UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2020, 8:40 pm   #21
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC news - monochrome man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I've not been particularly of this in recent years, but I can well believe that monochrome material does look better on a monochrome screen.
They will certainly look different - the colour temperature of the phosphor and probably its gamma are different - remember the Mullard trade test film describing Illuminant C? Similarly, there are those involved in film restoration who swear by the quality of image given by nitrate stock over safety film.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 8:52 pm   #22
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

It's up on iplayer now - segment is from 22:07 to 25:10 (minutes into the programme) approx.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 9:11 pm   #23
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I've not been particularly of this in recent years...
It was only when this was quoted that I realise I omitted a word, it should have read "I've not been particularly aware of this in recent years...".
Old 7th Jan 2020, 9:16 pm   #24
chriswood1900
Octode

Well done Simon I watched it on Points West whilst having my supper.
Whilst you refer to the warm up time I find some of the modern flat screen sets take just as long to boot up and sort themselves out as the later b&w sets did.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 9:18 pm   #25
duncanlowe
Nonode

For future reference, if you have Freesat, it will show your 'local' version of BBC on 101. But because the signals for all regions are there you can find other regions live on the 9xx channels.

Note that I do realise that this is the same signal as sky, just with the added freesat EPG, but it means you can still watch without involving Monsieur M.
Old 8th Jan 2020, 1:26 am   #26
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks for the link Sirius. I think Simon was having a job to keep his face straight! It was obviously a bit boring so they had to bring in that problem with the dress and try to make it a link I didn't mind that really of course but as Neil implied, these "local" programs are often so astoundingly anodyne and repetitive it's amazing! They are all the same in Lancs, Sussex, Oxford and Northampton for sure. I'm convinced there's a place somewhere that they breed the glassy eyed presenters. The One Show [Ken and Barby] is the ultimate result. Having said that, the Late Points West edition tonight dropped Simon but still had a lot of tech stuff. It's random though, with all the animals, children and sport you have to wade through as well. I may go for Freesat in Rammy Duncan as the number of Terrestial Channels from the Bolton/Ramsbottom Relay is very few. I appreciate the info and will cope. Mr M gets in everywhere if he can! It's Sirus's thread and Simon's achievement but everyone's joint Forum input is really appreciated.

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 8th Jan 2020 at 1:33 am.
Old 8th Jan 2020, 11:31 am   #27
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Thanks you for the kind comments. It was a very interesting experience. There were three of us in my small congested workshop plus a large ruck sack full of communication equipment, which they were struggling with, and the large camera which she had to put on her shoulder when she used it. They could not get a direct link back to the studio so had to go over the cellular phone network using a device which used three or four SIM cards! The talkback facility worked over their mobile phones and seemed to work ok..
All this going on did produce some mobile phone interference effectsa to the pictures on the televisions but it was not to bad.
As for the interview it was a bit of a blur and you did not have time to say half the things you wanted to say.
Most distracting of all during the live broadcast was the delay. I was talking into the camera and to Liz Deacon, one of our more well known local TV presenters, but out of the side of my eye I could see myself on my 20" ITT black and white telly but with a considerable delay. I had to really concentrate on looking and listening to Liz and focusing on the camera.
All in all an interesting experience and I suppose I have enjoyed my few minutes of fame which is already consigned to history.
One final point it was a bit surreal talking about black and white tellies whilst completely overlooking my pride and joy and by far andaway one of my biggest technical achievements my 1971 Decca Bradford colour tyelevision.
Old 8th Jan 2020, 2:38 pm   #28
beery
Heptode

Hi Simon,
I loved the interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
One final point it was a bit surreal talking about black and white tellies whilst completely overlooking my pride and joy and by far andaway one of my biggest technical achievements my 1971 Decca Bradford colour tyelevision.
Yep, I saw that, it looked good.

This makes me think, how long before the idea of anyone watching in standard definition (625 line) seems odd. Surely there can't be that many people that are not using HD sources? How about a discounted licence for those who don't use HD at all

Of course, thinking a bit more, I realise that SD may be around for quite a while in the form of DVDs...

Cheers
Andy
Old 8th Jan 2020, 3:40 pm   #29
julie_m
Dekatron

Well, some people haven't got HD eyesight .....
Old 8th Jan 2020, 3:59 pm   #30
Tazman1966
Nonode

Nice one Simon. I finally got round to watching it and it was nice that you got the chance to speak knowledgeably rather than an interviewer that hadn't done any research. Now if only we could attract more new people into this hobby to keep it going...
Old 8th Jan 2020, 4:04 pm   #31
BristolHoxa
Triode

I'm local so have seen your piece on the BBC timeline - after I found the starting handle for the computer. Nice and clear about the tech and lovely screen pictures. It was so good I watched it twice! Really good ad for the joy of vintage preservation and use. Congratulations!
Old 8th Jan 2020, 6:43 pm   #32
dsergeant
Octode

Great stuff Simon, enjoyed watching it (though had to go through the palaver of logging in to watch the Points West bit).
My nearest bit of fame was an interview I did on BBC Radio Berkshire some years ago about our amateur radio club. This was done over the telephone (real landline in those days) and although I had prepared what I wanted to say it turned out totally different as the presenter always catches you out.
Still on line at http://davesergeant.com/g3ymcrberks.mp3 (my recording on the radio downstairs).

Dave
Old 8th Jan 2020, 11:13 pm   #33
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by beery View Post
How about a discounted licence for those who don't use HD at all
As another one whose eyesight is probably now SD at best, I would be in favour of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beery View Post
Of course, thinking a bit more, I realise that SD may be around for quite a while in the form of DVDs...
You mean they're not all being binned in favour of Blu Ray!
Old 9th Jan 2020, 12:06 am   #34
Richard_FM
Nonode

It's only recently that programmes shot on pre-HD videotape have been released on Blu-ray, so there's still a market for DVDs.

I don't know how different the mastering & pressing costs are for DVD vs Blu-Ray for smaller production companies.
Old 12th Jan 2020, 9:22 am   #35
Mikey405
Octode

Well done Simon. A tip top job.

Kind regards.

From Mike.