UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2007, 9:01 pm   #1
Mikey405
Octode

Default Modern 405 Transmissions

Hi everyone.

Does anyone still transmit 405-lines in an amateur capacity? In the early 90s a few of us down in Devon used to have an ATV net on Thursday evenings and I would sometimes transmit 405 lines on 70CM UHF (430MHz-ish?). Once I transmitted an episode of "The Avengers" to a mate of mine in Woodbury on UHF, with the sound on a "spare" 2M channel around 145MHz. He received it on a Sony 9-90UB and an Icom IC2E.

Although I was licensed to transmit ATV, I don't think it was very legal transmitting episodes of TV programs.

Bye everyone.

From Mike.
Old 24th Mar 2007, 2:01 pm   #2
brightsparkF5VL
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Modern 405 Transmissions

In one of my valve radio searches, I came across an old TV web site(cannot remember where but it should be easy to find) This group have a converter that changes modern broadcasts into 405 line tv. I think it is freely available to enthusiasts.

Good luck
Old 24th Mar 2007, 5:35 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

There is a whole section discussing standards converters etc right on this forum, immediately below this section......

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...splay.php?f=95

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 24th Mar 2007, 7:52 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Returning to the subject of amateur transmissions - if there is anything being transmitted, I would be interested in having a listen, having recently acquired an AR88LF communications receiver. I assume that any video reception would require way too much bandwidth, but might be an interesting experiment whether there would be anything left that could be displayed using a modulator and receiver - once I get my modulator working properly.
Old 24th Mar 2007, 7:55 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Nothing of any use would be left. Optimistically, a sound receiver might have a maximum bandwidth of 20kHz. To get even vaguely recognisable 405 line pictures you would need more than 10 times this.
Old 24th Mar 2007, 8:23 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks for confirming that. I thought as much, but thought I would try out a little optimism for a change Nah! I think I'm happier with pessimism
Old 24th Mar 2007, 10:02 pm   #7
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Amateur television activity (of the "wideband" flavour - 405/525/625-line) was confined to the 70cm band and upwards. If I'm up-to-date, the 70cm band has been eroded somewhat and there's no room for it any more; so it'd be on the 23cm band and up now. Both are a bit beyond an AR88.

There's some slow-scan activity on the HF bands, but that's OT for this thread (though a search for "SSTV Software" may prove fruitful...)

Regards, Kat
Old 24th Mar 2007, 10:39 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Woops! I realise now that I misread the wavelengths quoted in the original post