UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2020, 7:14 pm   #21
RobustReviews
Pentode

Default Re: Amstrad/Funai Transport Questions

Hi guys it's me again.

Well the PSU is fixed and the deck is far more alive than it was!

Issue now, after belts replaced.

Machine loads and ejects without complaint, hit play and well the pinch roller (throughly cleaned) does its thing and the machine starts to play. However there's no take up and after unwinding about 150mm of tape the machine freezes with a load of slack tape stuck in the machine.

Driving the deck forwards or backwards the motor engages but the tape spools don't move

Is this the brake issue? Identical issue on both decks.

Cheers,
RR
Old 8th Jan 2020, 8:03 pm   #22
RobustReviews
Pentode

Well exercised the mechanism and its back to life, the rewind and fast forwards seem slow but that'll do for the moment.

Now plays but the picture is stable but VERY snowy, (stable though and sound is okay) tracking doesn't affect it.

I have cleaned the video heads but no difference :-(
Old 9th Jan 2020, 12:18 pm   #23
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Could be heads, of course, but it's worth keeping on trying. Does the tracking control make absolutely no difference? There should be something visible when you rotate it.
Old 9th Jan 2020, 5:30 pm   #24
RobustReviews
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Could be heads, of course, but it's worth keeping on trying. Does the tracking control make absolutely no difference? There should be something visible when you rotate it.
Sorry I should have explained that better, the tracking does adjust as expected but has no pact on the 'snow". I still get tracking lines and loss of sync at the extremes of the tracking control.
Old 13th Jan 2020, 11:27 am   #25
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

It does sound like heads, I'm afraid. You've nothing to lose by keeping cleaning them. Do check the back tension's sufficient to start with, though. If it's roughly correct and manually increasing it improves the picture then the heads are suspect. If it makes no difference then there could be a preamp fault, though this is unlikely.
Old 13th Jan 2020, 3:43 pm   #26
RobustReviews
Pentode

I did manually increase the tape back-tension to no affect.

Having four of these transports laying around, I did swap the heads about (very easy on these machines) and all heads give near identical results.

I also switched around some video boards, and even the PSU absolutely no change so I might now start blaming the television - I have heard some modern LCDs really don't react well to VHS signals?

Cheers,
RR
Old 13th Jan 2020, 4:30 pm   #27
ben
Dekatron

Could be:
- Deck/guide problem (misaligned)
- Control /servo problem (check and resolder A/C head)
- Head amp problem /cracked print?
Closed Thread