UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2019, 9:55 pm   #21
greg_simons
Octode

Default Re: Sony SL-C9 Betamax DC-DC converter

Hi tim
I too worked for a sony main repair agency and can relate to everything you say, sony spares prices were very expensive, due to the convoluted supply chain that saw a mark up at every stage, yes the later stuff was quite flimsy and cheap, sony seemed really eager to discontinue spares as quickly as possible for obsolete models but would then surprise you by being able to supply heads for long gone dat machines complete with a thick layer of official dust, the glory days for them ended in the mid nineties and thereafter saw a gradual decline, both in quality and attitude to staff and customers alike although i ended up as a digital camera engineer on their semi pro stuff, happy days though, i miss them and my old colleagues.
Greg.
Old 24th Dec 2019, 5:25 pm   #22
Snarf81
Heptode

Default Re: Sony SL-C9 Betamax DC-DC converter

Hi all.

Quick update on this.

I sent the faulty DC-DC converter to a fellow member on here and he very kindly repaired it for me.
Apparently it was drawing 128mA and after repair was drawing 60mA. The electrolytics and polyester capacitors were shot but the transistor and transformer were ok.

I now have a beautiful bright display back on the vcr.

This is the 1st time the display has been working since 1984 when it went in for a repair estimate on the DC DC converter and replacement of those white nylon front loading mechanism gears that had broken. The owner decided not to go ahead with the repair and the vcr was boxed back up into its original packaging along with the original linear stereo demo tape still stuck inside (Simon and Garfunkel in Central Park), remote, RF cable and instructions. When I got hold of it recently I changed the loading gears for metal ones and the vcr worked perfectly, apart from the DC DC converter. So after not being used in 35 years you can imagine how clean the vcr is. Remarkable, and the picture quality is outstanding! I've also changed the back-up battery so I can store analog signals in the tuner from a Philips N1700 VCR.

Anyway... Thanks to all who replied with advice.

Happy Christmas
Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_153041.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	195804   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_160611.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	195805   Click image for larger version