UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2007, 2:22 pm   #21
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: The earliest television aerials

Curious that they boast about a low capacitance. I thought the idea was to have a 75R constant impedance, the absolute values of inductance and capacitance are then irrelevant.
Old 9th Feb 2007, 2:59 pm   #22
Panrock
Nonode

The spec also mentions a capacitance at a certain frequency. Can capacitance as such vary with frequency then? (Obviously its effect will, but that's not the same thing). Somebody please put me right on this. I'm clearly ignorant on rf matters.

Steve

PS. Hang on, it is something to do with 'skin effect' ?

Last edited by Panrock; 9th Feb 2007 at 3:08 pm. Reason: Thought of something else
Old 9th Feb 2007, 6:28 pm   #23
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc View Post
Hi All
I have found an advert for Belling-Lee coaxial connectors in the January 1947 Wireless World where they are described as "new". The picture attached shows how little the construction has changed in 60 years - they must have got it right first time! In March of the same year, they describe the Type L503 dipole & reflector aerial for TV.
Cheers
Brian
That agrees with the 1948 New Moston Ferranti 9" TRF I once had that had three co-ax aerial sockets for different attenuation.

Regarding single dipoles the aerials, there were a few used for Band I in Bath, in districts that were higher up like Lansdown and Odd Down.
Old 9th Feb 2007, 6:56 pm   #24
Mick Mearman
Retired Dormant Member

In 1949 we had a 'H' aerial for a Philips 385U the lead was co-ax but had 2 cores, red & green this was wired directly into the set via a 3pin 2amp plug & socket so that the aerial could be unplugged and an extension plugged in so that the set could be moved to another room. There was also a thick red wire which came down from the aerial into the ground. I don't know what this arrangment would be called? some sort of screened twin feeder? maybe the set could accept this arrangment or a balanced feeder? would there be a transformer at the masthead or would each core go to each half of the dipole? what was the earth wire for?
Mick
Closed Thread