line Ferguson 45T back in the early 70's.

It is interesting to see the reverse effect: - i.e. how French viewers saw BBC co - channel interference on their sets For those that may be interested, I will post a picture next week (when I am back in work where my sets are stored) of this effect using the Sony and the Aurora set to 405 lines

Andy

Last edited by Andy Green; 2nd Jun 2007 at 7:21 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 21st Jun 2007, 12:45 pm   #11
Andy Green
Hexode

As promised, here is a pic which shows how a 405 line system 'A' picture might have looked on a system E 819 line set - (assuming no co-channel interference and a rock solid signal - but you get the idea!)
I have several video sources now, but only one modulator (Darryls Aurora system 'A' one) but I could simulate real world Sporadic 'E' and tropo lift conditions if I can get another modulator together!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00008 (Large).JPG
Views:	385
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	10385  
Closed Thread