UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2005, 11:23 am   #1
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Default PYE LV 30 RF section

Hi all I have just started work on a Pye LV 30 and the first thing I have noticed apart from a naff Brimistor and a o/c dropper, is quite a few split caps and a couple of burnt ones on the R/F section, they are those awfull Hunts miniture mould things there are 29 of them !!!! 0.001 uf 350 v there is so little room,I think I can remove the whole section from the chassis which should help a bit, can anyone suggest what I replace them with this is going to be a nasty fiddly job

Last edited by tvden; 28th Sep 2005 at 11:33 am.
Old 28th Sep 2005, 9:09 pm   #2
Danny
Heptode

Default Re: PYE LV 30 RF section

Hi den i would use litle blue disks thay ar cheap and small or if you want bigger caps i use the yellow ones from cpc . used disks in my lv30 with no problems .
Old 28th Sep 2005, 9:52 pm   #3
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Danny many thanks for that idea I had not thought of using disks, I will order some tomorrow from RS, I have got the r/f pannel out now so I will have a bit more room to play with, there does not seem very much in this little set but its fiddly, I had hoped with a few choice waxys replaced and a temp dropper assy to fire it up and see if I had any life but all these Hunts have put paid to that now , this is the console set, when I come to do the table model I will have a bit more experience but still loads of problems
Old 29th Sep 2005, 10:34 pm   #4
Danny
Heptode

yes sadly you will have to hunt the hunts out to cure future problems as thay will cause so much trouble you will end up insane like me!.
Old 4th Oct 2005, 8:10 am   #5
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

I have both the console and tabletop versions of this set. When I got mine I was rather horrified with these little Hunts horrors. I ordered a supply of 1000pf @ 450V from Maplins and then got down to each set. I found a number of these in very awkward places and very well hidden, it's very easy to miss one, I also believe there were one or two outside of the RF assembly if memory serves me correctly.

I noticed that most of them went to chassis on one side (you need to verify this with each one), so I carefully went through and replaced every one, but I didn't do the chassis connections until I had got every replacement condenser in place. Once I had done this I then carefully connected them to chassis, sometimes sharing a common connection with a number of the condensers. This did make it much easier.

When completed both sets worked well and are still giving a good reliable service.

I hope this may be of a little help.

Peter.
Old 4th Oct 2005, 8:36 am   #6
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Good morning,
are you talking about these?
I think the RF strip is the same in the FV1.

Kind regards Darius
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V4 def. Fassung ohne Schirmblech.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	1610  
Old 4th Oct 2005, 9:15 am   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Darius,
Very similar to the FV1 but the LV30 is TRF. The FV1 was PYE's first five channel superhet [FIVE VISION ONE] and continued with the FV2 and FV4 series. Great sets that give superb pictures. Alas all HUNTS horrors! Regards.JOHN.
Old 4th Oct 2005, 4:29 pm   #8
brianc
Rest in Peace

When restoring my LV30, I , like Den, removed the RF chassis to give better access. After changing the caps etc. I powered the chassis using a variac for the heaters and a bench HT supply. This meant that I could prove my work before re-installing it in the main chassis and made alignment very easy. This also worked very well with a Pye B16T (My bench is fitted with an isolating transformer so there was no risk using the variac)!

Cheers

Brian
Old 5th Oct 2005, 9:07 pm   #9
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all thanks for your input on this, I have been held up on this set waiting for some more caps to arrive, I now have them, there was also nasty 600v ac wax cap on the main tagboard, I finished the r/f chassis ok it was a bit tight in places !!! but not as bad as I had thought it would be, in the end I managed to get some 100pf 650v Vishay miniture caps !!! the same size as the ones I was replacing,I have made a temp mains dropper up and I am now replacing caps in the frame timebase ect, enough to try and fire the set up without causing damage.
Closed Thread