UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2008, 9:56 am   #1
Danny
Heptode

Default Motorola golden view

Hi i know this is american but its in uk ? so i will ask has anyone got a diagram for this set. its been got at and the cab need attention. i would like to see if i can get it going. and maybe convert it to uk. i also know many will give me the evils for altering it but it could be fun to get it on uk mains and maybe 405 as well. has anyone tried to convert american sets ?.it is ac/dc in design so this part should be easy. many thanks
Old 18th Nov 2008, 12:09 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Motorola golden view

The best way to run US sets in the UK is via an 110v transformer. Better than mucking about with the set.

The frame is only a change of 10Hz. Easy to change.

The line may need to be adjusted down to 405 - the oscillator stage. Should be easy to change either up or down, but you may have problems with the EHT.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 18th Nov 2008, 12:43 pm   #3
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
As Steve says the frame is just 10hz difference but if you go down to 10,125 hz on 405 instead of 15,570 you will have high EHT and also huge width, the easier option is 625, at 15,625 hz possibly not even a twiddle on the line hold.
Cheers
Trevor
Old 18th Nov 2008, 1:54 pm   #4
tubesrule
Hexode

Danny,
If this is a 7" or 8" set like the VT71, then it uses a separate RF derived EHT supply and plate deflection, so it can easily be modified for 625 or 405 use. Since the EHT supply is totally separate and not based on the line frequency, the line frequency can be changed at will. Also, since it uses plate deflection, there are no magnetics in either the line or frame oscillators and outputs making it easy to change their frequencies without any non-linearities.

If you can supply a model number, I can check for a diagram.

Darryl
Old 18th Nov 2008, 3:24 pm   #5
murphyv310
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesrule View Post
Danny,
If this is a 7" or 8" set like the VT71, then it uses a separate RF derived EHT supply and plate deflection, so it can easily be modified for 625 or 405 use. Since the EHT supply is totally separate and not based on the line frequency, the line frequency can be changed at will. Also, since it uses plate deflection, there are no magnetics in either the line or frame oscillators and outputs making it easy to change their frequencies without any non-linearities.

If you can supply a model number, I can check for a diagram.

Darryl
Hi
I stand corrected
Trevor
Old 18th Nov 2008, 3:32 pm   #6
tubesrule
Hexode

Of course everything I said was based on the assumption that this is a 7" or 8" set, the most common size of the time. If it is a 10" set or larger, than what Trevor and Steve stated is true. Motorola used the Golden View tag line on many of their sets, so there is no way of telling which type this is without more information.

Darryl
Old 19th Nov 2008, 12:22 am   #7
Danny
Heptode

Oh sorry i didnt know the model no as havent the back but i now know its a VT71 electrostatic deflection. once i have a diagram the set will be fun to convert its in a mess anyway so i dont feel i will be wrecking a good example and as it will have isues with the dropper unit anyway i thought getting it on 240v would be more practical for me. as for the timebase this shouldnt be much of a problem. but nothing can happen without a diagram as things are hanging of the shassis all over the place. many thanks Danny
Old 19th Nov 2008, 12:50 am   #8
tubesrule
Hexode

Danny,
The good news is this set already uses a plug-in mains dropper (it looks like a valve made out of a metal mesh) so it will be easy to modify. The bad news is there were about a dozen variations on the chassis used in this set, so you need to get the chassis number to get the correct schematic. It should be stamped on the back of the chassis, and be "TS-4*" with the asterik being the revision letter.

Darryl
Old 21st Nov 2008, 12:25 am   #9
Danny
Heptode

Hi thanks for the info darryl the no as far as i can see is ts-4G or the G could be a six with parts missing this set is poorly and will need a lot of love to get it to go again . Ive noticed another problem in that some of the crt pins have been broken out of the base although there are wire ends to solder to its just more work . but i think it will be fun as its so so difrent to uk sets of 1948 . where does one go to look for the diagram and component layout for the old girl. many thanks Danny
Old 21st Nov 2008, 3:52 am   #10
tubesrule
Hexode

Danny,
I scanned the manual, skipping pages dedicated to the early revisions, and it came to 75 pages and 20MB, so I don't think the mods would appreciate me posting it here ;-) I uploaded it to my site, so you can grab it at: http://converter.home.comcast.net/~converter/VT71.zip

Also, odds are the mask around the crt is melted and turned to stone as they all exhibit this. Someone is finally reproducing this mask of you're interested: http://www.renovatedradios.com/parts.html#rubber

Have fun!
Darryl
Old 21st Nov 2008, 9:41 am   #11
yagosaga
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Danny,

I have two Motorolas:

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...orola/vt71.htm

I operate these sets with 115V A.C. with a U.S. step-down transformer. For antenna input, I have a U.S. R.F. modulator. Video input is 625 lines with 25 frames interlaced. This works very well. I would not try to operate the set with 405 lines. And not with 525 lines / 60 Hz due to strong hum bars in the picture.

Kind regards,
Eckhard
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 11:15 pm   #12
Danny
Heptode

Hi many thanks i have downloaded the diagram . and yes the mask has gone south so i may get in touch with the parts people. the set is in nead of major repairs and i hoped for it to be an xmas project . and yes i could use it on 625 and see how well it performs . thanks again Danny
Closed Thread