UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2007, 9:01 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Philips K35 and SCART

Hello folks. I have recently acquired a Philips K35 series set to pass on to a friend who was looking for a traditional looking (i.e. wooden) telly with the benefit of a SCART socket.

Whilst giving excellent off-air pictures, using a dvd player via the scart produces a yellow picture (i.e. no blue content) which is also very dim. Presumably this is down to incompatability rather than a problem with the set. I'm wondering if early scart sockets are wired differently to current ones, hence the problem. Can anyone confirm this?

Steve
Old 20th Feb 2007, 9:20 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips K35 and SCART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
I'm wondering if early scart sockets are wired differently to current ones, hence the problem. Can anyone confirm this?

Steve
Hi Steve. Not as far as I am aware. What model K35 is it? There was an early stereo model 22(26)CS3850 (stereo only via scart) that had RGB connections via scart BUT the RGB was not terminated at 75 ohm resulting in some odd results. I think it also upset the teletext display.

I doubt it's a wiring problem because the scart socket was standard and has remained so (although more of the unused pins are now used).

Rich.
Old 20th Feb 2007, 11:15 pm   #3
stuie319
Pentode

Hi Steve,

Is the scart cable a fully wired one? Some we used to come across supplied with kit were partially wired, ISTR some chassis used one of the RGB pins to feed in an S signal; although it might of course be my memory playing tricks again. Is it possible to switch the DVD player output to composite rather than RGB and see if this brings any improvement?

Regards, Stu
Old 21st Feb 2007, 9:16 pm   #4
Colourstar
Octode

Thanks Rich and Stu for your advice. A 'proper' SCART cable has indeed given full colour. There is still the problem of the picture being too dark though. In AV mode the up/down brightness and colour buttons and rotary contrast control are all inoperative, which isn't very helpful! As mentioned, off-air pictures are excellent.

I hoped there might be an internal preset to adjust levels on AV mode, but there are none on the board. The model number of the set, by the way, is 22CS5240- it's a 22 inch model with mono sound and IR remote.

Steve
Old 21st Feb 2007, 10:08 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
The model number of the set, by the way, is 22CS5240- it's a 22 inch model with mono sound and IR remote.

Steve

Are you sure that is K35? All the ones I remember had 3xxx as the number. I will check at work tomorrow but possibly the set you have is K40 . It was a long time ago!!

Rich.
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 1:49 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Hi Steve.

Just confirmed that this set is a System 4 style (K40 chassis). Should be no problems with RGB feed on any of these models. With an RGB feed, the brightness/colour controls will have no effect. Contrast may do however.

Rich.
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 8:27 pm   #7
Colourstar
Octode

Thanks for your advice Rich. Points duly noted.

Steve
Old 26th Feb 2007, 2:26 pm   #8
Michael Maurice

If I remeber correctly, the K35 was a development of the K30 which had a live chassis and no scart socket, A K40 makes more sense as it had a fully isolated chassis.
Old 26th Feb 2007, 3:37 pm   #9
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes it was a development of the K30 but there were some models 22(26) CS3850 that had an isolating transformer fitted so that a scart socket could be used. I had one of these sets for many years.

Rich.