UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2007, 11:25 pm   #1
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Sony KV1320 (3AT2 valve version)

Hi All

After sorting out my Sony KV1320 MKII, I decided to have a look at the first version of the Sony KV1320 that uses a 3AT2 high voltage rectifier valve. The serial number is 018907; I have not been able to find a date of manufacture, but I did find a sticker '68 27 W'. Does this mean 1968 week 27?
Can anyone tell me the year when these KV1320 first became available?

The problem with my set is it's DEAD - no fuses o/c. I've not tested the large mains transformer but R618 4.7 ohms feed resistor to the vertical centre control is burnt and o/c. This is the only fault that's visible; no leaking caps or dry joints etc, but the TV looks like it was very well used by its previous owner(s).

The KV1320 looks a lot harder to work on than the KV1320 MKII, with the chassis needing to be removed to change the caps in the centre of the tv on the tagstrips.

Before I start work on this TV, I'm going to get the service manual.
Do any members here have the service manual they would be willing to sell me, and the 3AT2 valve? My valve is probably well past it.

Regards

Marcus.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOP.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	8076   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOTTOM.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	8077   Click image for larger version

Name:	LOPT.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	8078   Click image for larger version

Name:	TOSHIBA 3AT2.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	8079  

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 3rd Nov 2007 at 11:58 am. Reason: Casing, s & p.
Old 5th Feb 2007, 12:51 am   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony KV1320 3AT2 Valve version

Have you got a manual for this?....please!

Marcus - Get the cabinet as clean as possible, inside and out, and then, for the silver bit at the front, get one of those paint markers (Hobbycraft?) and try that.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 5th Feb 2007, 1:16 am   #3
Dual Standard
Hexode

Keith Geddes The Setmakers dates the 132OUB to 1970 when it was priced at £192.50, I am pretty certain they were not available before 1970.

I am a tad confused as to why a pukka manual is needed when there are pretty comprehensive details (inc circuit, board layout, scope traces etc.) of the mk1 (mains transformer & valve EHT rectifier) chassis in the 1972-73 volume of R&TVS.

Mike
Old 5th Feb 2007, 12:27 pm   #4
Ken
Hexode

Hi All

I added to the original thread that Marcus posted here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=14454.

I have a manual but it is a not very great photocopy, and is 68 pages plus a 14 page supplement. I don't think that much of it would photocopy well but the circuit diagrams might. I can do this if it is any help.
I don't have a scanner and so can't scan them.

There are quite a few differences in the PSU, tube base and the panel on which the focus is set up (P panel) as compared with the Mk2. So far I have replaced three electrolytics on the P panel and two resistors on the tube base. I would have changed the electrolytic on the tube base if I had had one to hand.
Of the three electrolytics two of them showed signs of a physical leak and one showed zero capacitance. Because of this I was thiking of changing all the electrolytics, but perhaps this is overkill.
I had assumed that the resistors were 10% but the manual says they are 5% unless otherwise stated, so I have a few more to change on the tube base panel.
This is the first TV I have tried to renovate.

Regards,

Ken.
Old 5th Feb 2007, 9:44 pm   #5
Ken
Hexode

Hi All

My wife will try and scan the circuit diagram plus the list of changes shown in the supplement at work. If it works OK I will post them here. Hope this helps.

Alan, I can't find C467 in the components list or the supplement. Could it be another number?

Regards,

Ken.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 3rd Nov 2007 at 12:02 pm.
Old 5th Feb 2007, 11:32 pm   #6
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Sorry Ken,

I put it down to brain fade. I think I need some new memory modules.

I have just looked in my Sony fault guide and the quoted component is C532, not C467. I ca'nt give you the value, as I'm still looking for my 72-73 Radio and TV servicing. It is of course in the reference oscillator. This fault also applies to other models in the KV13XX series.

