UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2022, 10:23 am   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Q max cutter question

Other punches and dies can be made, but they really should be in tool steel and hardened with a ground finish, so this makes them rather expensive. It might be worth looking further to see if the manufacturer does other tooling for it.

Non-round tooling could be done with an extra drilled hole for an alignment pin.

RS do/did a bench press using a pinion and rack drive from a long handle. Look at the cost of the tooling you needed with it! This hydraulic kit is amazingly cheap in comparison and avoids the high stress concentration on the gear teeth.

David
Old 11th Feb 2022, 3:45 pm   #22
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

The Hydraulic punch set comes with three different size of mandrel so I checked and these fit the punches I bought in the past from RS and Greenlee. You can also buy separately a range of different size punches including square and rectangular. Again they have these in a number of sizes. I note the supplier to Amazon for these is AimTools in the U.K. and you can buy the accessories from their website. They also have a large range of other import tools I am trying desperately not to purchase! The punch is only £59 on the website but not sure on shipping costs.

As I said in my review I really like this punch set but it’s only worth buying if you want to cut large holes in thicker steel or stainless. There isn’t an advantage for smaller punches as the hydraulic head is heavy.

I put a lot of other information in the show notes of the video etc

Last edited by ChristianFletcher; 11th Feb 2022 at 3:54 pm. Reason: Lots of bad spelling
Old 11th Feb 2022, 3:54 pm   #23
barrymagrec
Octode

The RS (and Farnell) tooling was quite expensive but used with a proper Fly Press it works very well and lasts well too. No doubt it was available cheaper elsewhere but RS is quick and convenient.

The rack and pinion bench press was a bit lightweight if you were doing anything chunkier than 16swg aluminium.

The D connector punches only worked with the RS press because they had a tapered entry so if you wanted to punch near the edge of the material it distorted. Grinding them off flat and using with a decent press sorted that problem.
Old 11th Feb 2022, 4:01 pm   #24
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Wow Those D connectors are a pain to cut out!
Old 11th Feb 2022, 5:34 pm   #25
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have a DB size punch (for DB25 connectors) that works like a traditional Qmax cutter, it doesn't need a press or a hydraulic cylinder. Basically :

Drill centre hole (I think it's 8mm).

Bolt a little steel template to the workpiece and drill the 2 connector mountng holes, 3mm

Remove the template.

Assemble the 2 halves of the die around the workpiece with the dowel pins through those mounting holes you've just drilled.

Fit the punch with its bolt through that centre hole, fit the ball race, washer and nut

Tighten the nut.

You have a very nice DB size hole at the end.

I've never used it on anything thicker than aluminium project boxes, etc, but it does a great job. The only downside is the price. One day I'll at least justify getting a DE size on (for DE9 connectors) but I could use the entire set...
Old 11th Feb 2022, 11:50 pm   #26
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Your video was definitely worth a watch, Christian, thanks!
Old 12th Feb 2022, 9:43 am   #27
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Thanks Nick

Tony can you still buy the DB punches I have never seen them for sale ?
Old 12th Feb 2022, 11:31 am   #28
Dusty_Bin
Diode

I have a B9A Q-Max cutter in the drawer that I haven't used for 50 years or so. I remember that I was always worried about blunting the points that pierce the metal first, so I would drill two small holes which made it much easier to get the hole started.
Old 12th Feb 2022, 1:01 pm   #29
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianFletcher View Post
Thanks Nick

Tony can you still buy the DB punches I have never seen them for sale ?
RS still do something similar made by Greenlee :

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/punch-die-kits/4778729
Old 12th Feb 2022, 3:24 pm   #30
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Thanks Tony

I’m sure they can be worth their weight in gold for production work it’s just the cost about the same. Thanks for the link.
Old 12th Feb 2022, 4:24 pm   #31
wireman
Heptode

Nice video.

I suppose one disadvantage of the screw-in type is that you would be putting a big torque on the panel, not so bad when in a vise.
Old 12th Feb 2022, 4:38 pm   #32
Radio Wrangler

The Rotex Turret Punch

https://rotexpunch.com

For production work in the days before CNC and full custom tooling, you used one of these. There was one in the workshop at HP. Brilliant machine. Some fool gave it away to an outside contractor!

Centre pop your panel, and then you could feel for the pip at the centre of the punch you'd selected dropping into the centre punch mark. Pull the levver (it's American!) and voila!

You could also nibble with it.

David