UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2007, 8:16 am   #1
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Fergy 941/951 Chassis Removal

OK, it's time to feel very silly.

Just how do you get the chassis out ? The CRT won't slide pass the speaker that is mounted on the side, and I can't seem to get enough access to remove the speaker because of the CRT (which also blocks my view so can't quite see all the bits that hold the speaker in). There doesn't seem to be enough room to tilt the chassis in order to get past (not helped by my CRT phobia).

TTFN,
Jon
Old 4th Apr 2007, 8:38 am   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Fergy 941/951 Chassis Removal

Hello Jon,
Unfortunately you have to smash the tube with a hammer so as to remove the chassis...Only do this if you know the tube is definitely U/S before you start the repair. You have to cut a hole in the cabinet front to fit the replacement...
I have several of these sets and you have to remove the speaker before the chassis can be removed.

The original Ferguson manual states: 'Next remove the loudspeaker from the baffle. In earlier models this is held in position by four nuts but on later models an improved fixing is employed and it is only necessary to remove one woodscrew at the rear when it will be found that the loudspeaker can be pulled forward out of the two clips that then secure it. The chassis complete with loudspeaker can then be withdrawn from the cabinet......'

Well that's it, Jon.

Good luck with it but I bet the LOPT overwind is shorted turns.
Regards John,

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 20th Dec 2007 at 5:23 pm. Reason: S&P
Old 4th Apr 2007, 10:35 am   #3
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Quote:
Unfortunately you have to smash the tube with a hammer so as to remove the chassis...
You know, given my CRT phobia I did give that serious consideration

Quote:
...on later models an improved fixing is employed and it is only necessary to remove one woodscrew at the rear when it will be found that the loudspeaker can be pulled forward out of the two clips...
Ah ha, I think I've been lucky. I can just make out the lower retaining thingy which is a bracket-looking sort of thing. If the rain holds off tonight I'll take a closer look. It'll still be difficult though, what with trying to manipulate the screwdriver whilst wearing extra thick gloves and the darn safety goggles steaming up every 30 seconds ...

TTFN,
Jon
Old 4th Apr 2007, 2:00 pm   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

John it does sound like you have a phobia, just shudders to think back age 17 scrubbing up a big round 12 inch tube in the sink ,scrubbing brush and hot water
Old 5th Apr 2007, 8:15 am   #5
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Phew, chassis is out, it was just the one screw but needed one hell of a tug as it was a bit stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort
Good luck with it but I bet the LOPT overwind is shorted turns.
If it is then I can understand why - the top of the visconal is so close to the aquadag that I assume these sets must run with a permanent arc-over from the EHT !

TTFN,
Jon
Old 6th Apr 2007, 7:11 am   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello again Jon,
The problem with the lopt is the multiple eht overwind and the fact that it was Fergusons first set with flyback eht. The 842 series used an RF unit. The symptoms usually are very low AC at the anode of the EY51. The set gives a very good brilliant picture, every bit as good as the TV22 when working correctly.
I have a vision of you clad in a brass deep sea divers outfit complete with lead boots....Just to remove a loudspeaker?
All this Wendy Woo nonsense for a 9" tube....Wait till you get a set with a Mazda CRM151..That sorts the men from the boys..
PS If you seed a copy of the original manual, let me have a forwarding address. Regards John.
Old 6th Apr 2007, 7:24 pm   #7
Duke_Nukem
Octode

CRM151 ? Thats nownt, the one in this fridge-freezer is the scariest thing I've ever seen :-
http://www.thevalvepage.com/tv/cossor/cos900/cos900.htm

Re the 951 manual, yes please ! I only have the ERT sheet to hand, and they don't even have the decency to put the flamin' component values on the cct diagram.

TTFN,
Jon
Closed Thread