UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2021, 10:36 am   #21
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Default Re: Grundig use of BOY in model names?

We have two Grundig Yacht boys, one bought from Comet in about 1968 and has travel all round Europe and South as far as Rome on family camping holidays and now is in my workshop. In all that time its had just one capacitor fail in the power supply. The other Yacht boy I bought from a jumble sale for 50p as not working, the live was disconnected in the 13 amp plug, it has never failed. Both now need a pair of small knobs. Ted
Old 19th Apr 2021, 10:59 am   #22
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepilot View Post
https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/gr...?language_id=1
Short summary:
In Funk Technik magazine, 1 Jan 1950 there was a competition to choose a name for the Weltklang-Reisesuper 216B. BOY won, being suggested by 328 people.
Thanks, that's very interesting, and seems a conclusive answer... So there's no real sense to the "Boy" name, just the randomness of democratic process.
Mike
Old 19th Apr 2021, 11:56 am   #23
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
So there's no real sense to the "Boy" name, just the randomness of democratic process.
Mike
I don't think it was democratic in the sense that it got the most votes. If you read the announcement of results it seems that Mrs. Grundig and the judges chose the suggestion that they thought best so presumably suggestions like the Adolf were immediately disqualified We can only speculate as to why they chose an English word. Did they think it would appeal to British and American troops?

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 19th Apr 2021, 12:33 pm   #24
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Was 'boy' not seen as an English colloquialism at the time: 'You, boy!' and the snappiness might've appealed as a selling point?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 19th Apr 2021, 12:37 pm   #25
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
So there's no real sense to the "Boy" name, just the randomness of democratic process.
Mike
I don't think it was democratic in the sense that it got the most votes. If you read the announcement of results it seems that Mrs. Grundig and the judges chose the suggestion that they thought best so presumably suggestions like the Adolf were immediately disqualified We can only speculate as to why they chose an English word. Did they think it would appeal to British and American troops?
Yes, I imagine the occupying forces must have represented a significant market in early 1950s Germany.
Old 19th Apr 2021, 12:37 pm   #26
Reelman
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
The early transistor Mini Boy was an idea before its time, a pocket set with home docking station in the early '60s: doesn't seem to have sold very well here, I've only ever met one example. The home unit had a much better speaker system, I don't remember whether it also contained larger capacity batteries.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundig_mini_boy_200.html

Paul
It came in several versions although probably just cosmetic changes. Mine only connects a larger speaker via a standard 3.5mm earphone socket, no additional power. I wonder if the “docking station” was an afterthought? The
Socket is just where you would expect an earphone one to be.

Google translate says that “boy” means the same in English and German although it was “Junge” when I was at school. Perhaps the English word has passed into German through the Grundig connection? Perhaps one of our German friends could comment?

Peter
Old 19th Apr 2021, 2:24 pm   #27
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The boarding school I went to between 1975 and 1980 had a Party Boy 500 in the common room of each dormitory (alongside a mono Philips TV), on mains power and invariably tuned to Radio 1 on MW.

It is a good sound set. I have one here, bought around 20 years ago, that gets used periodically. It was last used for the Absolute Radio VE Day special last year.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 19th Apr 2021, 11:50 pm   #28
michamoo
Hexode

Rescued this one from a skip last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201124_122708.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	232197  
Old 20th Apr 2021, 9:36 am   #29
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I have a Party Boy 100 in the barn for when I'm chopping wood. Still works a treat, covered in sawdust and crud. In the '70s, after much deliberation between Hacker and Grundig, I lashed out on a Concert Boy 1100 from Curry's. I can date the purchase because not long afterwards I put the diamond stickers on the dial for the new BBC station markers.

But the best Grundig set I came across was the Transistor 865 (a.k.a. Mariner) my dad used to have: beautifully made - similar to the Yacht Boy in appearance, but no 'Boy' appended to it. I remember listening to BBC Radio Carlisle (now Radio Cumbria) for the first broadcast on it!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 20th Apr 2021, 9:41 am   #30
paulsherwin

I use a rather battered Party Boy 209 as my everyday bathroom radio. Power comes from a pair of 18650 cells which I recharge every year or so.
Old 20th Apr 2021, 11:32 am   #31
Richard_FM
Nonode

My Dad put the diamond stickers on his Elite Boy 700, I think this model was introduced in 1976, and the frequency change was in November 1978.