UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2007, 4:49 pm   #1
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Default Band Waggon - An Arthur Askey Film For TV Collectors

I only recently came across this film, which has now had an official ITV DVD release, and Ijust wanted to mention it here as it's a real must for TV enthusiasts and collectors.

Jasmine Bligh is in the film, which was made in 1940 (so in reality television was not transmitting due to the war), there are shots of Broadcasting House and a number of different television sets.

There's a very nice sequence where Jasmine Bligh is seen as the in-vision continuity announcer, starting, as was normal at the time "This is the BBC Television Station at Alexandra Palace".

There are also studio shots (not sure if these are genuinely at AP or not). What makes this even more interesting is that the film was made at Lime Grove, which of course the BBC would purchase for television use 9 years later.

There are some very nice Jach Hylton numbers in the film, I imagine much of it is probably just as may well have been seen on television in the pre-war era.

If anyone wants to see this you can find the DVD easily at Amazon, and I'm sure elsewhere. I think other collectors will enjoy it, and it's also nice to have to watch on the 405 sets.

I'd be interested to hear other's opinions of the television related parts of the film. I do wonder if any other films of the era may include such footage as this.

All the best,

Peter.
Old 29th Mar 2007, 5:42 pm   #2
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: Band Waggon - An Arthur Askey Film For TV Collectors

I completely agree Peter - a great film and lots of fun. I've got a VHS copy somewhere, I think on 405-lines. The Jasmine Bligh sequences are as near as it gets to watching live 1939 television.

Steve
Old 3rd Apr 2007, 10:39 pm   #3
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: Band Waggon - An Arthur Askey Film For TV Collectors

I've got 'Meet Mr Lucifer' (1953) on 405-line VHS somewhere. A lovely Ealing comedy based on the arrival of a television set and its dramatic impact on life, with period glamour from Kay Kendal included and the typical British humour of the time.

Steve