UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2020, 6:14 pm   #41
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Re: BBC R4 Extra 'Codebreakers': 'Numbers' Stations

Not sure if I mentioned this when the thread started but the late Alan Sillitoe wrote "The German Numbers Woman" based on an ex-RAF W/Op, blinded in action, who becomes a keen SWL. Sillitoe is better known for "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning", etc.

Sillitoe was involved with radio in the RAF during the 1940s in the then Malaya and wrote a couple of stories based on his experiences. After his RAF service he was hospitalised for a considerable period.

In his novel "The Lost Flying Boat" the a/c has the standard T1154/R1155 installation fitted and Sillitoe obviously knew how they worked. There's also one of his short stories about a chap who buys a war surplus receiver and has a nervous breakdown, called ""The Magic Box".

Some web sites give the Lincolnshire Poacher as coming from an SIS station in Buckinghamshire but I think Cyprus is a lot more likely as the Bucks station was demolished in the late 80s.

Cheers

Roger

Last edited by G3VKM_Roger; 5th Mar 2020 at 6:25 pm. Reason: Add
Old 5th Mar 2020, 6:15 pm   #42
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It was "Noyyun", which was the way I was taught to say it when doing German HF radio voice-procedure - similarly "Zvo" instead of Zwei, "Funnuf" for Funf, and "Nul" for Zero.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 6:16 pm   #43
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Thanks info - not having a recording I had forgotten those others.
Zvo in particular.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 10:28 pm   #44
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Not knowing any better, I thought that was the normal way German numbers were pronounced.
Yes, I suppose like "Nine-er" and don't forget "Fife".

Some of the phonetics were pronounced strangly, one English language number station had the callsign "Kilo Shar-lee"
Old 6th Mar 2020, 10:29 am   #45
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
It was "Noyyun", which was the way I was taught to say it when doing German HF radio voice-procedure - similarly "Zvo" instead of Zwei, "Funnuf" for Funf, and "Nul" for Zero.
Zvo (sp?) is also a regional variation of Zwei. I have heard it in use in Austria.
Old 6th Mar 2020, 1:22 pm   #46
eddie_ce
Hexode

In radio traffic we still use the following today:

Number 2: written zwei (svy as in spy) spoken zwo (swough as in though) this to prevent confusion with number 3 written drei (drry) spoken drei (drry)

Number 5: written fünf (foomph as in oomph) spoken füneff (foon-eff)

Number 9: written neun (noyn) spoken neu-en (noyen) not sure where the g in an earlier post comes from.

Hope this might be of some interest.

Last edited by eddie_ce; 6th Mar 2020 at 1:26 pm. Reason: It seems that I'm a bit late to the party :-)
Closed Thread