UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2020, 6:19 pm   #21
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Spencer West box...

I think all the Convertors were separate buys Alan [post 19*. I've never heard of them being rented out but it's not impossible that one could have been included [or maybe "bundled" as we would say now, eg a FS and Sound Bar] in the sale of a set but I doubt it Once integrated sets already compatible with BBC and ITV were in a majority these "add ons" became largely redundant. They were handy items for experimenters, given that they supplied a ready made Chassis/"Cabinet"/ PSU and at least one valve. Some still turn up even now!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 20th Sep 2020 at 6:48 pm.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 10:15 pm   #22
emeritus
Dekatron

Extracts attached from dad's book "Television Servicing Handbook" by Gordon J. King, Odhams, 1960 printing of the 1958 edition. Firstly, a description and circuit diagram of the Spencer-West convertor, and secondly a description of the convertor we had (actually a Pye: its replacement was a Bush: it was a long time ago) , which took its power from the TV via the socket of a valve that was transferred to the convertor. Dad kept the redundant convertor in his shed for years after we had got rid of the old Pye TV, only binning it when we moved house.

That chapter of the book also has descriptions and circuit diagrams of some other convertors.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Band III Convertors .pdf (1.04 MB, 57 views)

Last edited by emeritus; 20th Sep 2020 at 10:22 pm.
Old 21st Sep 2020, 1:05 am   #23
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Our HMV2805 was replaced with an HMV1871 but I can't remember exactly when.
It certainly was not as early as 1956 when ITV started from Winter Hill, I would guess we were without ITV for 3 or 4 years. No converter.

When we finally did get the new set the old band I "H" aerial was taken down and planted at the far end of the garden and used as a support for mum's washing line, and later for my long wire for my crystal sets and still later my amateur radio operation.

The elements of the "H" had been snapped off and shoved inside the mast, so on windy days they would clang like a death knell!
Old 21st Sep 2020, 9:32 am   #24
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Spencer West box...

Hi,
Band III converters were made by other companies too.
This is my 'Sterling' set top box.
As a teenager, I ran three co-ax leads and a mains cable from the telly to the armchair and used it to change the channel remotely. Much to the amazement of my mother!
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sterling band III converter (2).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	216097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sterling band III converter (4).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	216098  
Old 21st Sep 2020, 10:21 am   #25
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The STIRLING was a very good converter. When I was a kid I rigged one up to a PYE B18T, the converter standing on the bedside table. With it's Band 1-Band 3 switch and on off switch it served as remote control! With some success I messed about with stubs in an attempt to eradicate the patterning caused by BBC breakthrough. [What the Papers Say with Brian Inglis[?] followed by 'Scotland Yard' made at Merton Park Studios, just a stones throw from our house.] Happy Days.
A TV in a child's bedroom.
It could only lead to juvenile delinquency.. John.
Closed Thread