UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2007, 12:46 pm   #1
thyratron
Tetrode

Default Bush TV53 - a discourse

I was so amazed with the results on the TUG58 that I decided to give a TV53 the same 'going over'.
This set has the same chassis as the TUG58 and I must say these chassis are -an absolute joy - to work on.
The separate power pack and timebase panel has most of its caps and carbs on 'Tufnol' or paxolin panels that seems more like the underside of an H J Leak amplifier
(remember them?)
Either this or the rf chassis come out in about the same time it takes to remove the screws from the card set back !
How different to my last few years in the trade where everything became so difficult to get at and impossible to service with a smile!
I like the rectangle tube..is it like the one chucked on the dump at the start of the Wombles
Also check out the interlace on the close up...
looks like flywheel frame sync...ha ha..
or am I just showing off!
The set is now in a bedroom and although I disapprove of television in bedrooms where else can you stick a second set like this?
regards
THYRATRON
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	organ.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	8829   Click image for larger version

Name:	testcard.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	8830   Click image for larger version

Name:	interlace.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	8831  

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 28th Dec 2007 at 10:51 am. Reason: Unnecessary upper case
Old 20th Mar 2007, 1:10 pm   #2
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Re: Bush TV53

I've seen the bakelite TV62 version in action (only few minor circuit differences I believe) and that too gave a cracking picture, easilly the best I've seen from that era. Just a shame that the RF chassis are prone to rusting badly :-(

Most of the sets of the era are just boxes with two controls on the front and very boring. But the curved front I think makes the TV53/63 look the best of the bunch.

Nice job !

TTFN,
Jon
Old 20th Mar 2007, 6:11 pm   #3
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Thyratron.

The pictures on both your sets are excellent and better than my TV56.

The Bush TV56 was one of the first 405-line TVs that I ever restored and they are excellent. Mine has slight tendency for the black-level to drift from one portion of the picture to the next, so occasionally the top of the picture may be slightly darker than the bottom, or perhaps a band of a darker section will be in the middle. It all depends on the overall level of brightness at any one particular part of the screen. This seems to be a fairly common fault on these though but I've always been too lazy to try and fix it.

Enclosed a picture of my TV56.

Thanks Thyratron.

From Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush TV56 June 20th 2002 03.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	8836  
Old 20th Mar 2007, 7:40 pm   #4
thyratron
Tetrode

Very many thanks for all the warm comments!
Mikey405,
The TV56 is looking great! what a super cabinet , and I think the test card is fine. Do you find it necessary to adjust the brill./gain to suit the ambient lighting for your digital camera? I find I have to tweak things to make a reasonable shot.

The black level thing is interesting.
In my experience rock solid black level is quite an elusive lady with all sorts of vision circuits.
I have tried different designs of circuit with home built sets and one would think that direct connecting of tube cathode to video output anode would be the best thing for passing the true DC component of the signal.

The best result I ever saw was with direct coupling of the tube cathode to the detector. Given enough swing this is simple and looks good. The Bush design with the cathode follower driver is an elegant solution.
What seems to make for pleasant pictures is having a tube/vision amplifier/detector that follows the correct y gamma response curve. The BBC dont seem too bothered about consistency in this area

Would anyone like to help with these issues?

THYRATRON

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 28th Dec 2007 at 10:53 am. Reason: S&P
Old 20th Mar 2007, 7:48 pm   #5
Ray Cooper
Retired Dormant Member

Thyratron:

Quote:
...I must say these chassis are -AN ABSOLUTE JOY- to work on.
The separate power pack and timebase panel has most of its caps and carbs on 'Tufnol' or paxolin panels that seems more like the underside of an H J LEAK amplifier...
Everything people have said about this rx in this thread is true.

From the point of view of the restorer, however, these sets contained the seeds of their own destruction. They were exceedingly easy beasts to modify and carve about, and were a favourite set of the TV-DX brigade in the early days - their line output stage was so simple that it would wind up to 625-lines (maybe even 819) without any distress whatsoever. So any specimen that you may find may not be exactly as the manufacturer intended.

Such was the specimen that I used for some years in the late 'sixties as my domestic BBC2 receiver. I had got at it extensively, to the extent of completely replacing the RF chassis with my own version (PC86/88 valve tuner, Pye solid-state IF strip, own design of shunt-regulated video amplifier, dead flat to 5MHz I do assure you

And the picture tube had been replaced with an AW36-48P that I'd scrounged from a Pye 2780 picture monitor. The focus was superb, scanning lines clearly visible at 625 on a 14" tube, displaying perfect interlace. Ah, those were the days...
Closed Thread