With regard to the availability of the 3AT2, a valve (toob?) specilalist in Walnut Creek California lists its stock as 1327

It also has a minimum order of 300 dollars!

ALAN
Old 6th Feb 2007, 12:36 am   #7
Ken
Hexode

Hi Alan

C532 is shown in the parts list I have here for the Mk2 but not the Mk1. Its not listed in the supplement for the Mk1 either. Dont think I will be buying a 3AT2 from your source. How many would you get for $300?

Regards,

Ken.
Old 6th Feb 2007, 3:31 am   #8
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Sony KV1320 3AT2 Valve version

Hi All

Got to the workshop early on Monday (6.20AM ) My workshop is at my parents about a mile away from where I live.
I just sat there for few minutes in a cold workshop, waiting for the heater to warm up but decided to read the text pages on my parents' TV in their nice warm house!
The workshop still felt cold after nearly 2 hours with the heater on full but the KV1320 was looking at me with a look of PLEASE repair me.

The fault with the TV is that it blows the fuse in the plug. I'm thinking the mains transformer is , with it being rusty and looking like it's been in a damp place for far too long; I don't have any spares for this TV.

After thinking about the KV1320 I remembered my old friend Norman owns a Sony portable TV just sat in his garage.

Norman agreed to bring me his now damaged Sony TV (TUBE Neck broke ) after something heavy fell on to the poor thing
With the new (old) transformer fitted the little Sony came to life but with a very poor picture - no focus with a purple display that when you switched off, left a blue and red dot in the centre of the screen

With Norman's 3AT2 valve now in my TV the picture is quite good and after a few tweaks on the controls, I've not replaced any of the caps in my TV and here are the pics

The Sony KV1320 MKII is at the top (Deal or no Deal) and the Sony KV1320 at the bottom displaying test card F.

The TV smells just like a valve TV when it's on!!! even though it only uses one valve

Regards

Marcus........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pic 1.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	8123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 2.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	8124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 3.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	8125  

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 3rd Nov 2007 at 12:22 pm. Reason: Readability for archive
Old 6th Feb 2007, 9:27 am   #9
dsergeant
Octode

Well if you think it is the mains transformer you won't get very far as it ain't got one, nor have most TVs. The set uses a non isolated regulated psu so I guess the transistor in it is shorted. There is in fact a transformer across the mains, it supplies the crt heater supply, what a strange set....

Circuits in the blue Sony service manual compilation I have had for many years. But far too small print to even think about scanning.

Dave
Old 6th Feb 2007, 2:14 pm   #10
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Dave

The Sony KV1320 has a mains transformer on the left side. It supplies 110 V to the set.
My Sony KV1320 now works fine; it just needed the mains transformer and a new 3AT2 valve.
The Sony KV1320 MKII is different inside to the Sony KV1320 the Sony KV1320 MKII HAS no mains transformer.

Marcus......
Old 6th Feb 2007, 10:43 pm   #11
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Dave AKA dsergeant

Quote (Well if you think it is the mains transformer you won't get very far as it ain't got one)

Here are the pics, Dave, of the mains transformer fitted to the Sony KV1320 and a pic from Radio & Television servicing 1972/1973 showing the power supply, The mains transformer is T906 and the output is 100 Volts and feeds the regulator and 100 volts to transformer T902 for the tube heaters 6.3 Volt supply.

After fitting the new old mains transformer (T906) and a new 3 core mains lead ( The old one was sticky ) and a 3AT2 valve.
My Sony KV1320 is working spot-on

Marcus......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sony MainsTransformer.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	8134   Click image for larger version

Name:	New lead.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	8135   Click image for larger version

Name:	R&TV 72-73.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	8136  

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 3rd Nov 2007 at 12:26 pm. Reason: Unnecessary capitals
Old 12th Feb 2007, 10:17 pm   #12
Dr-Watts
Heptode

That's the first 1320 I've seen with a good tube !

I did one up a couple of years ago, but everyone looked cold